cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connect hp printer

Elle828
I've Been Around

Hi I just got new modem. How do I connect my wireless printer? I have a HP printer and a PC laptop.  Also do I still need my router? TX in advance.

***EDITED LABELS*** 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: connect hp printer

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Can you look at the back of the modem, specifically the product sticker and let us know which model of modem you have: CGN3, CGN3ACR, CGN3ACSMR, CGNM-3552, CGN3 or DPC-3825.  

If its a CGN3 series modem, can you log into the modem and see what Software Version (Firmware) is currently loaded as shown on the STATUS page.  That page comes up automatically when you log into the modem.  

You should be able to connect the printer to the modem by following the printer's installation instructions, either via ethernet or wifi, depending on what the printer has available.  

What model of router do you have?  There are many good reasons to keep using a router.  First and foremost is that the Hitron modems are not stellar wifi performers, so, if you have a router with external antenna and gigabit WAN and LAN ports that gives you good wifi performance, you will probably find that running the router gives you better wifi coverage in your home.  It all depends on what the modem and router provides in terms of 2.4 and 5 Ghz capabilities and 802.11ac capability in the 5 Ghz band.

The router will continue to give you access to all of the LAN network settings that you might need to run your devices.  With the modem, you have access to a limited number of settings while Tech Support has access to the remaining settings.  Port forwarding will be much easier on the router, so, if you're a gamer, this will be important.

Privacy is another issue.  With a router in place, your ISP which could be any ISP cannot see your network beyond the router, so, there is a degree of privacy provided with a router in place. 

So, there are good reasons to run a router.  The age of your router and the age of its firmware are a consideration as well.  If the firmware has not been updated for a couple of years you should be looking for an update due to security issues that have come up over the last couple of years that affect a good number of routers.  If there is no firmware update available, and you want to continue to use a router, it will probably be time to look for a new router from a company that provides updates for any model that you might be interested in, and you could also consider the possibility of loading third part firmware on the router as well.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Re: connect hp printer

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Can you look at the back of the modem, specifically the product sticker and let us know which model of modem you have: CGN3, CGN3ACR, CGN3ACSMR, CGNM-3552, CGN3 or DPC-3825.  

If its a CGN3 series modem, can you log into the modem and see what Software Version (Firmware) is currently loaded as shown on the STATUS page.  That page comes up automatically when you log into the modem.  

You should be able to connect the printer to the modem by following the printer's installation instructions, either via ethernet or wifi, depending on what the printer has available.  

What model of router do you have?  There are many good reasons to keep using a router.  First and foremost is that the Hitron modems are not stellar wifi performers, so, if you have a router with external antenna and gigabit WAN and LAN ports that gives you good wifi performance, you will probably find that running the router gives you better wifi coverage in your home.  It all depends on what the modem and router provides in terms of 2.4 and 5 Ghz capabilities and 802.11ac capability in the 5 Ghz band.

The router will continue to give you access to all of the LAN network settings that you might need to run your devices.  With the modem, you have access to a limited number of settings while Tech Support has access to the remaining settings.  Port forwarding will be much easier on the router, so, if you're a gamer, this will be important.

Privacy is another issue.  With a router in place, your ISP which could be any ISP cannot see your network beyond the router, so, there is a degree of privacy provided with a router in place. 

So, there are good reasons to run a router.  The age of your router and the age of its firmware are a consideration as well.  If the firmware has not been updated for a couple of years you should be looking for an update due to security issues that have come up over the last couple of years that affect a good number of routers.  If there is no firmware update available, and you want to continue to use a router, it will probably be time to look for a new router from a company that provides updates for any model that you might be interested in, and you could also consider the possibility of loading third part firmware on the router as well.

Topic Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation