cancellation fees

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: cancellation fees

I understand the 30 days notice to cancel and the early cancellation fee. The issue I have is being billed for one months service in lieu of 30 days notice as well as a portion of the ecf applying to that same month. As a direct result of that issue, I have given the 30 days notice to shut off the cable and internet. It will be shut off on May 18th. Two other accounts will be giving notice within the next couple of days, and a fourth will be giving notice 30 days before her contract expires in 3 months. All this over $60.00. 

I've Been Around

New legislation about to pass from the Ontario government. Contract will have a minimal cancellation fee now (around $50) plus the amount you own on a subsidized phones (a rogers tab). 

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/04/25/ontario-plans-new-law-to-make-cellphone-contracts-more-...

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello fuzailt

Rogers already has something similar called Rogers Flextab. Its been happening since January 2012. All you need to pay is what you owe on the device fee & $12 disconnetion fee. Here let me explain how it works.

1) Pick the device you want and pay a low initial amount when you sign up on a term agreement.

2) See your balance reduce automatically each month, until it reaches $0

3) Pay off your remaing balance any time to be free of commitments or to upgrade again.

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/flextab

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As meowmix said, on any plans signed up AFTER jan 2012, there is no more cancelation fees, just paying off the hardware credit.

Now, that legislation, COULD take effect to the existing contract on the old system though. (which might be nice for some people to get out or early upgrade).

Now... if they so chose to CHANGE the length on the term lengths for the tab..  it would be fine.  People just have to realise, IF that happens, they WILL be paying more money up front for the phone.

I've Been Around

I agree with ceggen. It is not appropriate to charge a month of full service fees (which include the hardware fee for the month), and then also charge the ECF on the same month. This is double-charging for the hardware in that month. 

I ported my number away from Rogers (without canceling my account) and it is at that point that Rogers "puts the screws" to the customer, knowing that they are no longer a future asset and instead leeching everything possible from the past service contract.

I had been a monthly Rogers customer from the days of pagers, I'm talking $20 a month in the early 90's up to $150 a month with the iPhone 3G and then battling back down to $80 a month recently. And after two decades of customer loyalty and thousands of dollars for service, Rogers customer service did worse than fall flat.

Rogers earned my enmity, and now I provide negative word-of-mouth for that company.

The first scam that Rogers runs, is that when a number is ported, they "automatically cancel" the account, which prevents the customer from removing services like international texting, unlimited incoming, for the final month. Though Rogers has fully flexible contracts, the moment your number is ported, they freeze your services in-place in order to get as much money as possible, even though the contract requirements are nothing more than voice (and sometimes data) service. The second scam is to charge the ECF for the final month that the full service fees are charged, effectively double-billing the hardware for a month.

THE RIGHT WAY TO PORT A NUMBER:

Call Rogers, negotiate all your services away from your contract. Voicemail, call answer, everything. Get onto a "retention plan" and drop the data down to the lowest possible fee.

Then and ONLY THEN

Port the Rogers number away from the service

BONUS POINTS FOR CONTRACT ENTERED PRIOR TO JAN 2012:

These contracts allow a reduced "early upgrade" fee to pay out the hardware on the contract ($10 a month instead of $20). If more than 10 months remain in the term, I believe that upgrading to the most basic $100 phone and paying out $10 a month to pay off the old phone would be a cost saving move. At that point cancelling will cost $12.50 ECF + $100 HW charge + HST.

I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers stuck me in a contract without even informing me! I never agreed to any term! is that even legal?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello soundwave80

If you called in and talked to them on the phone and you said "yes" then its legal and its a verbal agreement. If you think they stuck u in a contract without u saying anything, i would contact them back ans speak to the office of the president.
I've Been Around

Rogers, in their infinite wisdom and sense of fair play, yesterday decided to increase the early upgrade fee on smartphones by 50% from $13 per month remaining to $20 per month remaining. With 15 months remaining on my 3-year contract, my EUF just jumped, overnight, from $200 to $300. I was just about to upgrade my BB Bold 9900 and add a second phone for my wife. Instead, as a result of their deciding to change what I owe them, in the middle of my contract, I plan to cut Rogers out of any of my future cell phone business. I also plan to cancel my VIP cable package. There goes another 20+ year loyal customer. Way to go, Rogers!!!!!!!!!!

I've Been Here Awhile

What find Interesting is that this forum is just for their customers to vent or praise Rogers for the good an a lot of bad. But Most interestingly I don't see Rogers replying or answering these questions and concerns.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello i8

The forums are made for users to help other users out. This is how its always been and it says that on the Community FAQ and rules. Some Rogers reps come here and help but can only help so much and give answers they know. I would like to see more Rogers reps come here and help BUT will not see it.

Topic Stats