can i use a D-link Dir-601 router and a motorola SB5101 (rogers) modem?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

can i use a D-link Dir-601 router and a motorola SB5101 (rogers) modem?

Is it possible to use a D-link DIR-601 router with the Motorola SB5101modem from Rogers?  If I get the wi-fi working my desktop will no longer connect to the internet.   I'm not very tech savy, what am I doing wrong?
Thanks!

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: can i use a D-link Dir-601 router and a motorola SB5101 (rogers) modem?

Technically you should be able to use ANY 3rd party router, with the modem.

Did you just change routers? were you using a different one before?

What i am guessing, is that the modem is still locked into your OLD router.. and not communicating with the new one.
The SB modems were a PAIN to do a hard reset on.

Your best bet, would be to call into rogers, and have them do a hard reset on the modem itself.
(with your new router unplugged)

Then follow the instructions for your router, on how to connect it to the modem, and it should properly communicate with it then.

-----------

That you have an SB modem.. you might be on a fairly grandfathered plan.
If it suits you well, you dont go over usage, etc.. no point in really changing etc.. 🙂

BUT if you regularily experience slowdowns, etc.. you may want to consider changing to one of the newer plans, the modem configurations are set up that the slow downs (congestion) doesnt really happen anymore

I've Been Here Awhile

i've never used a router, this is my first attempt at wifi (speaking of "grandfathered"...)

Thank you, I'll try that.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

LOL.  If you need any help with the router, don't hesitate to post questions.  I'd much rather see you up and running safely with your wifi, versus the opposite which is running a router that isn't configured to protect your network from potential miscreants.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

OK, so you likely just had it into one PC beforehand?

Same thing.. likely its locked to the one PC, and needs to be reset.

I'm an Advisor

Gdkitty wrote: 

That you have an SB modem.. you might be on a fairly grandfathered plan.
If it suits you well, you dont go over usage, etc.. no point in really changing etc.. 🙂

BUT if you regularily experience slowdowns, etc.. you may want to consider changing to one of the newer plans, the modem configurations are set up that the slow downs (congestion) doesnt really happen anymore

This is a straight DOCSIS 2 modem, which means that the OP is getting probably 1/3rd the speed of the current Hybrid Fibre plans and lower download caps for the same price.

Plus I suspect that the CGN3 (or DPC3825) is as good a wifi access point/router as a DIR-601, which is a loooow end wifi router.

My recommendation would be that the OP upgrade to a current, in-market DOCSIS 3 plan with either the CGN3 or the DPC3825 (I'd avoid the CGN2).

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well all comes down to what they use/need.

EG: My mother, has the old LITE..
WIth the same surfboard modem

She pretty much does email.. a few webpages, thats about it.
She is paying $41ish + 4 modem rental.

While yes, going up to the newer hybrid lowest package.. her speed would increase ever so slightly.. and would go from 15g? usage to 25g usage.... she doesnt need it.

And would be a $7 cost increase.

So in a case like hers, etc.. other than to get the more channels... not much drive to change.

BUT any plan ABOVE the lowest, then yes, most definately worth moving to one of the current ones.