cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cable tv cutting in and out on temperature swings

ccsanits
I've Been Here Awhile

This issue is going into its third year.  Anytime there is a major temperature change up or down  my tv starts cutting in and out.  This will go on for hours at a time.  I have two 4642 Nextbox receivers given to me by rogers as what they thought would fix the problem.  This only happens during winter and spring months as temeratures fluctuate.  Rogers maintenance guys finally got involved last year and traced the issue back to the main hub that feeds our neighbourhood.  I was then told that this could be a problem anywhere from Cambridge back to Toronto.  It was left at that.  The interesting thing is that it does not happen on the Nextbox PVR's.  I refuse to rent a pvr when they keep telling me that my boxes "should work".  

Just wondering if anyone else has this issue with their Nextbox 4642s  - not the PVR.  

Considering what I pay for cable tv and this issue just seems to be put on the back burner I am seriously considering leaving rogers at 20+ years.   

***Edited Lables***

C.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: cable tv cutting in and out on temperature swings

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

IF its truely that far down the line.. then yeah... not a huge amount that can be done.. even the regular techs can do anything past the house.

You have had someone out to check the house as well?
Its wierd that some are OK and some others arent... sounds like a bad part of a splitter.. like if its outside.. and that its being effected by the weather.

billmcintyre
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Hi @ccsanits

When it's cold my picture cuts in and out sometimes too.  Other times the picture just 'freezes' on the screen.  But this only happens when it is REALLY cold outside.  I think sometimes a bit of water gets into the cable and when it is really cold the water freezes and makes the picture freeze on my TV.    🙂

ccsanits
I've Been Here Awhile

Yes, believe it or not I've had 16 techs to the house in the last couple of years. None of them would believe me that it is a thermal issue ( I work in electronics and have had experiences with this type of problem). The house has always checked out.  It's definitely an outside splitter, repeater  or amplifier.  If I watch what the temps are going to be I can predict when my tv signal will cut in and out.  Once the temps stabilize the signal returns to normal. I just can't get around the fact that no one else has this issue in my area or maybe they do? 

I find it hard to grasp that this is just the way it's going to be and the issue is not being pursued.  You would think the least they could do is offer me a PVR for all the hassles.  Great way to lose customers!

C. 

Hmm.. yeah does seem more then like something else down the line.

My guess is that others may also then be having the issues.. but may not be reporting them.

That i found is often the problem.. if its more of a street, etc issue..
Unless there are MANY reporting it.. they often will not escalate it much to get maintenance to take a look at it 😞

We had a street issue here a few years ago.. took 4 of us, calling in every day pretty much, to finally get them to do it.

Hello @ccsanits,

Welcome to the Community! 

I apologize for the ongoing issues you have been experiencing with your Cable service. Has this issue been resolved? The problem with issues (especially pixilation) related to certain weather conditions is that they can be hard to track down especially when a tech is out investigating when the issue is not occuring but we can certainly take a look into this. Can you please let us know when the pixilation is actually occuring? That way, we can run signal tests from our end at the time it's happening to get a better understanding of how to proceed with resolving this. Please send a PM to @CommunityHelps when you are online. We will send you a form to fill out your account information for authentication and in order for us to access your account.

Thanks,

RogersHassam   

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

ccsanits
I've Been Here Awhile

Hello RogersHassam

I sent you a PM.  Not sure what you want me to do from here.  

So far the last week or so we've had no issues except for one morning when the temperature dropped over night and tv was cutting in and out again.  Screen goes completely black for about 30 s and then comes back on for another 30 +seconds. This goes on until temps stabilize and then tv works fine.   One of the techs told me last year that the boxes are "starving" for signal and go out of sync.  How do I contact you when it's happening?

Please advise.

Thanks

C

billmcintyre
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Hi @ccsanits   RogersH is a little more likely to notice your attempting to get a message to him if you reference his name in your message here using the HTML code by clicking Shift and 2, then arrowing down to his name and hitting Return.  That sends him an email letting him know that he is mentioned in the post.

Hello @ccsanits,

I have sent you a PM via @CommunityHelps, please check your inbox when you are online. You will need to reply back to the PM sent through CommunityHelps. 

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation