buying a locked iphone5

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

buying a locked iphone5

I'm sure this question had no doubt been answered on the forum some where, but I haven't been able to find the answer.

I am already a Rogers customer, and I am currently on a 3year contact, but there is no phone on the contact, I brought my own unlocked phone from new Zealand to Canada with me. I have an opportunity to buy a slightly used Rogers locked iPhone5. while I am in Canada I plan to continue to use the Rogers service and contact I currently have, however I want to be able to take the phone back home with me in a year or so when I return to NZ.

If I buy this phone in a locked condition, will I be entitled to unlock it legitimately with Rogers, or is only the original purchaser able to do this? if I cannot do so, am I best to try and convince the phone owner to do it for me before I buy?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: buying a locked iphone5

Hello brettmckenzienz

As of March 28th. You can unlock your Rogers phone AFTER 90days of service with Rogers.

All this can be found here. http://redboard.rogers.com/2013/how-to-unlock-your-phone-with-rogers/

I've Been Here Awhile

even a phone I didn't purchase from them directly? I just want to be sure before it becomes the $700 door wedge my patio door open in NZ
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello brettmckenzienz

If you buy a iPhone 5 from someone else, this person needs to release the IMEI number off is account. For this to happen, the seller MUST have paid off the balance on the phone with Rogers or cut their services with Rogers. Ask the seller for this info.