basic cable with no box

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: basic cable with no box

Only the account holder can arrange for a DTA. My mother is in a retirement home where basic cable is included in her rent. She is losing stations but cannot arrange for a DTA herself because she has no account in her name. Only Rogers supplied equipment will work! It may not work well (since it is supplied by Rogers) but they will not authorize anything else!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

A nursing home, is usualy a little different than a apartment, even one with cable included.

My grandmother was that way before.. rogers was incuded in her condo.  She wanted a PVR.  And while she didnt pay for her cable, each apartment had its own 'account' per say.  We were able to add the box on, and she got a rogers bill, that had JUST the pvr rental on it.

@Dieter_B wrote:

If you were to move into an apartment that has Rogers' ~60 channels already, can you get an adapter? Or will some other converter work?

And only those labelled D in the guide channel would have improved quality?

thx

Currently, you could plug into the wall, with just any old TV, and you will get the analog channel lineup.  Even though some of the channels are HD in the 1-60 range, they will not come through as HD over the analog and will be limited in quality.  Not ALL of the channels are there as they are cutting off the analog channels, and could be gone alltogether at any time.

You can get for FREE hopefuly from rogers.. again depends on HOW the individual apartments 'account' is set up, a DTA, which will allow you the same SD quality and channel range, but get ALL the channels available.

Assuming you can add other boxes, you would have to rent/buy one of the rogers HD boxes, to get any of the channels with HD in them, to come through in actualy HD quality.

I'm a Senior Advisor

It is a retirement home, not a nursing home Gdkitty - not the same thing! Smiley Wink

My point though is still valid. My mother does not have an account in her name, so she cannot order anything herself from Rogers. She does have the option of ordering additional services from Rogers such as a more expensive cable package or Internet.  If she were to do this, she would then have her own Rogers account. The same thing would apply in the case of an apartment IF the basic cable is included in the rent and the individual tenants do not have their own account. It all depends on whether the poster has their own account or not.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sorry, my mistake, i know the difference 🙂 (my wife works in them for a living), just my mistake on not reading thuroughly enough.

Never ment it to sound, like yours was invalid.

Like you said, there are different ways of doing it.

Some, like you said, you COULD get better, but have to pay full out to upgrade to something different, essentialy starting your own account.

There are places, like my grandmothers condo, where there was the account already for that unit, but its a ZERO $ for it, and only had to pay the additional charges, etc. I KNOW hers is this way, i was the on there that talked with them to set it up for her, etc.  (prior to the PVR on there, she got a monthly bill, for 0$, but had her account number, now it was just the pvr rental)

There are many ways, the person will have to look into it, in that apartment, and see what their options are.. it will all depend on how the apartment does it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

when i lived with my parents i went to pick up the DTA-50 boxes on my own, i was not the account holder, but I had a piece of photo ID proving i lived at the same address and had called them ahead of time and asked the rep to leave a memo on the account that i was going to pick it up,  your mother can easily call them and request the same thing, maybe she can order them via the telephone and have them shipped to her retirement house or heck she can even go with you to pick them up? or she can easily add you as an authorized user as well, no?

I'm a Senior Advisor

My mother can do none of those things Pauly. It really is quite simple - she does NOT have an account with Rogers.  Basic cable is included with her rent. The account holder is the administration of the retirement home. They are the only ones who can authorize changes on the account as it now stands. 

Now, if my mother wanted more services from Rogers (which she does not), she could call Rogers, order those services, and Rogers would then set up an account in her name. But since she has no intention of doing that, my name or anyone else's name cannot be authorized on an account that does not exist!

As it now stands, I have contacted the retirement home administrator and they are working on the issue, but they are extremely slow about doing it and meanwhile, the residents are losing more and more stations all the time. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Actually I am very familiar with these kinds of accounts,  my uncle lives in a condo, and his basic cable services are free, he only pays extra charge for getting the next package up, and pays for any add-ons not included in the basic services,  his condo fees basically covers the services,  he has a special type of account, i forgot the name but its been mentioned on here before, rogers needs to create one if they havent done so already for your mother in law but they need to also apply the charges of the basic service which the building pays for to another account, most likely the condo corporation or nursing home pays for that, so its a seperate ban.  i think its called a sub account or something, hopefully the experts of rogers can chime in and correct me and give u the proper info. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

I agree Pauly. If my mother wanted to do what your uncle has done and subscribe to a higher cable tier or subscribe to Internet, then she would get her own sub account, get a bill every month, and be able to deal directly with Rogers. Since she chooses not to subscribe to any additional services, she is unable to make any changes directly. That brings me back to my original point - ONLY the account holder and anyone authorized by the account holder can make changes to the account or order equipment such as a DTA!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think we are getting a seperation, on the TYPES of ways.

There is, the case in where IHR is, where the account is 100% in the control of the place only. IF anything else wants to be done, its litteraly making a whole new rogers account, full price, etc.
Yes, in these cases, your stuck, and can not do ANYTHING 😞

Paulys Uncle, like my grandmother, are on something, SLIGHTLY different. Where each condo has its own account, but litteraly is a $0 ballance, its somehow covered by the condo, and only pay for the extras like the boxes, etc.

Neither way is INCORRECT.  Just different, and one may not apply in the others location.  Could IHRs example potentialy change to the other model? Quite possibly, but may cost more, etc and not be willing to do, etc.

Lets bring it back to the original person who asked the question.  Really in the end, they will have to contact the apartment's whoever is in charge of it, and see how the things are done there.  It could be either way.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Actually, I want to provide some more helpfull info, my uncle when he was using the "FREE" analog cable from the condo, he asked if he can add a Digital Box to the account, so they said YES, and even though he was using the digital box, his bill was still $0, he simply got a bill rated $0, the only thing he had to pay on his bill was for pay per biew or rogers on demand movie purchases,  if he didnt buy any that month his bill wood show $0, so he/she would still get a bill even if it is 0