basic cable with no box

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

basic cable with no box

Does Rogers offer basic cable with now box?

if so does anyone no how much it is?

thanks

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: basic cable with no box

Hello scooter1976

From what i know it does not. Anyone that wants to watch cable, has to get a box in order to do so.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

People previous, on just plan basic cable, i beleive still could grandfather it on.. only using analog signals.

But with the removal of these signals, this will be gone very shortly, and they will need to use a device called a DTA at min to receive even whats available on analog.

For a new user, the most basic you can get now, is the digital TV package, at least from the site, says that it requires a digital box, so may require at least one digital box rental/purchase.. you could still for the time being use other TVs on analog with no box for now, but you would be limited in the channel lineup and analog channels are being removed regularily now it seems.

I'm Here A Lot

Except you're wrong.  I'm currently watching the news on my brand new basic cable analog service with no STB or digital adapter.  I just signed up 2 weeks ago for a promotion that they offered Rogers Extreme internet subscribers ($9.99 / mth for 12 months - no contract).  It's available and widely available; just not promoted for obvious reasons.

So the part about the digital package being the most basic available service is untrue.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, the really dont want to promote it, as compareatively it is severely gimped as there are already missing channels, and a few more disapearing this weekend.
It may only be promotional, to internet subsribers, etc as well, an average user just wanting TV only may not have access to it, etc.
(as well that price, is likely promotional.. IF it is available outside the promotion, it may be more $$ as well)

I'm Here A Lot

I believe you're right.  It is only a promotional package.  Having said that though, the quality is absolutely deplorable (as expected mind you) but I've set up an A/B switch that will let me alternate between that and my OTA setup (Mohu Leaf - about 8 HD channels) when local channels are all I require.  The quality of that picture is simply outstanding.  Even in our bedroom on our relatively base model 720p 42" Panasonic, it's quite nice.  I can't even imagine what it would like on a $2000+ 1080p [insert high end brand here] flat panel. 

I also received my DTA 50 digital adapter on Friday from Rogers for free which I thought I was a nice gesture seeing as they were under no obligation to do so.  We'll give this setup a couple of weeks to appease my parents (they live in our completely renovated basement suite).  I feel badly for them.  They don't exactly have the technical know-how to run an OTA/streaming/HTPC setup like I do, so cable really is their only option.  If it isn't enough I'll probably just end up biting the bullet and bumping up their service to something a little more robust from Rogers.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, there are many streaming options, but they are usually a many step set up process, and not easy for the non technically inclined.

The dta may give some channels that the analog is missing. Quality will be just as low as the analog.
To get anything higher, would require a higher package and an HD box. But as you said see how they go with it and go from there. Smiley Happy

I'm a Regular

Channel 47 Peachtree TV just disappeared this week. What other channels are scheduled to go soon? You mentioned something earlier.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Cap07 wrote:
Channel 47 Peachtree TV just disappeared this week. What other channels are scheduled to go soon? You mentioned something earlier.

Aha.. took me a bit.  Found it on the back of my cable services bill for Dec.

Looks like for Feb, the scheduled ones are Peechtree TV and Food Network.

It says, please refer to your bill for any futer channel impacts.. so i am GUESSING they will annouce any other changes on the bills?

I've Been Around

If you were to move into an apartment that has Rogers' ~60 channels already, can you get an adapter? Or will some other converter work?

And only those labelled D in the guide channel would have improved quality?

thx