Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adult channels on Rogers

myusername100
I Plan to Stick Around

Greetings,

Not sure if this is the right place for my curiosity question but doesn’t hurt

to try. Got a fancy new digital cable tv. So playing around with this new box and there are a lot of channels. One thing that caught my eye were these on demand adult channels.

Rogers has like 10 of them. They got more adult channels than sports channels.

Is there really that much demand for adult content? I mean to justify 10 channels worth, is there plans to add more?

Anyone know how much money Rogers makes from adult content?

Regards

***Edited Labels*** 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: adult channels on Rogers

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Dont know.. probably as much money as they make off of any other Pay per view channel.

But rogers carries over 50 different sports channels... so there is much more than that.

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

@myusername100 wrote:

Greetings,

Not sure if this is the right place for my curiosity question but doesn’t hurt

to try. Got a fancy new digital cable tv. So playing around with this new box and there are a lot of channels. One thing that caught my eye were these on demand adult channels.

Rogers has like 10 of them. They got more adult channels than sports channels.

Is there really that much demand for adult content? I mean to justify 10 channels worth, is there plans to add more?

Anyone know how much money Rogers makes from adult content?

Regards

***Edited Labels*** 

@myusername100

I've had the TMN/HBO package for several years and was very surprised to find adult content on one of the TMN channels. It broadcasts it after midnight.

How times have changed. It wasn't so long ago that adult content was illegal in Canada.

TMN has always included adult content - when it first launched in 1983 as "First Choice", there was a 2-hour adult softcore programming block every Friday night, with programs licensed from the Playboy Channel.  Revolutionary at the time, and probably helped sell some subs and move some TV converters. 

What's the big deal? All cable providers have them now, including both BELL and ROGERS. There are the on demand channels and you can also choose to add adult channels to your service for monthly fee, like Playboy TV, etc.

You'd be surprised how high the demand for adult content is.

Before there was adult content on cable, I had a very interesting experience in the mid-late 1970's. There was an adult content VHS tape being sold by someone  in Toronto with a P.O. Address in a magazine. It sounded interesting, so my wife and I decided to buy it. It arrived in the mail and had a Canada Customs charge, attached to it. It turned out the tape came from somewhere in the US, therefore having to go through customers. I contacted the company with the P.O. Address and told them I thought it would be delivered from somewhere in Canada. I asked for a refund and they gave me one without argument and I returned the tape. They actually gave me 2 refunds, so I made some money on the deal.

A week or 2 later, I had a knock at my front door and there were 2 gentlemen from the RCMP standing there. I invited them in and, sure enough, they came knocking because of the adult content tape. When I explained to them what happened, that the tape came from the US, that I had returned it and asked for a refund, and got 2 cheques in the mail, we all had a good laugh and they left. Then I wiped the sweat off my brow.Smiley Tongue

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 in conversation