accessing internet without the SIM card in the phone

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

accessing internet without the SIM card in the phone

Just wondering if it is possible to access the internet (not WIFI) on a smart phone without the SIM card being installed and then be charged for the usage?

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: accessing internet without the SIM card in the phone

Hello svenderella

No you can not. You either need WiFi on or a sim card with a data plan to work. If u are being charged data then you need to contact Rogers via phone, Live Chat,  Facebook or Twitter @Rogershelps for them to see what's going on.. 

You shouldn't be getting data at all since there is no sim card and Wi-Fi isn't turned on. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Kind of?

Most phones, will require a SIM in the phone to boot up..
That being said.. doesnt have to be an ACTIVE sim.
So if you had an old sim, you could put that into the phone, it would come up with no service.. but then be able to connect to the wifi still
(i do this, with an old IPHONE for my son.. pretty much a ipod touch now).

IF you are in a wifi zone, you SHOULD NOT be charged for cellular.
(though, there are small cases of where apps dont switch over, etc.. and sometimed do flake out and continue to charge on cellular)

Depending on your phone, you can often turn off just the cellular data... or put it into AIRPLANE mode.  Many will allow wifi to be turned back on while in airplane mode.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

There is NO SIM CARD in the phone.  Can I still access the internet without WIFI?

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello svenderella

No you can not. You either need WiFi on or a sim card with a data plan to work. If u are being charged data then you need to contact Rogers via phone, Live Chat,  Facebook or Twitter @Rogershelps for them to see what's going on.. 

You shouldn't be getting data at all since there is no sim card and Wi-Fi isn't turned on. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

That is what I thought.  

So here's another question.  I have put a data block on my stepson's phone so he cannot access internet without WIFI.  Is it possible for him to override this somehow and use data without WIFI?

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello svenderella

Which way did u put the block? Via Rogers or on the phone it self?. Anyone can override it via the phone if they change the settings but if u did it on the phone via Rogers and your step son has no access to the account then no.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I put the block on by directly speaking to Rogers on the phone.  Their system shows there is a block on the phone for internet, but he is still able to access it somehow outside of WIFI.  Does it make a difference if cellular data is on or off?  If it is on, does that override a block?

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello svenderella

Yes it does. IF DATA is turned on it will still get data but the Rogers data block should not allow it to go threw. Switch it to OFF. I would highly suggest contacting Rogers via phone, Live Chat, Facebook or Twitter @RogersHelps to see if the block is actually on the account & active. Sometimes the reps will put it but not activate it.