cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Android 2.1 Experience

Artemis
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Xperia X10 User:

Since it's been made clear that "many people have already received their xperia x10 2.1 update", please post any comments you may have as to your experience so far going through the update process for the rest of us.  There is a group of us who are curious because we haven't seen it yet.

Thanks for what I'm sure will be many comments by many satisfied users!

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Your Android 2.1 Experience

Colinjlyon
I Plan to Stick Around
well everyone knows about all the little changes but i would just like to say that the battery life of mine has gone through the roof!!!! i dont know if maby i had a older version of the firmware from 1.6 or something but i used to have to charge it twice a day and now i can make it through a full day of heavy usage and be nearing 25% at 10PM.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Colinjlyon
I Plan to Stick Around

i have yet to recieve the update, but things that i would like to see from people that have are;

-battery life, better, worse, no change?

-touch screen responsivness, better worse, no change, (i am soooo frusterated with my phone as i have to often hit the outter keys a few times to get a p or q or q or 1 or 0)  also there seems to ibe a dead spot in the center bottom of the screen where it just drops what im doing ie if im dragging an app to the garbage to take it off the screen it often drops my finger and launches the app.  real pain in the butt.

-do u notice any change in the phones data usage?  my x10 seems to use 2x the data my iphone 3g did with roughly the same day to day usage.  i never went over about 300 of my 500 MB data plan and i really have to wach my usage with this thing...

Colinjlyon
I Plan to Stick Around

i have yet to recieve the update, but things that i would like to see from people that have are;

-battery life, better, worse, no change?

-touch screen responsivness, better worse, no change, (i am soooo frusterated with my phone as i have to often hit the outter keys a few times to get a p or q or q or 1 or 0)  also there seems to ibe a dead spot in the center bottom of the screen where it just drops what im doing ie if im dragging an app to the garbage to take it off the screen it often drops my finger and launches the app.  real pain in the butt.

-do u notice any change in the phones data usage?  my x10 seems to use 2x the data my iphone 3g did with roughly the same day to day usage.  i never went over about 300 of my 500 MB data plan and i really have to wach my usage with this thing...

Terry675
I Plan to Stick Around

If you are waiting for a message to download the update you are wasting your time. Do your backup on your phone with the newest version and then just start up PC Companion. If you hit update in PCC and it says your are current just keep hitting it a few times and you will get a message to update. Nobody has had it long enough from Rogers to answer your questions so you might as well find out for yourself. Good luck. I have to say you seem to have had more issues than I did. As for Data, the Iphone is notorious for being a data hog and I have never gone over on usage with 2 email accounts, one personal and one work as well as surfing, using the gps for golf and travel and downloading tons of stuff. Have to say the live wallpapers are wicked and there are plenty of good free ones.

Colinjlyon
I Plan to Stick Around

yeah.... problem here is that i dont have a PC.  if i want the update im gonna have to download a hacked version of windows and install it on my macSmiley Mad  not a rogers problem, a SE problem, but waddya do.   i was just hoping that i could get some info about the update from ppls experience while i am at work and not able to update.  HHHmmmm heres an idea ,  i wonder if i went down to my local rogers store if they would update my phone for me without charging me a  "update fee"  LOL.Smiley Very Happy

Terry675
I Plan to Stick Around
Just use a buddies computer or use your work computer. It only takes 10 minutes and the backup is on your sd card. Just make sure to update the back up program so you have a list of all your programs.

Terry675
I Plan to Stick Around
By the way, I am pretty sure that it's not as easy as you think for Sony to get apple to help them with the mac version of software for an Android phone. Not to mention that with only 10% of the market in North America and less than 5% for the rest of the world it's probably not high priority for them. Isn't there a way to run it in some sort of compatibility mode now that they are running intel? Anyway, I think you will like the update. So far I have found no issues. Good luck and have a great weekend.

Colinjlyon
I Plan to Stick Around

the compatibility mode is that i can install windoiws on my mac...  bootcamp is built in to macos for wuite some time now, you simply insert a windows installation cd and it does everything for you including partitioning your hdd...  but im not gonna buy windows, and i removed it from my mac a year  ago or so when i no longer needed it.....  seems that i need it again lol..  oh well.

Artemis
I Plan to Stick Around

🙂

androidmd
I'm Here A Lot

Just updated to 2.1.

Should definitely backup your contacts to the memory card instead of relying on the Backup and Restore app as most of my contacts were not restored. Other than that, the transition went rather smoothly. Some adjusting to is needed (for myself at least)....but am very intrigued to see what 2.1 has in store.

Colinjlyon
I Plan to Stick Around

if you export your contacts to google you will never need to backup/restore them ever again.  Smiley Tongue  as long as you dont go back to a non-smart phone that is.  i exported my contacts to google off my iphone and they just appeared in my x10 when i signed in to my gmail account with the x10.  its that easy 🙂

hdaubel
I Plan to Stick Around

Well, I installed the update this morning and I've been playing with the phone since. 

The battery life, I guess it's better because I haven't run out of battery yet and I've been using the phone all morning!

Now there's Skype, I couldn't use it before with Android 1.6

I don't like that the auto brightness function is not there anymore.

At first it was a little slow but then it picked up and now it's running fine.

The font size for the phone book and in general is too big for my liking.

You pretty much have to configure all the settings after the update.  It's like you just took the phone out of the box. 

Some things on the keyboard are in different places now, I guess it'll take some getting used to.

The live wallpapers are kind of neat!

That's what I've seen so far.  I haven't used 3G, I'm connected to my wireless router. 

In general seems to work fine.

Artemis
I Plan to Stick Around

Finally installed the update.

Eveyrthing that everyone has said so far applies.  Live wallpapers are definately neat.  Phone was slow at first but now great.  I also lost all my apps, but that's alright because I planned on redoing them all anyway.  Haven't tired recording HD video yet.  Seems quicker now.  Haven't played with it enough yet to comment on battery life or anything else substantial I suppose. 

the only thing i'd like to change would be at the Lock screen, it says at the top "This phone belongs to ROGERS".  it's doesnt.  it belongs to me.  If anyone knows how to change that, their comments would be appreciated.

Also, it says this phone is protected by antivirus.  Is there a native antivirus built into 2.1 now or am I missing something?

Otherwise happy to have the update, but as already said in a previous thread, lets not let SE off the hook yet.  We still want 16M colour and Flash support (MT is obviously out of the question.)

fr33yay0
I've Been Around

So.. I've updated the phone... Here's my first thoughts...

1- Battery life... I've been on it for 4 hours and I went from 60% to 58%... 4 hours and 2% I think it's better than what it use to be 🙂

2- 720P HD camera... yes I tested it out. The video on it is much better than before...

3- Finally 5 home screens... more options, more options. I'm always a fan...

4- Finally updates through facebook and my contacts all have pictures now! instead of the annoying blank pictures.

5- The touch screen and keyboard are improved ALOT.

So far, so good... I like the update and I've used droid 2.2 as well, and itself is a little better... but for the X10 I think 2.1 is as far as they're going. Good update... Good update! I'm happy.

wimp1946
I Plan to Stick Around

why does the phone use so much data I have everything turned off and I still use data what gives

wimp1946
I Plan to Stick Around
the acer liquid has the 2.2 update available now

drtolson
I Plan to Stick Around

I installed my 2.1 update yesterday.  It took about 2 hours, but the internet connection at my office is notoriously slow.

Lots of small-ish changes throughout the O/S, but nothing that is what I would call a 'Wow' factor.  I'm not sure how much of this is Android 2.1 vs. SonyEricsson updates.  There's definitely nothing 2.2 about this update (as SE intimated) -- it's all 2.1.  Some of the things I've found so far...

1. Auto-brightness setting for screen backlight no longer with the Screen Brightness in Settings
  2. New slide to unlock screen standard (slide along bottom; no more swoop)
  3. Phone charges while powered off (with display similar to iPod)
  4. PC Companion software still wants you to mount the SD card
  5. More settings in Settings for Audio:
  6. New lock screen with larger time, date, and battery status
  7. Notification/Status bar now supports ‘H’ connection icon
  8. New Youtube widget showing most viewed – active
  9. New communications switches widget – screen brightness added, volume removed
  10.  5 start screens, instead of 3
  11. New app – Creatouch, Google Latitude, Google Maps Navigation, Places
  12. New splash screen on startup
  13. I’m not sure backup and restore provided by Sony is working.  I seem to have lost all my contacts and the applications I downloaded from the Market.
  14. GPS radio seems more sensitive now – can get a lock inside my office building – not able to before (need to check if AGPS is on).
  15. Doesn’t appear the User Guide was updated to 2.1, since it still only shows 3 home screens, etc.
  16. Still no native Outlook Exchange account support – need to work through Moxier Sync – according to Wikipedia, need Android 2.2 for this to be native
  17. Text in notifications bar (at top) seems a bit larger

18. Battery charging from USB seems a lot slower (over 7 hours from 10% to 73%) 

19. Youtube client no longer shows 'Most Recent'

As noted above, SE's backup/restore will not work with 'synced' contacts, so you'll need to retrieve those from your server (Google, Exchange, etc).

Also, apps from the Market are not retrievable until AFTER you reconnect with the Marketplace (using your gmail account).

I'm still playing with this, but overall the experience is fairly positive. I wish, though, that it was a 2.2 or 2.3 upgrade.  2.1 is so old now...

/drt

/drt

Colinjlyon
I Plan to Stick Around
well everyone knows about all the little changes but i would just like to say that the battery life of mine has gone through the roof!!!! i dont know if maby i had a older version of the firmware from 1.6 or something but i used to have to charge it twice a day and now i can make it through a full day of heavy usage and be nearing 25% at 10PM.
We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 8 in conversation