Yahoo security breach affecting Rogers email accounts

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Yahoo security breach affecting Rogers email accounts

Some family members who subsrcibe to Rogers had their email accounts compromised.

One, in talking with Rogers tech support, allowed as to how it stemmed from the multiple breaches of the Yahoo servers.

Apparently Rogers users should be changing all their passwords to recover or protect their email accounts.

I have seen nothing on the Rogers web sites, no email notification and nothing in the news.

Is anyone aware of this security breach?

Or a reason why Rogers would not advise users to take precautions?

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Yahoo security breach affecting Rogers email accounts

I do agree.. that its poor form on them not notifying people of what happened and making them change the password.

I guess it comes down to HOW the notify people.  Problem stems if they email it to people.. the person who has hacked into it could get the notification, know they are caught, and just change it themselves and lock the owner out.

Even though it wasnt directly ROGERS fault, it was yahoo's, they should have posted, like you say on their website or something, to protect their customers.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Is this something new? I haven't had any problems, spam or otherwise, on my yahoo e mail acct.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not spam ON.. spam FROM.

I dont think it was targeted AT rogers emails specificaly.. just yahoo in general, and a number of rogers ones therefore got hit too.

My sister in laws got hit, but mine and my wifes, mothers, brothers, inlaws, etc, appear to not have been hit.

All in all, best to do a password change anyways, just to be on the safe side (could be they have the info just not used it yet)

Retired Moderator RogersNicolas
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone, 

We have forwarded this internally and are currently looking into it and will keep you posted as soon as we know more about it.

Thanks for reaching out!

Nicolas

I Plan to Stick Around

I was aware of this breach i recieved an email from one of my clients who was stateside.

Get in quick and change that password to something else and make it long with funny characters

I've Been Around

Re: Security breach affecting Rogers phone users?

Rogers team,

After hours on the phone being bounced around and ultimately being told "cyber security"  for my Rogers account is not Rogers responsiblity.  I need some quick help.  A telemarketer just called using a masked number to my unlisted home phone and two seconds called later my corporate cell# (unlinked to each other) both unlisted.  Both of these numbers are Rogers services, I suspect my data at Rogers may have been hackdd.  I have asked for my call to be routed to a Rogers security team to verify there haven't been any breaches and was told you don't have a security team...Please provide a contact number to discuss this.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Security breach affecting Rogers phone users?

While i am sure that rogers does have a security team... that they are PUBLICLY accessible.. may be the question.

What was the telemarketer for?  Anything relating to rogers (as they do have 3rd party companies which call on their behalf)?  Or something completely different?

Are the numbers on the phones anywhere near each other?
Could be an autodialer, but only would call your other one right after if they were remotely close.

You have never entered any of these phone number on ANY other website, form, etc? anywhere else

I'm a Trusted Contributor

This is a known problem, actually occurred to myself some time ago.

Rogers does have a fraud department. The number is 888-383-2080.

Call in, provide date and time of the call, nature of conversation and ask to investigate.

In the meantime request to setup a PIN on your account. This PIN will prevent anybody, including Rogers employees and dealers accessing your account without entering pin.