Yahoo mail is driving me nuts

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yahoo mail is driving me nuts

So I go to settings, select viewing e-mail, select basic, save,  and next time I open my e-mail it's changed itself back to full featured.

Anyone got any suggestions

(Using firefox)

***edited labels***

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Yahoo mail is driving me nuts

Just give up on Yahoo. It is getting worse by the day

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Don't have a fix for you but noticed the same thing. The layout and schemes change within a day when we don't change anything. I think I'm going to an alternate mail client so I can go to an interface I can count on.

I've Been Around

Same problem with Google Chrome as a browser. Rogers, I hope you are monitoring this. The old browser worked just fine. This one is unstable and the visuals are poorly designed. 

I've Been Here Awhile

This is really starting to make me mad. They removed tabbed email reading in the last crappy update. People started getting mad about it, they changed it back. Now, AGAIN, they put it to the new style. I'm 'this' close to moving my email for good to Gmail and moving my internet service away from Rogers.

At least give people the option to opt-out of this new and undesirable email reader. The fact that it's forced on people is ridiculous. But I don't expect much in the way of customer service from Rogers

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I just tried it twice here.. and it saved my settings both times.
On IE 10 and IE 11.

It may be an issue with it not saving on particular browsers.

Not sure how the site works.. but if its COOKIE based, the preferences.. if there is any option for not saving cookies on your PC set.. that could be removing the preference save as well possibly?

In the end, just like hotmail/outlook.com, gmail, etc..  if you want to use that email service's web portal... you are forced into the interface they use.  (personally, i dont like googles and never access my google mail via the web portal).

You do have many other options to retreive your email though.  You can always use any form of 3rd party client, and pull in the email via POP or IMAP into it.  Outlook, windows mail, thunderbird, any of the mobile clients, etc.
Only downside with this, is that it can be locked to that device.. not as easily loged into via if you are using multiple machines.

Alternatively, many services like google mail, etc as a webmail.. will actually allow you to do a POP connection to another email account as well.  So you could use the google interface, to download and view your rogers mail there as well.

In the end, other than if you are particularly tied to that email address.. there is nothing saying that you HAVE to use it.  I know tons of users on Rogers, Bell, etc, who have never onced used an email by their provider

I'm a Reliable Contributor

GDKitty, interesting you say that you aren't an employee but notice that you are frequently defending them. 😉

Yep, we know there are alternatives but part of good customer service is listening to your customers when they have problems like this one with the mail. Why force us to use other product to get the service we need. It just makes us realize how badly Rogers treats the average consumer.

I've Been Here Awhile

I called Rogers support hoping for a fix, but not surpisingly they were no help and had no explanation for why following the directions to revert to "basic" takes one nowhere.  The fellow suggested the change is part of a Rogers effort to make their email more appealing to users of social media (which would explain why I now see things like "me,James, me"  instead of just the sender as if we are all in one big chat room rather than trying conduct business).  One can only hope enough customers complain to force a fix.  Otherwise, it means notifying hundreds of correspondents that I am switching to a different email provider.    

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Regardless if i was an employee or not... which i am not.
I would be allowed to have my own opinon... defend them or not to.. that has nothing to do, with working for them, etc.

Anyways... how did i defend them?
All i said was that it worked for me, in IE.. and could be more a how the other browsers are interacting with it, or a user setting.

I just tried repeatedly, with IE 11, the latest FF, and the latest Chrome.

In each case, i loged in, changed it to basic opened an email, etc.  Loged out closed browser (and even tried just closing browser), re opened browser, and loged back in.  In call cases, it DID save the configuation.
So likely an issue that someone else it having with it not staying, is likely a local configuration issue (again, about saving cookies or something similar).

Did notice on the basic inteface.. some of the images/fonts, as an above poster said..look aful.  Guessing the basic, takes the images from the new interface.. an just removes the background, etc from them.. making them look bad against the white background, etc... blegh.

I am not saying that rogers should not listen to customers and try to make changes, etc. 
But with the webmail.. they have very little control.. as its all done by YAHOO.  Only option would be to then break away.

But its not only rogers with this.
I know TONS of poeople who HATE the outlook.com now compared to the old hotmail... which is what bell sympatico users are forced to use. 

It is not just rogers who does this.

I never said, that rogers shouldnt listen to people, nor possibly make a change.  But there may be just as many people who LIKE the change (people who like stuff, usualy are just happy and content, and you dont hear anything from them... thats why with ANYTHING you are more likely to see BAD reviews than good).

I was only trying to give users other ALTERNATIVES to retreiving their mail.
As there are many people, who beleive you HAVE to use the wemail to retreive their mail as well.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Finster wrote:

I called Rogers support hoping for a fix, but not surpisingly they were no help and had no explanation for why following the directions to revert to "basic" takes one nowhere.  The fellow suggested the change is part of a Rogers effort to make their email more appealing to users of social media (which would explain why I now see things like "me,James, me"  instead of just the sender as if we are all in one big chat room rather than trying conduct business).  One can only hope enough customers complain to force a fix.  Otherwise, it means notifying hundreds of correspondents that I am switching to a different email provider.    

Like i sort of mentioned in my post above.. rogers has NO direct control over it unforunately.. its Yahoo.
So they could push it towards yahoo.. but in the end its yahoo who would have to fix it 😞

I dont use webmail alot, mostly use mobile... but i did just notice the ME thing in a reply thread.
Yeah.. i am not a super fan of that.. but... its likely what was said... more to a follow suit.  There are ALOT of people who like/want that.  Unfortunately its not everyone.
Like i stated in an earlier post.. i hated the gmail interface for that reason... looks like yahoo is trying to copy.

One recomendation possibly for you Finster.
If you are using the rogers email for business..  you might want to consider using a 3rd party program, at least PARTIALLY (regardless really of WHO's email provider your using).
Any of them, will NEVER guarantee backups, etc of the email stored there.  If there is some big mess up, they could loose everything.  (had this happen to my hotmail account TWICE in the past)
Even if you are not going to use it on a day to day bassis, its quite possibly a good idea to set up a 3rd party program, with a POP connection, and set it to leave the copy on the server (that way you can still use the wemail as normal).  Run this once a week or so, and let it download everything that is there.
This way, you will always have a local copy on your site, of all the email as well.  Files can then be backed up to other means as well (external HDD, CD, etc).

(oh, the ME thing is just a way it displays it, on the web interface though.. any email downloaded to another program, etc, would show as normal)