Yahoo email problem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Yahoo email problem

When I click on a email address link from another website I get redirected to the yahoo mail compose page however the email address doesn't appear in the To line like I'm pretty sure it used to.

Any idea why this is happening and how to fix it?

I'm using Firefox.

Already tried the yahoo support website but that is a joke and of no help.

Thanks.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Yahoo email problem

Have you loaded any blockers to Firefox of any type recently?  Even if that answer is no, but there are blockers loaded, there might have been a change to an existing one, resulting in the problem that you are having.  There has also been updates to Firefox very recently.  In Firefox go TOOLS....ADD-ONS......EXTENSIONS and look at your blocker list.  You could disable them one by one and restart Firefox each time you disable one, and test the email problem after each Firefox restart.  At some point, you will probably find the guilty culprit, or, you could disable all of them, restart Firefox and test the email problem.  The latter method would be quicker just to test the theory.  If disabling all blockers causes the email to function again, then you can work backwords, enabling the blockers one by one or in small groups, followed by a restart and email test.  Once again, you should be able to quickly find the problem.

I Plan to Stick Around

I just tried that and it still doesn't work.

There were only 3 items in the blocker list and one was already disabled.

Disabling them all and restarting Firefox did nothing.

Any other ideas?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Have a look at the following page to see if your email choice used by Firefox has gone awry.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Changing_the_mail_program_used_in_Firefox

You could also try a Firefox Reset as shown here:

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/reset-firefox-settings/

The problem is the mailto link that is refusing to work for some reason.  Stil looking for the right answer, but possibly one of the above two might work.  If you do a reset, you might have to go in and reset your preferrd mail appication as shown in the first link.

Do you have any type of redirect remover installed?  Have a look at the following page:;

http://dmcritchie.mvps.org/firefox/firefox.htm#redirectremover

Search down the page for:  Redirect Remover

An interesting line is seen in the comments:  The send email at the bottom of this page will not work when this extension is active, unless overridden in whitelist options, also should exempt archive.org, and if you include (embed) bookmarklets in your HTML check such usage on your pages:

So if there is an extension of this type loaded in your Firefox extensions it might be a possible explanation.

I Plan to Stick Around

I don't think I have a redirect remover installed.

This is kind of getting complicated as I'm a novice user.

I wonder if others are experiencing the same issue as it appears to be recent for me.

Wonder if the latest Firefox update has something to do with it.

I have to copy and paste the email link in the compose section now whereas before it appeared automatically.

I wish yahoo kept the classic mail version as the new version sucks imo.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I wonder what would happen if you went into the Firefox email application preferences as shown in the first link and selected something else such as Chrome or IE and then tested it to see if the address carried over into Chrome or IE.  After that, change it back to Firefox and test it again.

I Plan to Stick Around

I tried it using IE8 which is the highest I can use with XP and it still doesn't work.

I'm not going to bother trying Chrome since I don't have it installed and don't like it from a past brief trial.

Maybe it's a yahoo problem as there seems to be many problems with yahoo mail if you search.

I know one thing for sure,I can't figure this out.

Anyone else here having the same issue?

I had no problems with it before this started.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Haven't found a solution yet, but checking Firefox and Yahoo Mail, Firefox still supports Windows XP but Yahoo Mail does not.  I don't know if that is a recent change for Yahoo Mail or not.  I'm sure that you have been told this before, but Microsoft has stopped supporting Windows XP as of April 2014, meaning that it will become more vulnerable to malware as time passes on.  You should at the very least have Service Pack 3 loaded.  For your own protection, if you do anything that requires a password on that particular computer, you should move all of those activities to a windows 7 or 8.1 as soon as possible, ie, last April.

Here is an interesting hack which will extend support beyond the official drop dead date.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/05/27/simple-hack-gives-windows-xp-users-5-more-years-o...

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Datalink,are you using yahoo mail with firefox?

Do you have the same issue as me if you are?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I don't use it often enough to use the mailto link.  I use it on a Windows 7 pc with the latest Firefox version.  I ran a test yesterday, outbound and inbound and didn't have any problems, but since this isn't my main email server, I'm not familiar with all of its idiosyncracies.