Xperia S

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Xperia S

Sony has agreements that the phone will be locked to Rogers even if you buy it outright.. I know a shame but those are the policies they both made.  I got mine unlocked for $8 over at a website i unlock my phones at.

Yes the phone comes with Rogers bloatware on it. BUT this is the first phone i have seen that does not go slow or anything with the Rogers bloatware. You can not tell there is Rogers bloatware unless you use the apps.

Other then that nothing wrong with the phone. Been using it for almost a week.

samsvoc
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm one of the few people that actually want a mobile phone to have great reception and call quality, everything else is a bonus.  How's the call/reception on the Xperia?  I've been reading the captavate buttons are not too responsive.  I currently have the Samsung S2 LTE and reception sucks and too many dropped calls in my house.  If the Sony can hold onto a call better than Samsung, I'll pony up the cash and make the switch.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

The Call quality is actually pretty better then any iPhone i tested & my Galaxy Nexus. Also the reception is pretty good. I get H+ 95% of the time. Rarely will it drop down to 3G. It will only drop down to 3G if i am not in a HSPA+ zone or going into the subway.

Funny thing is that most reviews say that the captivate buttons are hard to use & all & this is the truth BUT you will get used to them once you use the phone on a daily basis. The reviews are done for less then a day or a full day. Within a day you are not going to get used to a phone like this. Sony said with the 4.0 update coming soon for the Xperia S they will get the captivate buttons to work fully force the way they are supposed to.

I have taken the phone to Mississauga & also near Bolton in which my iPhone 4S & Galaxy nexus would most of the time lose signal but with this one it stays & maybe once or twice the signal will come off but right back would come back. It all depends on the antennas the phone use. A lot of people are having issues with the Galaxy Nexus with reception where people with this phone are getting good reception.
samsvoc
I Plan to Stick Around

The big 3 reception kings have always been Motorola, Nokia and Sony Ericcson, now just Sony.  Samsung's have beautiful screens but reception wise, very lack luster.  The SAR on the Sammys are very low, which is good but that explains why you have bad reception.  Sony's SAR is much higher, hence the better reception.

One last ?, how do you like the Sony screen compared to the Samsung Galaxy?  Is the off angle view good on the Sony?

Thanks

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

If you ask about the screen ITS AMAZING. Watching a movie with the 720P screen is amazing. Visiting websites & all are amazing. Even the pictures look amazing on it. Its the best screen i have ever seen on a mobile phone so far. Honestly its way better then the Galaxy Nexus screen. I got 7 Galaxy Nexus ( 5 of them have problems with the screen & Battery). On the Galaxy Nexus if you turned down the brightness & you went into a white page or screen, the white would turn into gray, Blue would turn into purple. Also Black pictures would have a little black mark here & there that you are able to see. IF you search google you will see it your self on XDA & other sites.

The Viewing angles are pretty good on this device. Not a issue with it. Like i said reviews only test the phone for a few hours or a full day. I have had the phone for almost a week & honestly nothing wrong with it. I guess the people doing reviews love to say **bleep** about a few only looking at it for a few hours..
samsvoc
I Plan to Stick Around

How's Sony's return policy for mobile phones, same as Robbers?

Might make my way to Yorkdale Sunday and bring home a new toy. Smiley HappySmiley Happy

Where do you recommend I sell my 5 month old Samsung S2 LTE?

Thanks again.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Sony's return policy is the same as Rogers. If you buy the phone on a contact & you go over 30 mins of usage you are not able to return the device & get your money back. Same goes if you have had the phone for more then 15 days.

If you buy the phone outright from them they might give you 30 day policy to return the phone back BUT if within the 1 year you need to get it repair you will need to go to the Sony Store & have them look at it. Not Rogers.

Try selling the s2 LTE on Kijiji or craigslist. Check how much others are selling it used & price match their price or put the price you want. Also if you want sell it at a cellphone store near you ( you might not get the right amount you want but that is another choice you have.).
samsvoc
I Plan to Stick Around

Forgot to ask about the Xperia's battery life.  How is it?  Can you get a full day, say 9am to 10pm?  Of course everyone's experience will be different but can you squeeze in about 1hr of calling, 3 hrs. of surfing and maybe another hour of music listening/texting and still have about 20% charge left?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Mine lasts around 15 hours per day. It all depends on the usage you do. Yea the batter life with all those will last you. The only thing is turn off Wifi & all if you are not using them. Other then that you should be good :).
sonyboyj
I'm an Enthusiast

The phone is current only at sony stores but i called them and they said roger should get it a month or 2 after the release which was april 17 so by the end of june they should have it.i was gonna get one but i got a nexus instead hope this helps