Xperia S

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Xperia S

"The phone is a phone & if you want a digital camera that has high end lens & all go get a DSLR camera in which will take the pictures you want."

That's a nice idea, but very few people carry a DSLR with them all day, every day.  Camera phones will likely never equal SLR's (take the lens issue for starters), but the reality is that I carry my phone and not any of my SLR's in regular daily life.  A good camera on a phone is very important for those who like to take pictures 'in the moment'.

It's also worth noting that most people I know don't use their phone as a phone much at all.  Gaming, texting, browsing, taking photos, etc...and making calls comes pretty much last.

Whatever your use case, it's hard not to get excited for the Xperia S.  I'm sure it will be an excellent choice for plenty of different types of users.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

i just read rogers is not picking up the xperia s. so if you want it you will be paying full price. **bleep** even the sony store canada does not even list any phones.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Is there any website you read that on? Because when i spoke to a Sony Canada rep 2 weeks ago they told me Rogers will be carrying the phone but they do not know when. Also Sony Canada Facebook leaked out the image of Rogers carrying it.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/03/23/rogers-to-launch-the-sony-xperia-s/

As you can see on that picture is was SS from Sony Canada Facebook page but was taken down a bit after once Rogers asked them to take it down. Seeing as Rogers likes to announce things first'

Rogers sent MobileSyrup this saying :" I can confirm that while this device will work on the Rogers network, we will not be selling it directly“." Seeing as a Carrier they will never announce anything over a blog but that right there shows they will carry it but do not want to say it. IF they do not carry it buy June then all **bleep** will break lose seeing as Rogers always gets the flagship phones from Sony & always has been getting most of the sony phones here in Canada with the exception of the Sony ray that Telus got.
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Honestly I'd rather get the unlocked version sold from Sony Style anyway....Hopefully no Rogers bloat or SIM/bootloader locking.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

So Sony has announced it will come to Rogers & it will be $99 on 3 year term. they have not said tho how much the outright price will be.

You will need to get the phone straight from the Sony store tho. This is where the phone will be sold. More info:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/04/10/sony-xperia-s-coming-to-canada-april-17th-exclusively-available-at...
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

So update here.

I went Friday to the Sony store at the Eatons center. I got the phone on a upgrade. This phone is AMAZING. The camera is 12.1MP & the screen is 4.3 inch true 720p HD. The phone runs really fast with a 1.5 dual-core prossesor.  The battery lasts me 10hours on heavy use. Mid use is around 15 / 16 hours. The phone runs 2.3.6 gingerbread BUT it will be upgradable to 4.0 Ice cream sandwhich soon. Gingerbread is working just as fast & i have had 0 issues with it.

The camera Is one of the best camera's i have ever used on a mobile phone. I tested my iPhone 4S, HTC Raider & the Samsung Galaxy Nexus & NONE of the took amazing pictures like the Xperia S did. The picture quality is amazing. It has a LED flash underneath it as well.

The translucent panel is amazing. It lights up when you get a phone call or a message. I love it during the night or at work. You do not press on the panel to go Home, Back or menu. There is 3 little points on the top on each one in which you need to touch & they work from there.  Also there is a LED notification light on the top left side with changing colors on it.

The only thing is that you can not remove the battery or add a SD card. This is a new thing with phones so i guess we are going to live with this. Also Sony has this issue where you can not use the Apple headphones with the phone. The jack does not work with the headphones. Any other headphones work tho. I am using my Dr. Dre headphones.

The phone comes with a HDMI cable in the box, headphones, USB charging cable & wall outlet charger.  If anyone wants the Sony store at Eatons center & yorkdale mall they have a few left. Also make sure you buy a case for this amazing phone.

The screen comes with a screen protector already on it from the box. Which is a good thing as well.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Do you find the camera that much better than the Arc?

I'm not likely to get one myself anymore, since I broke down and got a nexus...but I'm trying to convince my wife she "needs" this phone.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

The arc has a 8.1mp while the Xperia S has a 12.1mp. As you can tell every review done on this phone, they love yhe camera.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Also wanted to add that i can not seem to find a Visual Voicemail on the phone. I will contact Sony & see if they know if this phone is able to do it. Other then that the phone is amazing. Speeds on the Rogers network seem to be fast as well.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Is the Xperia S bought at the Sony store unlocked and/or branded with crappy Rogers bloatware?