Xperia Ion, false specs?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Xperia Ion, false specs?

Just got a new Sony Xperia Ion on a 3yr plan.

I've had it a few days now and I've noticed that there is only 693mb of ram.

Using verius apps from the play store all reporting the same results.

Anther odd thing is there is no way to look up the phones hardware information from with in the phone itself and not having to use 3rd party apps.

Unlike my last phone a HTC Raider and before that a Ericsson Play. Where I just had to go to "about phone" and "hardware info" was there. The Ion does not have this option. 

This phone was advertised as having 1gb witch = 1024mb of ram

Is this a defect or is this with all Ion's?

Or should/can I just return it and get a completely different phone?

Because this is BS, thats over 300mb gone.

Both the other phones I mentioned, the play and raider reported the proper specs via hardware info and 3rd party apps. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Xperia Ion, false specs?

My Google Galaxy Nexus is the same - 694MB of ram. I think the "missing" 300MB is reserved for the OS itself, but I may be wrong.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

It's not the OS...persay...the linux kernel operates in virtual memory (yeah, don't quote me on that)

There is a certain amount of RAM reserved for specific hardware functions...For example the GPU tends to reserve 128MB

It's like for onboard graphic chips in computers...the list memory will be 2G, but 256 or more will actually be given to the graphics chip.

I Plan to Stick Around

So what you are saying is, 1GB ram "Shared", but only 694 MB "dedicated"?

I'm a Reliable Contributor

yup.

I Plan to Stick Around

Don't buy this piece of crap. worst phone Ive ever used. 

They won't even let me return it. I've only had it for 4 day and only made 1 25min call and rogers system say I've used it for 39min.

Rogers is nothing but scum bags.

I Plan to Stick Around

Are you sure you did not surpass the 30 minute mark? Rogers systems wouldn't say that unless you really did surpass the 30minute mark.. Call Rogers (*611) & speak to them & see what they say.

Also what is wrong with the phone? I have not had any problems with it & i have not noticed anyone else either having issues.
I Plan to Stick Around

read my first post. phone was advertised as having 1gb of ram. upon father inspection I realized its only got 693mb. And yes I've only used the phone 25min. its all in the call log. But rogers BS systems are reporting 39min.

Regardless that 30min is complete utter BS. I've only had the phone 4 days and not counting the crap with the ram its a piece of garbage all around.

My old phone a HTC Raider was far superior to the Ion in every way. 

I would say the perfomince is more on par with a my older ericsson play.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes but all phones have this.. My Xperia S / HTC Raider / S3 & S2 have this as well. The Xperia ION has no issues. Maybe you should look over at XDA & research & see every phone has this.

Yes i do agree with the Raider being better ( seeing as i had it as well) but if you did not like the ION, then why get it? :/..

Anyways speak to a Manager at retentions & see what they say.

EDIT. Here read more if you think the ION has the problem. Even the Raider has it...

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Android/thread-id/7161/page/1

I Plan to Stick Around

thats funny. I'm using my raider rite now and under hardware info it reports 1024mb of ram as in 1gb. And I'm sertin if I dig out my Sony play it will report the advertised spec on it also.

I got the Ion due to its specs sheet and the spec sheet was false. Other then that how was I suppose to know if I liked it or not. I liked the sony play and had no problem with that phone. For its time it was quite good but considering how old it is I did not expect to get the same performance out of a brand new phone such as the Ion. 

Witch is back in its box I might add.