Xperia Arc. WIFI Problem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Xperia Arc. WIFI Problem

I bought Xperia Arc around 3 to 4 months ago and I been getting this problem since the first day. It wasnt a big concern back then, now its extremly annoying and I feel like the money I paid is going to waste.

Problem: Wifi keeps stopping every time you use it. It still shows you that Wi-fi is recieving signal when it actually isnt.

Solution: Sony has released update for this phone but none did anything to fix it. Many people have been getting the same problem and there is no solution, believe me I looked it up on the internet a lot... of time.

The only way to fix it is turn wifi off manually and turn it back on. Its getting annoying, I cant recieve my facebook updates properly, I cannot download a small sized app without having to reset the wifi like 3 times, cannot even watch youtube videos because it disconnects like every 15-20 seconds. (imagine watching a whole video with this problem)

I would love to recieve some suggestions but what Im wondering is that if Rogers will replace my Xperia Arc with another one since this is occuring only to small number of users with the same model as mine.

***edited labels***

Retired Moderator RogersJean
Retired Moderator

Re: Xperia Arc. WIFI Problem

Hi Hamza and welcome to the forums,

The first test I recommend is trying your device with different WiFis, this will let you know if the issue is coming from your device or WiFi.

If the problem persists with multiple WiFis, I recommend trying a battery pull followed by a master reset (everything on the device will be erased):

From your Home screen, tap menu

Find and tap Settings->Privacy.

Tap Factory data reset.

If the issue still persists at that point I recommend speaking with our support at 1866-931-3282.

I've Been Around

I have the exact same problem, if you goole "xperia arc wifi" all you get is threads and threads of people with the same issue and no response from sony.  Will rogers replace with another phone if they can't fix the issue?

Retired Moderator RogersJean
Retired Moderator

Hi sebastient and welcome to the forums,

I suggest contacting our technical support at 1866-931-3282 or www.rogershelp.com/btsc for further info. A replacement/repair is only available when all troubleshooting has been exhausted and the device deemed defective.

I've Been Here Awhile

I have the same problem with my wifi

I've Been Around

I have the same problem as well ever since I got the phone 2 months ago. I even tried the online solutions of updating the firmware on my router at home, and that doesn't seem to solve the problem. Let's just say wi-fi access anywhere is hard since it never connects to the wifi for more than 2 minutes. One of the suggestions online seems to say an upgrade to Build 4.0.xxxx seem to work (mine currently says 3.0.1.A.0.145), but is Rogers ever going to roll out this update?
I've Been Around

I have the same problem and I know that it is not a router issue at all. It happens on different routers even when standing right next to the router with different encryption methods and speeds. I also have a problem with spontaneous booting of the phone. I've heard that some Arc handsets reboot when placed on a table but mine doesn't seem to have any pattern to when it reboots that I can determine. Also, it drops calls. It is not location specific meaning it is not caused by the phone losing the signal due to being out of range because it happened several times when I was stationary with a decent signal (unless the signal strength indicator is malfunctioning).

I called Rogers and the tech support guy said all I can do is take it to a Rogers store and send it off to get repaired. Meanwhile, I will get a courtesy phone to use while it gets repaired (7 to 10 business days according to them). My question is, what do you use to back everything up on the phone? I don't mean just contacts but all data like settings, purchased apps, etc. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I Plan to Stick Around

Don't worry about paid Market applications and game. Once you sign in to the update phone with your gmail account, go to Market, press the Menu key and select My Apps. All your paid apps will be listed and you can download them again at no extra charge.

Music, photos, etc., which are stored on the memory card, won't be affected by phone updates, do they're all right.

Do you have the backup and restore app on your phone? If not, I can probably find a link for you.
I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry, there were a few typos in that, but I hope it makes sense.

The backup and restore app is good for backing up settings and bookmarks, but you might well be able to do that through Sony Ericsson. If anything remains unclear, do let me know...