Xbox Live/PC Gaming UNPLAYABLE during the DAY

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Xbox Live/PC Gaming UNPLAYABLE during the DAY

It's a shame.... but Rogers Internet for gaming is certainly beyond garbage. I don't understand why they can't say their connection is completely useless for video gaming...

Anyway, I have a problem... during the morning and the day, online gaming is impossible... there's this heavy lag that I can't really describe... it's more of a "delay" type of lag, not stuttering/lag spikes.

When I play FIFA, it's impossible to play at all... I can't turn with my players, I can't make passes... the game is very slow and delayed, it's impossible to do ANYTHING.... BUT, after 10PM until 3:20 AM (for some reason) the lag starts to go away... and the Internet connection is not perfect, but A LOT better... and that's the only time I can play a game without lag. 

Only during 10PM till 3:20AM I can play a normal game.... the reason I say only until 3:20AM, is because around this time, the game will lag so bad for exactly 5 minutes straight (literally can't do anything, I can only watch and hope my opponent doesn't destroy me while I can't do anything lol) and after 5 minutes, the stuttering lag will go away, but that "heaviness/delay" lag comes back, just like day time.

Technical support is completely useless... they think I have low download speeds/upload speeds (lol, they are above average) I have 45 mbs DL and 4 mbs UP... they do all these tests, says that it's "all normal" as always, that there should be no problems... to swap the router/modem (which I will tomorrow, but that probably won't do anything)

Unfortunately, I'm locked into a contract for one year (what a terrible/horrible mistake)...

There's a lot of people complaining about Rogers with Xbox Live/PC gaming (particularlly World of Warcraft)... as soon as this contract ends, I'm 110% positive I will either switch to Bell or Teksaavy. I'm tired of Rogers throttling my internet connection... 

After this contract ends, I will cancel every service with Rogers

***edited labels***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Xbox Live/PC Gaming UNPLAYABLE during the DAY

They are not throttling it. I can game any time of day here, world of Warcraft at any time, even with downloads going on.

That's not o say though that there isn't a problem, even on Rogers end, but may be specific to your area. There may be overselling and so much congestion in the area that the infrastructure can't handle it till the times you specify, when there would be alot less people on.

This is DEFINATELY still on Rogers ownace to fix, just saying its not throttling.

I would completely understand if you chose to leave.
Jut remember when switching, say if you go to someone like techsavvy, their stuff runs over the same lines as Rogers, so if your area is effected by poor infrastructure, techsavvy will be on this same poor infrastructure. Something to consider when looking.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

I live in East York and play a lot of Call of Duty Black Ops online and never have a problem with ping or slow connection speeds. I have the High Speed Extreme package, which sometimes can get up to 100mbps download speeds..

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for replying. If there's an issue with my area... can I get them to fix it? They keep saying "everything is fine, there's no problems... we ran the tests and nothing is wrong"

Because it's pretty sad that I can play online only a certain time of the night..

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The problem is with most things.. they do a signal strength, connection to your modem, etc.. those may be all be fine at the time of the test.. but if its speratic harder to nail down.

If other parts of the internet connection are fine (can browse, download, etc), its hard to say its not a routing issue or the other end as well.

Best you can do, is keep calling.  Have them send techs out (do it in timeframes when you are home, dont take a day off, etc for them to come).  Keep doing it.. repeatedly.  If its continualy in there and not resolved, they will start having to eventualy escalate it.

(had to do this with a street cable issue here)

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I contacted rogers tech support, and they said that if it was a congestion issue, then night time would be congested, not day time... 

Man... dealing with Rogers is such an headache.

Thanks for replying... I guess switching to Bell is the only option now.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It is one option. Just remember tho, bell can suffer congestion as well, so ask around to other bell users first 🙂 dot want to switch and run into the same or worse.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I mean, night time it plays perfectly... like it should... no complaints, but during the daytime, the heaviness/delayed lag where your players feel like they weigh 500 pounds = impossible to play.

I'm gonna switch the router, and if that doesn't help (which it won't) I will rage at their technical support and tell them to send a technician to fix this problem ASAP...

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Just sent you a PM'd CantPlayOnline. 

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

The most congestion time is typically between 6pm - 11pm on weekdays, when everyone gets home from work/school/etc. and jump on the internet at the same time.

Buying a new router isn't a bad idea either. I upgraded my Linksys WRT610N router (which was no slouch by any means) to a Linksys EA6500 and the performance difference on my Rogers Ultimate was night and day.

But to properly to see if your area is heavily congested, I would recommend try doing a traceroute/pathping to google (or some other site) between the congested/non-congested times for several days and see if you can see a trend on the latency.

Note that latency may not always detect congestion, but can be a good indicator from time to time.