cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XPERIA X10 2.3 UPDATE

Artemis
I Plan to Stick Around

Probably already discussed somewhere, but any word on the 2.3 update for X10?  I hear Ericsson has released it, but everywhere I look I see comments like, "Good luck if you're on Rogers..." etc.  Say it ain't so Rogers.

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: XPERIA X10 2.3 UPDATE

evanleibovitch
I Plan to Stick Around

I can confirm absolutely that the Gingerbread update works on the X10.

Using the detailed instructions at XDA and the Rogers access point information (available here as well as other sites) I was able to get a complete working stock 2.3.3 working in an evening.

The bootup logo is generic S-E rather than Rogers, the software says "x10i" rather than "x10a", and you have to download "Rogers My Account" from the Market rather than it being pre-installed. But otherwise it's working fine. Antrenna coverage (both wifi and 3G) is fine with the new baseband 2.1.71, battery life is a bit longer, the phone is a whole ot snappier and responsive, and Adobe Flash works nicely.

I recall that when S-E did the X10 upgrade from 1.6 to 2.1, Rogers was one of the last telcos to roll it out its own custmized version -- a month or two after some of the European operators. Probably no reason to expect differently with the 2.3 update. The good news is that they will do it -- eventually -- which makes them better than AT&T even if it's slow to arrive.

As the drug ads say, this solution may not be right for you. YMMW, and I'm not responsible if your installation has problems. Doing the procedure above will most certainly void your warranty -- if you still have one.

View solution in original post

59 REPLIES 59

bikeguy
I've Been Around
Spoke to someone at rogers and the word is "sometime in august". Update via Sony Ericsson PC update software.
Anybody heard more concrete info?

WiseD
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

According to SonyE they have just finished/released the 2.3 update. As per normal each carrier has to go over the update to make sure there are no major flaws or issues with the software on their network. This unforunately takes time so be patient; Rogers will announce in some way (Redboard, Twitter, Forum or etc) when/if it will be available.

clockwork58
I Plan to Stick Around

Wow? You got someone to admit that Rogers will release 2.3 for the x10 in August.

No matter, I already installed it onto my device and it's working great and no Rogers Software/Splash Screen on it, and since my phone is older than a yr, no need to worry about voiding warranty. It's already expired!

CSensation
I've Been Here Awhile

How did you install it already?  All I've seen is X10i firmwares, and not X10a firmwares... if you have any advice, would appreciate.

Artemis
I Plan to Stick Around

Just found this on mobilesyrup.com in reference to 2.3 for X10:

"However, a quick post by a Rogers Social Media team member on Facebook gives some relief about their intentions. “We will support the update and make it available to our customers. We don’t have timing yet, though. Stay tuned.”

Mobilesyrup.com - August 2, 2011 at 8:46am in Mobile News, Rogers Wireless News

So it seems Rogers is going to offer the update, but no word on timing....    Back to my original post... or if you're smart, maybe back to Clockwork's....

evanleibovitch
I Plan to Stick Around

I can confirm absolutely that the Gingerbread update works on the X10.

Using the detailed instructions at XDA and the Rogers access point information (available here as well as other sites) I was able to get a complete working stock 2.3.3 working in an evening.

The bootup logo is generic S-E rather than Rogers, the software says "x10i" rather than "x10a", and you have to download "Rogers My Account" from the Market rather than it being pre-installed. But otherwise it's working fine. Antrenna coverage (both wifi and 3G) is fine with the new baseband 2.1.71, battery life is a bit longer, the phone is a whole ot snappier and responsive, and Adobe Flash works nicely.

I recall that when S-E did the X10 upgrade from 1.6 to 2.1, Rogers was one of the last telcos to roll it out its own custmized version -- a month or two after some of the European operators. Probably no reason to expect differently with the 2.3 update. The good news is that they will do it -- eventually -- which makes them better than AT&T even if it's slow to arrive.

As the drug ads say, this solution may not be right for you. YMMW, and I'm not responsible if your installation has problems. Doing the procedure above will most certainly void your warranty -- if you still have one.

Artemis
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks Evan.  I'm officially convinced.

[ EDIT:  Now I just need to figure out how to root a phone and put 2.3.3 on it... ]

[ EDIT 2:  Despite your conveniently provided links... ]

rcarr
I've Been Here Awhile

I just flashed 2.3.3 onto my xperia x10a and 3g isn't working. Please help!

rcarr
I've Been Here Awhile

FIXED IT!!

ac_ac
I've Been Around

what went wrong?

vwrudy
I've Been Around

How did you fix it?? 3G was working but now i cant get it to come on... 2.3 is sweet though!! and why is rogers soo slow at getting these updates for the phones?? Is it because rogers knows nothing about software and should have NOTHING to do with the updates?!!

Artemis
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes VWRUDY, that is exactly why....  Every day I tell myself I'm going to put a generic 2.3 on my phone, and every day I lie to myself and say, "Maybe Rogers will have the update ready today..."

I'm such a fool....

Fixing 3G after an Android ROM upgrade

evanleibovitch
I Plan to Stick Around

When you install any non-Rogers Android ROM (ie, a generic upgrade found on XDA or elsewhere, such as the X10 Gingerbread stuff available as of mid-August), it will be able to find Rogers information (based on your SIM) for voice calls but not data. That has to be input manually (under  Settings -> Wireless & network settings -> Mobile networks).

There are a number of websites which offer this information, including this one. You can also do a Google search on "Rogers Android APN" to find others. Most Rogers APN information that will work for other Android phones also works on the X10.

I used the link above to enable my own X10 after installing Gingerbread (documented earlier in this thread). It was written for a Google/HTC Nexus G1 but works fine for other Android phones.

Re: Fixing 3G after an Android ROM upgrade

good news. However I can't find the update.

X10a ROGERS-WIRELESS-CA ROGERS 1254-8615 - Released (2011-08-12)  from:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1186045&page=87

&

http://davinciteam.us/phone_details_X10a_3.0.1.G.0.75_0001,0002,0003,0004.html

Mexico has the 2.3 update.......Bring it up here ROGERS

evanleibovitch
I Plan to Stick Around

@Deeon wrote:

good news. However I can't find the update.

X10a ROGERS-WIRELESS-CA ROGERS 1254-8615 - Released (2011-08-12)  from:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1186045&page=87

&

http://davinciteam.us/phone_details_X10a_3.0.1.G.0.75_0001,0002,0003,0004.html

Mexico has the 2.3 update.......Bring it up here ROGERS

There is not yet any confirmation of the above information, so right now it's no more than rumours. The place to look for confirmed reports of availability is at this post at XDA, and according to that the Rogers ROM is still listed as "not available yet" (ie, in red). Same situation for Telcel in Mexico.

In fact, no X10a phones have yet received the update. No generic (ie, non-branded) X10a update exists -- so in addition to Rogers telcos in Australia, New Zealand and across the Americas have yet to receive official Gingerbread from SE. Anyone updating in these regions now is installing the X10i software, which works well enough -- but I would guess that the X10a would be better fine-tuned to local frequencies.

x10a with x10i update works fine without issues. 3G is fine as so is voice calls. People think the x10i's frequency bands are put onto the x10a. Not so. That's all hardware. You can't change what frequencies the hardware supports based on software version.

True, but well-tuned baseband software can get the most out of the phone's radio. Experience with earlier XDA builds indicates that some of the available basebands are clearly better than others on particular telcos' networks. They all work... but some work better than others, either at improved reception or reduced battery usage.

ROGERS OFFICIAL XPERIA X10 2.3 UPDATE IS FINALLY OUT

evanleibovitch
I Plan to Stick Around

So, it's really here.

Both Sony Ericsson and Rogers have tweeted within the last 24 hours that the update is available using the Update Service software that comes with the phone. This has also now been confirmed by multiple users on the XDA X10 update page.

I went to download it myself but wasn't successful. The SEUS said I was already on the newest release, I guess because I had already done an "unofficial" upgrade.

No matter. Those who don't want to jump through the hoops to install a custom ROM don't have to, now that the official Gingerbread for the Xperia X10 is available from Rogers directly.

Happy upgrading! And post your upgrade experiences (and impressions of the new release) in this forum, please.

Re: ROGERS OFFICIAL XPERIA X10 2.3 UPDATE IS FINALLY OUT

No luck 😞
I connected my phone and left it there and nothing. PC Companion still says I have the latest software..

Re: ROGERS OFFICIAL XPERIA X10 2.3 UPDATE IS FINALLY OUT

I have called tech support and customer service and was told they were not aware of any update past 2.1 even though they have announced it on facebook and twitter. They said there is nothing they could do and to try posting my questions on twitter. Rogers has no Customer Care and are completely unorganized.

Has anyone who uses Rogers been able to uppdate to 2.3 ?

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats