cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XB6 Modem, using port forwarding or DMZ blocks all ipv4 traffic after about an hour

Berkhof
I'm Here A Lot

Hi,

I recently got ignite tv and upgraded my internet service to 500u as well. As a result i received the xb6 modem. After initial setup everything works fine, but when i attempt to use port forwarding or dmz, the ipv4 traffic eventually gets blocked. IPV6 works at this time. The blockage seems to occur at the next dhcp renewal time for the wan ipv4, after setting up any kind of port forwarding or dmz.

Once  blocked, i can ping any website that is an ipv6 address, such as google or youtube, but not any ipv4 addresses, they time out.

Is there a bug in the modems firmware?

***Added Labels***

14 REPLIES 14

Re: XB6 Modem, using port forwarding or DMZ blocks all ipv4 traffic after about an hour

RogersCilio
Retired Moderator

Hello @Berkhof,

Welcome to our Rogers Community Forums and great post :)!

I personally have not used the Ignite TV service (XB6 modem) but many of our Community members are using it, including our Resident Experts, @Gdkitty and If I'm not mistaken, @Datalink.

Anyone else in the Community, feel free to chime in with input :). I'll tag a couple of our knowledgeable Community members as well, @Nick_W and @Biollw.

Cheers,

RogersCilio

Re: XB6 Modem, using port forwarding or DMZ blocks all ipv4 traffic after about an hour

Thanks for tagging some folks.

Biollw
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I am not using VB6 in gateway mode, I bridged it. Using my own equipment/router much better control and usability.

I find the VB6 in gateway mode lacking in features, logging and control.

Good Luck

Bill

@Biollw do you also have the tv set top box units setup on your own network as well?

Biollw
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Yes 3 of them. All running fine including Netflix. 2 hard wired 1 wireless.

You must have Ignite TV in order to get the VB6 unit.

Bill

XB6, XB6, not VB6 ........  I've sent a message to the engineering staff to have a look at this.  Don't know when I'll see a response.

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Arris_TG3482ER

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&called...

thanks @Datalink

mg7
I've Been Around

I am having the exact same issue, I contacted Rogers and they are of no help. If anyone can assist that would be great

Gdkitty
Resident Expert

I am not having the issues here.

I have about 4-5 ports forwarded, no DMZ.

IPV4 seems stable and fine, as I have legacy devices which are not v6 capable which still work.

Thanks Gdkitty,

that makes me wonder if its an issue with my particular modem, maybe a dud.

when you forward ports i assume you also either reserve or static the ip address of the device?

which do you use and if you assign a static ip do you assign it inside or outside the dhcp range?

pkcrawford
I Plan to Stick Around

I had my gateway replaced but it is still happening.  Troubleshooting > Reset / Restore Gateway > Reset Wi-Fi Router temporarily fixes the problem for me.

For anything forwarded, I have them set static on the device itself.
(really for me its only one thing, my server, but its like 4-5 different port sets)

'Proper' network configuration, yes you should set the devices outside the dhcp range.
But mine aren't, and have never had any issues with it myself.

(note, you cant forward 443 and 22, they are reserved)

pkcrawford
I Plan to Stick Around

I left my port forwarding enabled and disabled my DMZ.  It has been a few days now without any issues.  Looks like the DMZ is causing some sort of issue with IPv4 routing.

pkcrawford
I Plan to Stick Around

Enabled my DMZ again and about 24 hours later, IPv4 routing stopped working.  Pretty sure the DMZ is causing the issue.  Can anyone else confirm they are seeing the same?