cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X1 IPTV service

I Plan to Stick Around

Last year Rogers announced that it will be using the American IPTV platform X1.  Does this affect any of the current cable television customers?  Will current customers automatically be updated to this new platform or will this be in addition to the current cable service?

***EDITED LABELS***

292 REPLIES 292

Re: X1 IPTV service

DeanLubaki
I Plan to Stick Around

Beta Test for Gigabit Internet + TV

Hello!

I am wondering if Rogers is looking for beta testers for its Internet and TV products (Comcast X1 Platform for example).
I am living in a condo in downtown Toronto that was built this year and thus has Fiber to the Home (FTTH). I used to be with Bell Fibe, and they had all IP equipment (TV, Internet), but I see that Rogers still converts the fiber to cable.

If you guys are looking for beta testers, I am up to try new features, hardware or software!
I have a CODA-4582 with a Gigabit plan and the 4K PVR.

👑

Good evening @DeanLubaki,

Welcome to the Community & Thank you for your contribution!

We appreciate your interest in our services and are good to hear you're willing to provide us with feedback.

Glad to see you signed up for the Firmware Trial, we'll look forward to your comments!

Don't hesitate to share your opinion and or concerns about your services on the appropriate thread.

Cheers!

RogersMaude

Sundog1966
I Plan to Stick Around

I have read all the posts here and   judging by Rogers prior performance I expect several months to be a couple of years.  I expect it will be deployed into wide use in 2021 or Late 2022 if ever.

I still have a 8642HD I found left behind in an apartment I was renting and it was unlocked so I was able to  get it set-up. I still don't get 13 channels on he lower bands since  the cable coming into the house is from 1970 and  is in poor condition but the  company that owns the building refuses to allow rogers to re-cable the entire building.

I have another unit that I had purchased anther 8642 but with a larger HD. I can't get it set-up.  I was told there is a software bug that gets triggered when you don't use the unit for several months and then connect it at one location and hen a few days later at another. It was originally designed as a security feature to keep people from floating a box between several locations ad only paying for using one box.

As a result of  these issues I don't expect to be able to use the X1 service. I am also using the  low-income  connected for success internet connection and expect it to be below the required standards for X1. Its funny but Netflix works perfectly on my existing internet service so I really don't understand why  rogers  is making things so complicated. They did this with their last attempt at IPTV and ended up abandoning it in favor of X1. Rumor has it that the  cost of that effort may have been in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

Sundog1966
I Plan to Stick Around

I expect  based on some information that I have received it will be 4Q18 before anything public actually happens. The test are  only about 40% successful at this point.

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Sundog1966 wrote:

I have read all the posts here and   judging by Rogers prior performance I expect several months to be a couple of years.  I expect it will be deployed into wide use in 2021 or Late 2022 if ever.

I still have a 8642HD I found left behind in an apartment I was renting and it was unlocked so I was able to  get it set-up. I still don't get 13 channels on he lower bands since  the cable coming into the house is from 1970 and  is in poor condition but the  company that owns the building refuses to allow rogers to re-cable the entire building.

I have another unit that I had purchased anther 8642 but with a larger HD. I can't get it set-up.  I was told there is a software bug that gets triggered when you don't use the unit for several months and then connect it at one location and hen a few days later at another. It was originally designed as a security feature to keep people from floating a box between several locations ad only paying for using one box.

As a result of  these issues I don't expect to be able to use the X1 service. I am also using the  low-income  connected for success internet connection and expect it to be below the required standards for X1. Its funny but Netflix works perfectly on my existing internet service so I really don't understand why  rogers  is making things so complicated. They did this with their last attempt at IPTV and ended up abandoning it in favor of X1. Rumor has it that the  cost of that effort may have been in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

There's no rumour about it - its a publicly verifiable fact that they took an accounting writedown of about $500 million.

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Sundog1966 wrote:

I expect  based on some information that I have received it will be 4Q18 before anything public actually happens. The test are  only about 40% successful at this point.

40% successful at what?  What's the metric based on?

This is basically a turnkey operation - X1 is widely and successfully deployed across several large cable footprints in the US.  There's noting that special about Canada that would magically break this platform.

wayner92
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Lurker wrote:

This is basically a turnkey operation - X1 is widely and successfully deployed across several large cable footprints in the US.  There's noting that special about Canada that would magically break this platform.

Unless Rogers wants everything customized.

DeanLubaki
I Plan to Stick Around

Didn't Shaw customize it for their BlueSky TV?

Keep in mind that this was originally designed for the Comcast network.  So, I wouldn't call it customization, but, more likely modifying underlying network functions to enable the X1 and accompanying XB6 to run on a particular ISP network.  Although DOCSIS is DOCSIS, I'm sure that every ISP is different in some fashion when it comes to network operational parameters and functions.  At the user level, you might not see any difference from one ISP to another, but, underneath there may be a considerable set of changes that the users wouldn't be aware of. 

wayner92

@Datalink wrote:

Keep in mind that this was originally designed for the Comcast network.  So, I wouldn't call it customization, but, more likely modifying underlying network functions to enable the X1 and accompanying XB6 to run on a particular ISP network.  Although DOCSIS is DOCSIS, I'm sure that every ISP is different in some fashion when it comes to network operational parameters and functions.  At the user level, you might not see any difference from one ISP to another, but, underneath there may be a considerable set of changes that the users wouldn't be aware of. 

I don't doubt that you are correct but will this continue and does this make sense? Isn't this analogous to saying that an Apple TV on Rogers requires some customization because the TCP/IP network when Rogers is your ISP is different than the TCP/IP network when Bell is your ISP.  Didn't this use to be the case with SmartPhones, where you needed a specific model for your carrier, but we have increasingly moved to a world where one iPhone is the same regardless of your carrier in Beijing, Bombay or Baddeck?

Why shouldn't every network become a generic IP over fibre network (or whatever it is called).  So plugging in an IPTV box is no different than plugging in an Android/Apple TV box?  Are we moving to that in the future?  Doesn't that make sense?

By the way - is that the end game for IPTV?  "Cable TV" is just another app on the box connected to your TV or on your phone or tablet.  Kind of like how I have (or at least had) a Rogers TV app on my Xbox beside my Netflix App and my NHL app.

Or are there too many vested interests that don't way to see this happen, such as monthly box rental revenue?

Sundog1966
I Plan to Stick Around

So if I am on the connected for success 25Mb, does that then mean I will not be able to move to the X1 service?

Sundog1966
I Plan to Stick Around

So what happens to people who have  a 720k tv? Do they get a different box?

wayner92

@Sundog1966 wrote:

So if I am on the connected for success 25Mb, does that then mean I will not be able to move to the X1 service?

Isn't that just an internet service?  I don't know that it has any bearing on the TV services that you would get.  And presumably Rogers will be migrating everyone to X1 - although that may be years away.

Sundog1966
I Plan to Stick Around

I wonder it it will be like the chrome cast? A dongle hanging off the back of every tv. Would you then be charged for each dongle?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Sundog1966 wrote:

There are no 720P TVs. Any older/less expensive fixed pixel displays like LCD, LED, Plasma, etc were 768P and all of them accepted 1080i, so it's a "non issue". See the following FAQ on the topic:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/73528-faq-native-display-resolution-vs-inpu...

Sundog1966
I Plan to Stick Around

I know that here where I live there are problems with old cable. I don't get several channels that my package is supposed to receive. Technician indicated poor cabling and infrastructure and filed a report to rogers. So does that mean Rogers will have to re-cable my building (An old victorian house) before I can  receive the service??

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Sundog1966 wrote:

I wonder it it will be like the chrome cast? A dongle hanging off the back of every tv. Would you then be charged for each dongle?

Please don't confuse IPTV with OTT.  Although at some point in the future you may be able to use your own device, that is not the intent with Rogers proposed IPTV to be implemented later this year.

wayner92

@Sundog1966 wrote:

I would guess that Rogers would be offering an HD box which outputs 1080i, 720p, etc and a 4K box which outputs the 4K format(s) in addition to the HD and SD formats.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Sundog1966 wrote:

I know that here where I live there are problems with old cable. I don't get several channels that my package is supposed to receive. Technician indicated poor cabling and infrastructure and filed a report to rogers. So does that mean Rogers will have to re-cable my building (An old victorian house) before I can  receive the service??

If you have inferior RF-coax like RG-59 instead of RG-6 in your home, it would be your responsibility to pay for replacing this cabling. In some cases Rogers can make RG-59 work (depending on cable length using an amp) and in some "easy installs" they may even run a new cable.  This all assumes that you're paying for Rogers cable TV services, which, in one of your posts, seemed questionable?

This seems to be going way off topic for this thread.

DeanLubaki
I Plan to Stick Around

To start with,I just don't understand why Rogers still sticks to cable.

In my Toronto condo, the fiber runs up to my unit, but they convert it back to cable. Like f***. What a total waste! It's like they half-did their migration to fiber. Just give the folks with FTTH IP equipment! It's not like the NetBox doesn't have a Ethernet port.

I remember back in 2012 in Québec City when Bell deployed FTTH. Back then, we had a 1000/1000mbps plan that used to cost peanuts, and Bell had all IP equipement... No converting to DSL :')
And that was 2012.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers has a hybrid system which is FTTN (fibre to the node in most installations), with RF-coax going to the home (the last km).  RF-coax has plenty of bandwidth for what's necessary for current internet and TV.  It's not like twisted pair (Bell FTTN) which has very limited bandwidth.

It costs roughly $1000 for each Fibre connection to a home (single family dwelling), so while it is implemented in some new areas with new construction, you're unlikely to see a cable company implement/retrofit FTTH since the RF-coax bandwidth is more than adequate.

In those new areas with FTTH, perhaps they will implement fibre/equipment (like Fibe) once all of this is ironed out.