cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X1 IPTV service

I Plan to Stick Around

Last year Rogers announced that it will be using the American IPTV platform X1.  Does this affect any of the current cable television customers?  Will current customers automatically be updated to this new platform or will this be in addition to the current cable service?

***EDITED LABELS***

292 REPLIES 292

Re: X1 IPTV service

wayner92
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Sorry if this is a basic question but what are the benefits to the end user of an IPTV system compared to the current system(s) offered by Rogers?  I can understand how this is beneficial to Rogers' network architecture, but how does it benefit your average TV watcher?  Is it supposed to be better interactive and on-demand services?  

DeanLubaki
I Plan to Stick Around

*Runs, pushes everybody*
mmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeee FIIIIIIRRRSST!

wayner92
I'm a Reliable Contributor

You first for what?

Colour me skeptical but I find it hard to believe that X1 IPTV will be all that great.  It may have stuff like "deep Netflix integration" which makes it good for TV plus Netflix but what about Amazon Video, YouTube, CraveTV or MLBtv, etc.  There will always be services that we want that won't be available on Rogers' boxes for technical, competitive or other reasons.  I doubt that a closed architecture system like this will meet my needs as a more sophisticated consumer.  I will still likely need or want something like a Roku or AndroidTV or AppleTV at each TV.  Having Rogers Cable be an app on that box would be better IMHO.

It looks like this service may allow you to rent small wireless boxes.  That sounds good in theory but I have learned the hard way that rule number one when distributing video is to hardwire if at all possible.

What I want from Rogers is a high quality signal 1080p or 2160p that is easy to record onto a PC without DRM.   CableCARD would be AWESOME!   But I am in a very small minority.  I really wish that cable system became more open and that you could buy an STB from any one of a variety of companies, like TiVo, Win MCE, or others.  But that battle was lost a while ago.

How and where can I apply to become a beta tester ?

pvanb
I Plan to Stick Around

@wayner92 wrote:

CableCARD would be AWESOME!

CableCARD in itself is very much not awesome, but I would welcome it warts and all if only to be able to go back to using my beloved TiVo.

Aaaanyway... since that's never going to happen I'd be happy to get on the Beta Train for this X1 thing. Are people selected at random? There must be somewhere to opt into the program, right?