X1 IPTV service

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rvsoo7
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: X1 IPTV service

I was in a Rogers store today and saw a display for Ignite TV.  Saw the Ignite terminal and remote control.  The terminal is very compact and just a bit bigger than a Roku or Apple TV.  I asked the agent working in the store when it's coming out and he was only able to offer "very soon" with not much more information than that.  

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hey guys!

Taking a look at the comments, not many are pleased.

" Service is planned to start around mid summer from what I have heard. As stated all agents are to be trained by end of month. From what I have seen stating price for a three product bundle was $149.99( Starter tv and 150u internet and home home) As well $149.99 for a install, as already stated techs will have multiple devices set in the home to make sure you have full wifi coverage in the entire house with the 1 modem and plans to use extenders. Only main issue with it is the cost for the level of service stating price of $150 a month base line is crazy. No information on if any discounts will be available. Price comes with 1 tv terminal any extra would be at $10 more per month"

I get 2 4K boxes and the highest cable package including 4 additional channels, 1 gigabyte speeds Plus the modem, home phone and the highest RSMH package for less then $300. That's for everything in a package. Here you need to pay almost the same amount if not more if u want higher Internet speeds and eveything else.

Doubt many will get this. Also i have learned there is only 1 HDMI output. So for older folks with older TV's, this is useless to them.

Maybe when Rogers gives me a package with what I have including Ignite TV then I'll take it. As much I would love to try it, for me it's not worth it unless they package it up with Gigabyte Internet speed and my smart home.
BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Meowmix  Thanks for the update - if those are the prices, they can count me out.

I am reducing my budget on Internet, home phone and TV and if this is the route they choose to go, well then, Cable to my home was a nice ride for 40 years, but this takes me out of the game.

What they have done in this, if it is correct is put it above the price range of the competitor, counting on a new unproven product, with known licensing restrictions and crippled components of the model, with the hope that those who want a higher speed in those areas where the competitor has not rolled out their Gigabit up and down and synchronous, but Rogers has slow upload speeds (we here it is coming - now there is an infamous phrase).

I wonder if they will roll out a similiar on slower speeds with a lower set point, possibly I could consider it, but for now, at that price range, the competitor does better on price on an established and proven product.  Customer service issues aside, both companies have the highest number of CCTC complaints in the last review, and personally.  They had best not cripple the current service any further and keep it available, because I see nothing here that even makes me think.

Just my two cents.

Plus I have an older TV - a 36" flat front CRT Sony - has great colour and it has served us well and still does.  We will run it until it dies.

Curiousity - where did the quote come from, or did I miss it.

Bruce

Starter TV, and 150u and home phone (local I would suspect with add on cost for what we use home phone for with business contacts and family in the US) for 149.00 I take that back, that is Bell for Starter and 50 and home phone, is almost half that.  I have never had speed in my home, I just turned down 150 for a bit more over my current plan, because, listen to my words, because Rogers can't seem to here this one well - I am reducing my budget, I am looking for reductions in price and the mix of TV that I want, or I will go OTT and antenna, because Starter, or dropping HBO, or some of our speciality mix leaves us with much that we have no interest to pay money for things we don't watch or can get similiar or same entertainment via other technologies.

So maybe this is a bit of a lead test for reaction, but from this customer, not a chance.  I would take 50 from Bell unlimited, over the top, a starter, and HBO/TMN and a couple of other single channels and be well under 149.00.

And I still have a tv that doesn't have HDMI.  Why toss a good Sony CRT, 36 inch, flat front screen until it dies.

Sundog1966
I Plan to Stick Around

Based on new information posted here e will be a $150 installation fee that is not able to be waived. You also will be required to move to a premium  tv package and a gigabit internet service making for $200 a month cable bill. My bill right now is $47 for cable and 11.99 for internet (Connected for success which will not qualify) and I can not use the box I own (An old 8020) so there will be a rental fee on-top of say $25.00 a month. That makes my monthly cable $250 a month. Not an option since I only get $247 a month on welfare. They are also going to have to pry my 8020 from my cold dead Hands since they no longer allow for purchase of the cable box. I figure it will be another decade or so before I am forced to do anything about TV. Unless Rogers forces the issue by force-ably replacing rental units, There is also the issue of  a lot of people don't want to pay for internet if they have it on their phone. Again this is not an option for a lot of people. If I can get access to  major networks on my phone and  cast it to my TV why would I pay Rogers $250 a month for  internet service that has no value to me. 25Mb a second through the connected for success is fast enough for me and if needed I can use my  phone data plan or go to a library. TV is a convenience not a necessity and certainly I am  not making 100k a year income so that this ultra premium service looks affordable 

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

I read the previous articles, had missed them.

One thing to be aware of - the voice remote and the deep search across OTT and the TV channel mix is currently before the courts without a ruling as of yet - Tivo/Riko licenses led to the removal of the some of the search features and manage my PVR on anyplace TV which we currently have seen, so Rogers and Comcast are playing a bit of a gamble on the licensing of all those "neat features".  Voice control would be good replacement for those with text comprehension and visual disabilities, so hope it goes through.

But still say, at that price point and install, I will be one of those who just sits back.  I am still seriously looking at dumping TV completely as I have said before - it is just barely in the budget now, and we are currently in the middle of rejigging our spending choices and Rogers is the last big ticket item left to work with, while things like medication and maintenance on our 17 year old home and a 200,000 km car.  Over 10,000 dollars on the house and car in the last year, so hope that is more stable.  But maybe this is why they made my renewal on my older services with no changes so easy this time - no haggling, just renewed, no contract.  Still lots of room to chop even my older services back, but definitely this model is for a time when my wife and I both had good paying jobs and increasing salaries, but that is not our life anymore.

Bruce

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Sundog1966

My finances are not as tight as yours, but like you, I am looking at options like going to library for Internet, I already go to restaurants and doughnut shops - it makes for an occasional luxury for my wife and me.

I have no data on my phone, but all my services are pretty low end.

Thanks for speaking up for those of us who do not have the money to throw at a "luxury", and as you have learned and you seem comfortable with the reality as am I, you keep the focus on the ball in hand and use what you can get.

Hang in there buddy and enjoy life and each day - I have lived without TV many times in my life, if necessary I can do it again.

Bruce

Sundog1966
I Plan to Stick Around

This might be an interesting backgrounder on where things might end up overall. http://www.actra.ca/wp-content/uploads/Nordicity-Miller-Lets-Talk-TV-economic-impact-forecast.pdf

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

This one is a deep read, but yes, very interesting. 

I was looking at the classification of TV watchers - we are watchers of cable news networks, and daily news TV on CBC, including cable News from Internationally.

We are not sports watchers at all.  I get my sports via YouTube as my viewing is select to snooker, darts, road and track cycling internationally and nationally, and golf.  I have no interest in the traditional money makers of football, tennis, hockey and baseball.

I follow it on the periphery via news updates and articles.

I am not a good enough TV watcher, I can just as easily give up TV period rather than lesser quality.  I can get more than enough via YouTube to meet my music needs and documentaries, as well as very select topic areas like the study of Buddhism, health research, psychology, and online Coursera - I have always been an intellect with TV as a distraction.

And certainly I fit well into that group of watching off the shelf library shows from traditional TV, such as all the NCIS, Bull, and i am ok with Silicon Valley, 3 seasons late on Crave, and the new CBS All access offering to Canada is well priced and deep in content.

I do see the concern about how to keep Canadian content and tv production live, but as said a few years back, we have to become more capable of competing on the world stage.  Consider HGTV's and Food and other similiar Canadian productions move into the US and England and various spots around the world.  CTV is holding its ground well in TV production, as well as Chorus, but it is enlightening to get a third party view on the potential iimpact of the various model changes on the production and distribution industry in Canada.

But for me, I realize I have always been in the group that TV was a distraction for life, that I had a full offering of things to occupy me, and even though my health leaves me confined, and I am recovering my motivation to find new avenues of entertainment and occupation (which includes hobbies and daily activities) from a major PTSD episode, I am finding that framework to be available in different ways, and TV still remains nothing but a distraction and something that I am very comfortable with just letting drop off to the wayside, while finding the cheapest mix available to me, as I always have.

Certainly the new model that I see being pushed, both on our current Navigatr platform and now the IPTV is priced out of my ball park, and I have comfort in making the leap when I decide I need to and can let it all go if necessary.  I keep reflecting on the fact that I have a baseball diamond across the street, lots of walking paths, beautiful parks, my gardens, and tons of wild life just outside my door of my home.  I have my own national geographic and sports, and child activity shows go on outside my door every day, and no shortage of documentary and thinking discussusions available via online courses, Ted Talks and many others.

I do see the whole industry sitting on a precipice and if they are not careful, it could crumble, but I suspect that the Canadian people can pull together and drive the market in a way that keeps as a productive force in both Canadian and international entertainment.

But some of the BDU's are going to have to watch the trends closely as they could easily get in over their heads when it comes to moving to technological change in delivery while not keeping the customer and the Canadian market in their sights and missing out that the best technology in the world is useless is you don't have enough consumers to keep it going, or overprice it.

Good discussion, kind of an extension to the Let's talk TV initiative and wireless intitiative by the CRTC and its relationship to consumer product, behaviours, BDU behaviour, technology, and production, and also the whole perspective of choice and availability across the country.  We need to always remember that although around 80% are in urban areas, that other 20% are in smaller less urban and rural areas, representing close to 7.5 million of our 35 million citizens, along with the need to consider a reasonable equitable access to media and Internet and communications to those with lower or low medium incomes.

Bruce

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Sundog1966, @BS I can see this new technology is going to be very expensive compared to what I'm paying now for VIP.  Fortunately, Rogers will still support legacy hardware and packages for quite some time after the change. If not, they will be losing a huge number of customers. Right now my cable bill just under $100 and I've decided once it goes over that, I'll be looking at other technologies for my TV entertainment. There is no way I'll pay double or triple what I'm paying now on my fixed income.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
toolcubed
I'm a Senior Contributor

Vote with your wallets people. If Rogers is going to be stubborn and inflexible with their pricing of X1, then take your business elsewhere. I’m no fan of any telecom provider but Bell certainly had much better pricing and flexibility when they launched Fibe...and they still entice people to switch where they push fibre right to the home. If the rumours are true about the X1 packages and their price, it just doesn’t make any sense. They can’t even claim that it’s superior to other IPTV solutions (e.g. Fibe) because it’s not, ESPECIALLY where Bell has FTTP. I really thought things were going to be different (for the better) under Joe Natale but it’s just been more of the same old Rogers, and looks like it’ll continue to be that way.