cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X1 IPTV service

I Plan to Stick Around

Last year Rogers announced that it will be using the American IPTV platform X1.  Does this affect any of the current cable television customers?  Will current customers automatically be updated to this new platform or will this be in addition to the current cable service?

***EDITED LABELS***

292 REPLIES 292

Re: X1 IPTV service

pvanb
I Plan to Stick Around

So I guess that's a non-starter for me too then. I have zero interest in Rogers phone.

pvanb
I Plan to Stick Around

They don't want wide scale deployment yet though. Even if internal testing found and fixed all the bugs (it wouldn't have), rolling out a brand new platform slowly is the smart thing to do. Offering it as an all-or-nothing bundle at the highest tier does this naturally and actually makes a lot of sense.

Sundog1966
I Plan to Stick Around

At this initial stage making it a premium  choice will lead to a slow deployment but will require very careful qualification of customers. You want people who are comfortable  with new untested technology who consider themselves early adopters. If you don't make this qualification then you can get a lot of  wealthy people with high expectations  slamming a new product  before its ready for wide scale deployment. It really need to be deployed to  selected customers.

For wider scale deployments you need to provide incentive based on a high medium and low income model. We also have no answer for people who are on connected for success. There has been a new announcement by the federal government of a low cost internet and computer program that could affect this as well and may require it to be integrated into this program which is a federal program. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-ottawa-announces-timing-of-5g-spectrum-auctions-new...

Mine is getting set up this Sat, so can let you know how it is.

A little price increase for me.. but nothing too drastic, as I was on a higher TV package, and a mid tier internet package already.
But that is also going with the 500u internet..
The min is the 500u currently, i think while they stress test the service.  As time goes on will able to be used with much lower speeds likely.

My guess is once things are stabilized a little... then it will pop up as the 'norm', that all new installs will be it.
They have already long stopped with purchases on the older boxes, etc.. they are wanting less and less people on them long term.

As for pricing.. like 57 said, dont want to necessarily get into specifics.
Its an all in one bundle price.. $X for the 3 services.. no separate breakdown.. all 3 come together.
That being said.. while expensive-ish.. it is a 'bundle' price per say.  Comparing the regular price for the 500u, and the premier TV..  its already just slightly cheaper than those two, plus the home phone then essentially free.
One box included free, additional's are $10 each

As mentioned.. its a completely different modem, even than from the existing CODA modems in use right now.
It has the home phone part built in.. only 2 wired Ethernet ports from my understanding.
By default... they will set up everything from this modem.  The TV boxes, etc will be set up to communicate with its wifi, etc.
But have talked with two of the concierge people, and both have said that you CAN bridge the modem to your own router.. and you can then in the TV, connect it to your own routers wifi..  The only thing being.. if you have any issues? Tech support cant help you.
I will let them set it up their way.. and run it like that possibly for a bit.. haven't decided yet.

From your comments that would mean that the XB6 modem is going to accompany the IPTV box.  There are two versions of that modem, an Arris built Intel Puma 7 version (CODA-4582 is a Puma 7 modem) and a Technicolour built version using the Broadcom BCM-3390 chipset.  Fwiw, the 3390 chipset should much better compared to the Puma 7, and the CODA-4582 is probably miles ahead of the Arris XB6 modem.  So, this should be interesting to see what version shows up for the installation.    At the prices mentioned so far, don't think I'll be doing this, and, this doesn't fit with the trial modems which some customers are presently using. 

From what I understand, the employee trial phase is over and any Rogers employees that want this service are paying the full employee price now.