cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X1 IPTV service

I Plan to Stick Around

Last year Rogers announced that it will be using the American IPTV platform X1.  Does this affect any of the current cable television customers?  Will current customers automatically be updated to this new platform or will this be in addition to the current cable service?

***EDITED LABELS***

292 REPLIES 292

Re: X1 IPTV service

From your comments that would mean that the XB6 modem is going to accompany the IPTV box.  There are two versions of that modem, an Arris built Intel Puma 7 version (CODA-4582 is a Puma 7 modem) and a Technicolour built version using the Broadcom BCM-3390 chipset.  Fwiw, the 3390 chipset should much better compared to the Puma 7, and the CODA-4582 is probably miles ahead of the Arris XB6 modem.  So, this should be interesting to see what version shows up for the installation.    At the prices mentioned so far, don't think I'll be doing this, and, this doesn't fit with the trial modems which some customers are presently using. 

From what I understand, the employee trial phase is over and any Rogers employees that want this service are paying the full employee price now.  

What would be the best way to find out which it is?

Thats another reason I think that i MIGHT keep the new one in gateway mode for a period of time.

Just so that I can give support to others here who may have setup, etc questions with it.

(as long as its able to do all the stuff at minimum I need to do)

mcsandy
I Plan to Stick Around

Based off the comments im reading here its a very questionable business model coming from Rogers. Forcing customers into a triple play bundle for a premium price? Consumers are moving away from home phone and TV in general, give customers more choice and a competitive pricing selection and this could actually be successful. If anything this is pushing more people towards Bell.

Just my personal opinion.

Edit: Currently on a Triple play bundle i didn't even want but gave me the best deal lol..

Well bell your still in a double, that you need the internet for the TV. 🙂

Over time.. yes there needs to be much tweeking/options/pricing.

I'll be watching like a hawk as its fully rolled out.. and adjust my plans as needed.

Oh, on the 4k front.
These boxes are 4k capable, but its off by default.  Need to call in to have them enable it.
I think partially because any recordings done in 4k.. will not be able to play back on non 4k tvs, etc.

mcsandy
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty

Isn't the main focus of X1 for Rogers to clear up channels for more spectrum on the broadband? If the adoption is slow wont it delay going Full Duplex even more?

Granted Rogers CEO has stated in the future we are looking into late 2019 before the hardware will even be available on the internet side. He did mention their goal was to move everyone into X1 platform by the end of 2019 I think.

Sundog1966
I Plan to Stick Around

I have had a couple of technicians swoon when they come in and see my 4 8-bay NAS units, two servers 9one a PF sense firewall and the other a database server for developer station for SQL server), 4 desktops and three laptops plus smart tvs x 3 with a QNAp 10Gb switch connecting the NAS Units to turn them into a SAN and then a 16-port gigabit smart switch connecting all the rest of the hardware along with my 23u rack cabinet and my two post holding the rest. ( I do some video editing from time to time).. Most of this is left over from a business I had a couple of years ago.

Your description makes me think that they are setting each service up on its own vlan or across a private VPN and thus you can bridge without interfering.

Sundog1966
I Plan to Stick Around

I Don't see that happening by 2019 especially with lower income customers using connected for success and a select or basic cable package and that own thier own cable box.

mcsandy
I Plan to Stick Around

@Sundog1966

That's why im disappointed in Rogers trying to squeeze customers instead of just pushing through better service. Ironically they have been focusing on "improving customer experience" these past years. That's how it is when you answer to shareholders unfortunately.  

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Sundog1966 wrote:

I think there are only three ways for Rogers to get wide scale deployment. 1 Direct substitution for existing customers and waive the install. 2. Make it mandatory for all new customers effective Jan 1 2019. 3. Wait for legacy customers to expire and require those moving to accept the new service. Internet and cable bundle now becomes mandatory for all moves to new addresses. You want one you must take the other. They will lose a lot of customers but the only alternative is bell or nothing since internet is needed for cord cutting. I expect Bell to make Fibe part of every internet install in the future. Cost is similar between the two services.

I think you see it the same as I do. It's discounts included in bundling services that has made switching plans and providers based om price, speed and features very complicated. Everybody needs Internet. But with Internet there are also other ways to get your favourite TV programs and sports.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Sundog1966
I Plan to Stick Around

Well I can say that after a year of service calls they finally  figured out that the 8 port tap in my building needed to be replaced. It was over ten years old. I now get all my channels with good sound and no blank channels with all the channels I am supposed to get (5 channels failed in total 3 analog and two digital). My last call was because of intermittent outages. So now that I have everything I am paying for I am going to stick with it as long as I live here , which knowing the  low income housing list (187,000 people on the list across the province total) will be the next 13 years until I get on the seniors housing list. So I intend to hold onto the box at least that long unless they offer a  identical cut over at no extra cost and no change in my monthly bill with my low cost connected for success internet.

@Gdkitty my guess is that you won't know which modem is available until it shows up at your doorstep.  When it does arrive, have a look at the back or bottom of the modem to see who built it, Arris or Technicolour.  Ask the tech if he or she happens to have both versions.  If you have a choice, I'd suggest taking the Technicolour version as it should be much better for gaming purposes.  However, time will tell.  We'll see what the customer reaction is over the next few weeks. 

Here's what the XB6 looks like:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/04/comcast-gateway/

Looking at a video, the XB6 as deployed by Comcast has two ethernet ports, 2 RJ-11 ports for telephones and no USB port.  

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@pvanb wrote:

So I guess that's a non-starter for me too then. I have zero interest in Rogers phone.

I've always been leery of any other kind of "home phone" other than the red and green wires from the phone company at the demarcation point. When the Hydro is out, my ordinary phones still work, other than the cordless ones. Sure, you can put a lot of stuff on a UPS, but that won't keep it going for 8 hours, , happens. While a lot of people have cellphones with adequate free data to stay connected to the Internet, I'm not one of them.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

@Sundog1966 wrote:

I have had a couple of technicians swoon when they come in and see my 4 8-bay NAS units, two servers 9one a PF sense firewall and the other a database server for developer station for SQL server), 4 desktops and three laptops plus smart tvs x 3 with a QNAp 10Gb switch connecting the NAS Units to turn them into a SAN and then a 16-port gigabit smart switch connecting all the rest of the hardware along with my 23u rack cabinet and my two post holding the rest. ( I do some video editing from time to time).. Most of this is left over from a business I had a couple of years ago.

Your description makes me think that they are setting each service up on its own vlan or across a private VPN and thus you can bridge without interfering.

That would be nice if its possible..

I know they used to originally for the smarthome monitoring, use a hidden separate SSID, VLANd differently.. and you could still bridge that way.

IF thats the case here.. would be even better.  That I could run bridged no issues.
Though, again, I may still keep it the other way a bit possibly.. just to see the features.
Worse case, I will try and document all the pages with screenshots before I bridge over.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One item I neglected to mention about (Ignite) Home Phone is that if you make a 911 call from your residence, the 911 operator doesn't know where you are.  You have to be able to provide your address. This may be an issue for young children, old folks, house sitters, etc.

The CSR I spoke to was very upfront regarding any deficiencies compared to what I currently have.  I don't know if this will be addressed in the future somehow.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

When the Hydro is out, my ordinary phones still work, other than the cordless ones. Sure, you can put a lot of stuff on a UPS, but that won't keep it going for 8 hours, , happens. While a lot of people have cellphones with adequate free data to stay connected to the Internet, I'm not one of them.

Although I have my PVRs plugged into a UPS with the Home Phone, if the power outage looks like it'll last (say the 5-10 minute mark), I'll unplug higher power draw items, allowing for much longer UPS times - many hours.  I also plug my cordless base into the UPS, so that I can use my cordless phones.  The base only draws 1-2W.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

One item I neglected to mention about Home Phone is that if you make a 911 call from your residence, the 911 operator doesn't know where you are.  You have to be able to provide your address. This may be an issue for young children, old folks, house sitters, etc.

The CSR I spoke to was very upfront regarding any deficiencies compared to what I currently have.  I don't know if this will be addressed in the future somehow.

Thats interesting.
As the current rogers home phone.. is already a form of VOIP, that its able to provide that information..
Maybe the one with the new modem is just not able to do that?

Hybrid_Noodle
I Plan to Stick Around
When I was speaking with the Rogers rep he didn’t even mention the home phone portion until much later. It was kind of funny as it was a throw in service. Like you buy this IPTV and internet bundle you get a free home phone. Which you can hook up or just put off in a corner somewhere.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor
"Well bell your still in a double, that you need the internet for the TV. Smiley Happy"

Actually you can get bell stand alone fibe. You just don't get the bundle discount and pay full price for install.

They don't tell you unless you ask. And you can cancel the internet and or phone anytime. Just pay back any discounts of the bundle and install.
Bruce

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You can get TV stand alone?

I know you can get internet stand alone.. but i thought the TV was tied to their internet.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @Gdkitty

Yup you can. The install fee wont be waived or cut in half and you don't get discounts. They don't advertise it much because they want you to get the bundle. Just like Rogers does the same thing...

Ah ok.

That makes me think more along the lines that the Rogers ignite TV may just work of your regular wifi network, even in bridged mode.
If they are going along the same concepts as bells... as its the only way the can guarantee it.

And guessing they only offer, much like rogers, only limited support for the TV service then too if running via other means.