cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X1 IPTV service

536
I Plan to Stick Around

Last year Rogers announced that it will be using the American IPTV platform X1.  Does this affect any of the current cable television customers?  Will current customers automatically be updated to this new platform or will this be in addition to the current cable service?

 

***EDITED LABELS***

292 REPLIES 292

Re: X1 IPTV service

Darkfire64
I've Been Here Awhile

@Sundog1966 wrote:
It was supposed to be available in March but information I am getting is it won’t be available till late this year or Q1 2019

Hmmm well that is certainly disappointing if true. I'll probably recommended a switch to Bell by June/July if no news on the rollout of Roger's new service becomes available. I'm getting tired of the constant texts and complaints from the folks 😛

Re: X1 IPTV service

wayner92
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Sundog1966 wrote:
I think in the long run we may end up with some type of very high capability home server that has storage and say 16 cpu cores. I think that media storage and presentation is only part of it. It will likely be cloud based with inheritance right to allow family members to maintain media and e-book licences. I also think utilities will want to be part of this for service management. You also may be able to rent out processing power to companies for data analysis. Apps will then run cloud based. This way the tv just has to be smart enough to access its server on the net.

I disagree - I have a few home servers and I think it is too difficult for most users to manage.  Like it or not we are going to a cloud model.  Everything will be stored on servers in the cloud, whether those servers belong to Netflix, Rogers or the NFL.  We will have small set top boxes, like a Roku, AppleTV or Nvidia Shield at our TVs that connect to content on the cloud.  This has already happened with Music - there is no need or point to have your own MP3s any more as you can just listen to music on Spotify or a similar service.

Re: X1 IPTV service

57
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Pauly wrote:
 I have predicted about this and talked about this with my friends and family at least 5 years ago and especially at a time when I was NOT working for any major telecommunications firms, I thought of this idea all by my self with of course the help of my knowledge of how this stuff works.

One of my posts from 2006:

 

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/206-2006/53868-format-war-year-1-a.html#post471389



Re: X1 IPTV service

wayner92
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Good call although it ends up we ended up with the streaming or VOD outcome as opposed to downloading.  But discs still give you the best quality.  I believe that 4K BluRay discs have a bitrate of 100 Mbps as opposed to about 15 Mbps for streaming 4K services like Netflix.

Re: X1 IPTV service

57
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, the lingo of the time didn't make use of streaming or OTT since it was "in the beforetime", but the gist of the prediction is there.

 

As for bitrate, Netflix and Amazon 4K are mostly around 15-20 mbps, however, some people have reported bitrates on YouTube as high as 100 mbps under "stats for nerds", but is dependent on the programme in question and time of day too as it may be server-limited during peak times.



Re: X1 IPTV service

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Another thing to note:  There are content providers out there which you can "Purchase" a DVD quality movie, but the movie is stored on their "cloud" indefinitely.  Note: there is a difference between the rights to "Watch" a movie aka netflicks, and the rights to "Own" a movie, they have different price points.   A lot of people are forgetting that some movies on Netflicks will eventually disappear so the "purchase" the movie and have it sit on the cloud makes sense to some people.  but the majority of the public don't care and think it will be there forever and will not attempt to own a copy of it and will rely on streaming it over and over until the day comes that it disappears from the site.



Re: X1 IPTV service

Sundog1966
I Plan to Stick Around

I agree running a home server on Linux or Windows is too difficult for the average user but we are seeing  the Synology NAS Units and similar devices simplifying the interface and they are developing virtual capabilities and cloud based access. The current problem is that each company has its own way of being accessed and when the company shuts down or goes bankrupt  you access to the media becomes invalid. If you die all your media technically becomes de-licecned as well because the underlying contract with the service provider expires. We need a way of transferring this licencing to other member of the family or ideally the licence is for the  family and not the individual. This way you just change the credit card associated with the account and continue enjoy the  media. The other area  you need a server for are self created works, book, pictures, movies, academic research, patents and trademark able products that can be licences. These product particularly are not going to be able to be maintained by a third party such as Netflix or even Microsoft on a cloud drive. What is your transition plan for your data and servers for when you pass on? I have had to recover  several PC's for families when a member gets into a car accident and dies or even commits suicide. Its important to have a plan and a document with passwords and an idea of what content there is and where it is located as well as procedures you are using to back it up and maintain it.

Re: X1 IPTV service

Rogers to look like Comcast Xfinity

 

The sooner Rogers can implement the Xfinity system including voice control, and the new remote the better!!

Re: X1 IPTV service

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Some of the voice control elements of Comcast/Xfinity on the remote, in particular the naming of a TV show and time, are licensed by RIKO, formally TIVO and is awaiting a decision by two state courts, and international licensing court, so we may not necessarily see the full feature set that has been presented as part of the Comcast model - same as why we are awaiting on managing our PVR from anything but the legacy Home Anyplace TV app on the smart phones.  

 

Every company in North America that signed on with Comcast to license their full product feature set has been caught in these licensing battles between Comcast and Riko (Tivo), or the alternative is that Comcast has to build from the ground up a different model of doing the same thing that doesn't violate the licensing.

 

But it will all come in some form or other sooner or later.

 

Notice that Rogers stopped calling it X1 and  IPTV or Comcast - it is all rebranded as Ignite TV.

 

Bruce

Re: X1 IPTV service

tarheel
I'm Here A Lot

Hello,

 

Is there a release date for this service yet? I know Rogers employees are testing the service currently.

Any help is appreciated.

Re: X1 IPTV service

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @tarheel

Not at the moment here isn't a exact date for launch. However I know a few reps that are using it and love it! Just have bugs and issues going on thus they are also taking their time fixing those out. Patience is key here.

Stay tuned!

Re: X1 IPTV service

Hwaiting
I Plan to Stick Around
@Meowmixwrote:
Hello @tarheel

Not at the moment here isn't a exact date for launch. However I know a few reps that are using it and love it! Just have bugs and issues going on thus they are also taking their time fixing those out. Patience is key here.

Stay tuned!

Any word on what kind of hardware?  More specially, are they going to have a box that is completely wireless (like Bell) that doesn't require a coax input?

Re: X1 IPTV service

SkaGoat
I Plan to Stick Around

Is this new Ignite TV going to replace the current Nextbox service? Or is it going to be a new premium system?

Re: X1 IPTV service

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

I would think it will eventually replace the current service, but given how long it took to drag people off analogue, its not going to be a quick turnover.

Re: X1 IPTV service

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Hwaitingwrote:
@Meowmixwrote:
Hello @tarheel

Not at the moment here isn't a exact date for launch. However I know a few reps that are using it and love it! Just have bugs and issues going on thus they are also taking their time fixing those out. Patience is key here.

Stay tuned!

Any word on what kind of hardware?  More specially, are they going to have a box that is completely wireless (like Bell) that doesn't require a coax input?


The hardware will most likely be the same stuff Comcast uses for the most part.  If they have wireless boxes, then Rogers probably will as well.

Re: X1 IPTV service

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @Hwaiting

I can't give much details ( due to the agreement they have) but Lurker is kinda correct however alot has changed.

The box is stylish and has alot of powerhorse.

Re: X1 IPTV service

Sundog1966
I Plan to Stick Around

This may be more true in multi-tenancy dwellings. The house I am in has ten apartments in it and Bell won't install fiber since  the Operator TCHC is not willing to let them in to change all the wiring in all the apartments as well as re-cabling the alarm / telecom / electrical  room. I don't expect this to change  for at least the next two decades according to TCHC. In rogers case:  I think they will get significant resistance  from users of current and older boxes (Mine is over 10 years old an old 8020). They will have to roll out as these boxes die and thier users die and thier families return them to rogers when the  account is closed. So only new subscribers will be moved to X1.


Re: X1 IPTV service

Why would Rogers get resistance?

 

Wouldn't current users want the new service?

 

Am I missing something?

Re: X1 IPTV service

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @Sundog1966

Thats not correct at all. Existing and new Customers will be able to get the new Rogers Ignite IPTV boxes and services as long as they have compatible Internet services to run the system and also can get the boxes.

So everyone will be able to get them as long as their place is compatible with the Internet cable they will be using.

I cant share anymore information other then that. The information I have is the everyone will be able to get it as long as their place is compatible with the Internet services. They may have to run new wires if the older homes are not up to code with new wiring.

Re: X1 IPTV service

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @tarheel

It all depends on the owner of the building or housing. They rather not spend the money or time to rewire the whole place just for a new service.

However that's wrong because they will have to do this sooner rather then later because new services do come out often.

Some older folks also do not see the use for IPTV and rather stay with decade services which kind you aren't going to last because the new thing is IPTV and the new boxes ( 4K and future 8K services).

Re: X1 IPTV service

Any idea of release date?

 

Been waiting patiently but getting it handed to me by Bell Five and can't wait to cancel the service.

Topic Stats