cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would putting the SMC in "Bridge Mode" improve my speeds?

GaryKing
I'm a Regular

Right now, I'm on the Rogers Ultimate Internet package. I should be getting 150 mbps. Technically, I am getting that, but only if I plug an Ethernet cable directly from the SMC router to my computer (I get about 125 mbps, which is pretty reasonable).

However, my actual setup is that I connect my SMC to my Linksys router, and from the Linksys I connect to my other computers through Ethernet and WiFi. However, the Ethernet speeds I'm getting are about 50 mbps, and the WiFi speeds are about 25 mbps.

Technically, I don't have my SMC in "Bridge Mode". Would doing so give me speeds closer to the 150 mbps that I'm paying for, or am I stuck with lower speeds if I choose to use a separate router besides the default SMC that I am given?

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Would putting the SMC in "Bridge Mode" improve my speeds?

gisuck
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Also, the age of the router will play a role on the speeds you are getting. Like you, I am on Ultimate and was noticing varying speeds with my Linksys WRT610N router. Technically it should be a non-issue to see top notch speeds on a dual band wireless gigabit router, but yet I was. I was barely breaking 125mbps on ethernet, and hardly getting close to 100mbps on wireless.

For some reason, the router kicked the bucket and I bought myself a new Linksys EA6500 (Another dual band wireless router, that supports 802.11ac gigabit wireless) and my speeds sky rocketed completely.

The reason behind this is simply the processing power on the Linksys WRT610N was too wimpy to properly NAT the speeds from the WAN to the LAN bridge.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
That I know of bridged mode SHOULDN'T make a difference, but its worth a try.

One thing worth checking, on the smc, on the port where the linksys is pluged in, is it showing a 1g connection?
Many routers don't have this and could limit your max speeds if only running at 100, etc.

gisuck
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Also, the age of the router will play a role on the speeds you are getting. Like you, I am on Ultimate and was noticing varying speeds with my Linksys WRT610N router. Technically it should be a non-issue to see top notch speeds on a dual band wireless gigabit router, but yet I was. I was barely breaking 125mbps on ethernet, and hardly getting close to 100mbps on wireless.

For some reason, the router kicked the bucket and I bought myself a new Linksys EA6500 (Another dual band wireless router, that supports 802.11ac gigabit wireless) and my speeds sky rocketed completely.

The reason behind this is simply the processing power on the Linksys WRT610N was too wimpy to properly NAT the speeds from the WAN to the LAN bridge.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation