cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would downgrading my package affect my upload?

GaryKing
I'm a Regular

Right now I'm on the Ultimate package, getting 150 mbps / 10 mbps. However, in reality I'm getting 120 mbps / 2 mbps. The download I'm not bothered with. However, the upload is weak.

I'm also thinking of dropping down to Extreme Plus, which offers 45 mbps / 4 mbps. If I do that, then should my upload remain at 2 mbps since it's already below 4 mbps, or will it drop even further?

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Would downgrading my package affect my upload?

gisuck
I'm a Reliable Contributor

While the SMC is a D3 gateway, it doesn't have enough channel bonding to support 150/10mbps Ultimate package. As such, you may be on the 75/2mpbs Ultimate package charged at some rate like $103/month. To get the 150/10mbps Ultimate, you would need to upgrade your modem to the Hitron gateway modem. Once you do the modem exchange, called Rogers tech support and ask for your account to be upgraded to the $123 Ultimate package. They will confirm that you are using the proper modem in the system before upgrading your account.

SMC only support 4/4 channel bonding why the Hitron supports 8/4 channel bonding which allows you to get higher speeds.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Big question.. what modem are you using?

If you are not using one of the D3 gateways.. that COULD be partialy why you are not at your max.. you are on the older grandfathered unlimited speeds, etc.

If you ARE on one of the D3 gateways.. and only getting 2 up.. then yes, there is something else (weither rogers end, congestion, hardware bottleneck somehwere, etc) causing it.
Switching down a package.. shouldnt lower your speed any further.. though whatever is preventing it could still be preventing it from going up to 4mbps

I think I have a D3 gateway; it's the SMCD3GN, I believe. If it wasn't D3, then I probably wouldn't be getting 120 mbps download, I think?

Ok, that is the D3 gateway.

WHAT is causing your lower upload.. again could be a myriad of things, from rogers end to possibly your end..

BUT.. no, switching down a plan, shouldnt drop your speed lower, since you are already lower than the potential.

Switching down a plan to save some money and adding the unlimited on i see.. definately the smart idea, if you dont need ALL the speed of the ultimate.

gisuck

While the SMC is a D3 gateway, it doesn't have enough channel bonding to support 150/10mbps Ultimate package. As such, you may be on the 75/2mpbs Ultimate package charged at some rate like $103/month. To get the 150/10mbps Ultimate, you would need to upgrade your modem to the Hitron gateway modem. Once you do the modem exchange, called Rogers tech support and ask for your account to be upgraded to the $123 Ultimate package. They will confirm that you are using the proper modem in the system before upgrading your account.

SMC only support 4/4 channel bonding why the Hitron supports 8/4 channel bonding which allows you to get higher speeds.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

But the 8 is downstream.. which is TO you, not OUT.. the 4 is the upstream..
A D2 only has 1-2 channel up.... but all the D3s have 4 up, its just the DOWN The differs.

And plus I paid for my modem rather than renting it, so I imagine it'd be a bit tougher to exchange it.

gisuck

@Gdkitty wrote:

But the 8 is downstream.. which is TO you, not OUT.. the 4 is the upstream..
A D2 only has 1-2 channel up.... but all the D3s have 4 up, its just the DOWN The differs.

While this is true, the modem simply cannot handle the 150mbps download of 150/10 provisioning profile. This is why it's on a 75/2 profile, and the customer being charged at a smaller fee per month.

The modem will have to be exchanged, and I would move to rented at this point. If Rogers wants to bump up the speed again on Ultimate, they are going to need a modem that can handle more than 8 downstream channel bonding soon, as that will max out on the Hitron modem. They will probably be able to provision a 300mbps download profile on the Hitron and then a new modem would be required after that.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Though he IS looking to downgrade his  package.  So he may be able to get the 45/5 speed provisioned on the SMC.

Worse case.. it wont be WORSE for the upload than what he has.

And if he so chose to, could then after changing the plans, go to the Hitron (rent or buy). if he wanted to try.

I know the SMC provisions 2 just fine (im on the 25/2)

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation