World of Warcraft Disconnects

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rturnbull
I've Been Around

World of Warcraft Disconnects

Hi Y'all

I've been having issues with World of Warcraft since around the 19th of October - huge lag spikes and very frequent disconnects. These issues are only with World of Warcraft, not with other games.

After much browsing of the WoW forums, I've eliminated my game installation, my computer, my router, my network card, my graphics card and the server itself as the source of the problem. This leaves one - my ISP (you guys) and, according to the WoW forums, a number of ISPs (including Rogers) have had a problem with WoW data since their latest update (which was around the 19th of October).

They mumbled something about flagging wow packets as P2P traffic and throttling them and that I should talk to my ISP.

Is anyone else experiencing similar issues over the last couple of weeks, has anyone found a good fix for it and to whom should I be addressing my complaint? The game is basically unplayable now and, as it is a nice source of relaxation for myself, I intend to continue to be able to play it even if I need to switch ISPs.

I have various tracert and packet captures during a crash if they would help anyone.

Thanks in advance!

Robert

***edited labels***

zeldera
I've Been Around

Re: World of Warcraft Disconnects

Same problem. Blizzard wants to blame it on Rogers with these bad packets.

Tallinn
I've Been Here Awhile

Not sure if this is any help but here is my experience:

I know sometime after patch 4.01 I started having lockups going into dungeons, which I fixed by clearing my cache folder. I remember at that time people in my 5-man dungeons would keep d/c'ing randomly but it didn't happen to me.

A few days later I had several disconnects within about an hour period, particularly after a flightpath or while zoning. That seemed to go away on its own and since then I've been fine (played for several hours on weekend without issue). But I'll post here with any changes.

I use Rogers 25MB service in Toronto area for what its worth.

Netbug
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

I haven't played since about Feb of 2010 (but Cataclysm is a tempting mistress!), but I was a 6 year vet prior to that (original beta, whoohoo).

I know they've been doing a tonne of changes in the way the data is transmitted since 4.0 (or whatever the last major push was), however, it shouldn't have affected connectivity ("shouldn't" being the operative word).

There are a number of reports floating around the web (and I think i saw a couple on this forum) of some oddities with traffic management of P2P traffic that should not be occuring on the Rogers network. I've been trying to inquire about it, but it's a difficult topic to get a straight answer on.

If it is being caused by something on the Rogers end, such as traffic management software not working as it should be, we should be able to correct it once we can isolate it. There's a few lengthy threads at dslreports on the subject, which leads me to believe that something is going on, but not sure what at this point.

okinman
I've Been Around

I love you service, and for the last few days i have been randomly disconnecting from my hobby, WoW. 

Judging by the thousands of forum posts about this we all now know that there is an issue that is causing people

to randomly disconnect from WoW every 15 mins. or so.  Please let us know you are trying to fix it, contact WoW people, work together and lets get this issue resolved, I would like to contiune enjoying my hobby which needs a stable internet connection, if i can not do it with my favorite ISP, you rogers!! i will be forced to go somewhere else

Thank you

Tallinn
I've Been Here Awhile

okinman, not sure if you saw some posts in this thread:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/206

I'm assuming you have tried the troubleshooting listed on Blizzard's forum?

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=21010

Not trying to put fuel on a fire, but I'm using Rogers and have not experienced this constant disconnect issue. Maybe (so far) I'm lucky? I notice there are many posts in the Blizzard forums about disconnects and it looks like from different ISPs. But I agree there are some threads where several Rogers users report this issue.

Either way, hope that your issue gets fixed 🙂

Zhengyiz0705
I've Been Around

Bump!

I am having the same problem since patch 4.0.0.  I wish that rogers can figure out why and fix it as soon as possible.  I really want to play the game.

Kaiko
I've Been Around

This comment technically has nothing to do with Warcraft, but I've been noticing the exact same thing with my connection as well.  I on the other hand play Guild Wars and for the past couple of weeks I've been getting frequent odd ball disconnects.  Some help would be nice 🙂

RandomZero
I Plan to Stick Around

@Kaiko wrote:

This comment technically has nothing to do with Warcraft, but I've been noticing the exact same thing with my connection as well.  I on the other hand play Guild Wars and for the past couple of weeks I've been getting frequent odd ball disconnects.  Some help would be nice 🙂

Good luck. Common consensus when speaking with a Rogers rep, despite the fact that it's happening with multiple games, is it's Blizzards fault, so contact them.

mixerstephen
I've Been Here Awhile

This is something that still hasn't been fixed.