World IPv6 Day, June 8 2011

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

World IPv6 Day, June 8 2011

I ran the test at        www.Test-ipv6.com    to see if I was ready for this. 

My system registered an IPv4 and IPv6 address,  However, athough I will be able to reach IPv4 websites, I will probably be shut out of IPv6 websites.  Those with dual stack capability may load (slowly) or will crash.

The test showed that my ISP (Rogers) is not ready. I use a Rocket Stick, HSPDA+ 21Mbps.

The test on June 8 is expected to shut out 1 million internet users (less than 1% world wide), but with the state of our broadband services here in Canada, I would expect June 8 to be an interesting experience.

If Rogers is getting ready for this, it would be nice to see it posted as an announcement on the Community. 

I would also like to know if Rogers will be providing  config. changes or firmware upgrades for the red rocket stick.

***Edited Labels.***

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: World IPv6 Day, June 8 2011

I believe they are doing something behind the scenes, or may have

already run out of IP addresses and are recycling them with short

lease times.

I've been stuck on 1 hour DHCP leases for the last month and

a half here in London.

Almost daily my IP will change from something in the 99.255

block to 99.250, then 99.249, back to 99.250 again and so on,

all with the annoying 1-hr lease which can be problematic

for some things, and sometimes drops my connection entirely

during a download (really aggravating, really)

When I reported it to support they just gave me the form

letter "sounds like network segmentation" response but

when that occured in the past is was a couple weeks

then back to normal, this has been 6+ weeks already.

So its possible they are having to bounce existing

users around as new customers come online and they

have no IP addresses left to assign.

It appears the existing Rogers DNS/DHCP servers

are not IPv6 ready either, they might be doing that

in the background now, but as is typical for Rogers

they are very compartmentalized and tight with

information.  

Their users might be more forgiving if the company

was more forthcoming with information on what they

are doing, planning to do, where outages exist and

estimated fix times,etc.  All that info is basically impossible

to find anywhere, and on the rare cases where they do

post something its tucked away on some obscure page

with no direct link from anywhere a customer might

normally see.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi annoyed1973, I agree. You hit the nail on the head.

The internet is out of addresses, the transition to IPv6 actually starts Feb 20, 2011.  June 8 is the big test by Google, Yahoo and others to see what the real fall out will be.  

There is nothing the home user can do other than keep their OS  service patches up to date (maybe a config change by the more savy user ..UDP port defs is about all). however all of us will rely on the ISP to provide the technology required for the transition to go smoothly. Crashing websites, slow loading or zero access will not be tolerated for very long. 

On Feb 19 the last block of IPv4 addresses will be handed out (my understanding is that they are all going to China, so none for Canada). There will be no more addresses available after that ... just recycling as you say.  

The transition will take time, but with millions of new internet users coming online every year, business and government moving services to the internet, the proliferation of smart phones, TV over the internet etc. etc.,  it seems more than obvious that the transition will have to be accelerated.

It is inevitable that Rogers is gearing up for this as it would be a massive business risk if they did not.   Their  in-house equipment will no doubt be tested and ready for their own purposes, however on June 5, I am going to re-run the test to verify it. If it comes back as a negative, then I would have to question Rogers business acumen (don't laugh!).  Rolling out firmware upgrades,  providing config. changes or replacing client equipment is also inevitable, but this is the home user end of the solution and probably the lowest priority in the plan.  

Service includes communications with ones clients. 

I Plan to Stick Around

"It appears the existing Rogers DNS/DHCP serversare not IPv6 ready either"

You don't need DHCP with IPv6.  Normally, your IP address is a combination of your subnet address and your computer MAC address (with FFFE stuck in the middle of your MAC to pad it out to 64 bits).  Also, most DNS servers are capable of passing on an  IPv6 AAAA record, even if communications with that DNS server is only via IPv4.

I Plan to Stick Around

"I've been stuck on 1 hour DHCP leases for the last month and

a half here in London.

Almost daily my IP will change from something in the 99.255

block to 99.250, then 99.249, back to 99.250 again and so on,

all with the annoying 1-hr lease which can be problematic

for some things, and sometimes drops my connection entirely

during a download (really aggravating, really)"

I'm in Mississauga and my DHCP lease is 7 days and my IP address changes so seldom, it's virtually static.

I Plan to Stick Around

"There is nothing the home user can do other than keep their OS  service patches up to date (maybe a config change by the more savy user ..UDP port defs is about all). "

It's also possible to use 6in4 tunnelling to get an IPv6 subnet from a tunnel broker.  I've been doing that for about a year and have a /56 subnet from gogoNET.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

how come sometimes rogers ipv6 tunneling works, and other times it does not? theyre using torpedo i believe? is this right