Wireless Modem Router Problem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GraphicZero
I'm Here A Lot

Wireless Modem Router Problem

I had recently exchanged my old rogers modem that was from 2004 to a new one except, this one was a wireless modem router.. The problem is, I had bought a d-link router which is $100+ and was working perfectly fine but rogers had told me I had to renew my modem. So I get this SMC wireless router modem which dosn't want to connect with my d-link router.. Is there a way to fix this? I'm connecting the d-link router via ethernet cable into the SMC modem port 4. Please help! The wireless signal on the smc modem is bad compared to my d-link n+. 

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
GraphicZero
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Wireless Modem Router Problem: Conclusions.................please comment

I got so confused with all your content you provided that I tried again the "briding" SMC modem/router and it works now. 😛 Sorry but thanks for the help and effort!

View solution in original post

All Replies
FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Wireless Modem Router Problem

Did you put the SMC into bridge mode? This must be done before your own router will work. You can log into the SMC and do it yourself (http://www.jonocono.ca/ramblings/2010/10/03/rogers-n-gateway-smcd3gn/) or call Rogers and they will do it remotely.

GraphicZero
I'm Here A Lot

I clicked the Disable All Commercial Gateway functions and it rebooted and as it said, I cannot login into the modem. However, the d-link router that I hooks the ethernet cord into port 1 of the smc modem still dosn't work. I don't know why! 

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

the lan port of smc goes into the wan port of your d-link router, you can also connect the port 1 of your smc to your computer and see if you get a actual WAN IP on your computer such as 99.x.x.x. to confirm, if so then yes your getting a WAN IP on your SMC and your d-link is probaly not configured correctly and you woud have to fix it on your own, rogers does not provide support

GraphicZero
I'm Here A Lot

This is my d-link router - http://www.dlink.ca/products/?pid=530

And do you mean lan port? I don't know what a wan port is on this router..

skinorth
I'm an Advisor

@GraphicZero:

the "Wan" port is the grey rj45 connector on the rear of the router, next to the usb connection.

I can't see from the picture on the dlink.ca website, but this port is usually labelled "internet".

However, definitely do try the suggestion made by Pauly to connect your PC directly first.  That is the simplest and most direct way to test if things are working, and that your modem is providing an internet connection to you.  If you cannot get the direct PC connection working you have other issues and attaching your dlink router will only confuse the issue.

So try the direct PC connection first.

Once the direct PC connection is working you can more easily work on making the dlink router function properly as well.

skinorth

BrendanMurphy
I've Been Around

After you disable the wireless and enable bride mode it turns into a standard modem and you are now unable to log into it. 

GraphicZero
I'm Here A Lot

Yea but the router still doesn't connect through to the internet 😞

skinorth
I'm an Advisor

@GraphicZero:

Yeah, but did  you try to connect to the Internet first through your PC as we suggested?

Hook that PC up to the modem with an ethernet cable and try it out.  How hard is that!

It could very well tell you if your modem will allow you to connect in its current state, and then you can get on with trying to hook up the router, and eventually to wireless nirvana.

I am not 100% sure of this, as I don't use Rogers DSL, but with both both your router and your PC you will need to enter a username and password pair to log onto the DSL connection first.  If others out there can offer better and more detailed advice, please do.

The only reason we suggested using the PC first to connect is that it will eliminate a possible point of failure: the router.  But with both the PC and the router you will need to follow a routine to set up the DSL connection.  In my experience with ISP's they will often not want to help you set up your own router, but setting up your PC to connect to DSL is something they should help you do.  What after all is a basic DSL connection?

skinorth

GraphicZero
I'm Here A Lot

My PC is already connected into port 4 in SMC router...? I have internet but I want to use my d-link wireless router instead of this horrible rogers router which is **bleep**.