Wireless Internet Issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Wireless Internet Issues

I have the new Hitron advanced modem. It was working perfectly until the beginning of this week. I have multiple devices connected. 2 smartphones Samsung GS 3's, Nintendo Wii, Google Chromecast, and Samsung Galaxy Note tablet. The phones will only connect to the 5G signal. The Wii and the Chromecast will only conect to the 2.4G signal. Now the Wii can't even find the 2.4G signal at all, even if I input it manually. I want to be able to watch netflix either through the Wii or on my chromecast. The problem is that my phone and chromecast need to be on the same signal and they can't all of the sudden. And as mentioned, the Wii won't even connect to any signal. I have tried resetting the router to factory defaults and even exchanged it yesterday. Same issues. When I try to login on my phone, it says Saved Secured. When I try on my tablet, it says Authentication error, even though the password is correct. I have also tried changing the network names and passwords multiple times. 

Please help. This is very frustrating.

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Wireless Internet Issues

That one is on the 2.4, and the other is on the 5ghz.. that shouldnt make a difference for them seeing each other..  they are workign on different frequencies yes, but they will both obtain an address in the same range, and be visible to each other.

EG:  My laptop is on 2.4 only.. and my phone is normally on the 5... my phone is able to see the secondary DLNA server i have running on my laptop.

One thing you may want to consider overall.. specially since you are using a chromecast.
The CNG3 doesnt properly support MULTICASTING on its wireless.. (though it does on wired)... this can effect things like the chromecast, and other things like wireless printers, etc as well.

You best bet might be using a 3rd party router for wireless

I've Been Here Awhile

I would agree with you that I might need another wireless router if it weren't for the fact that it was working perfectly for 2 months until a few days ago. When I called Rogers, they said there was an update that was sent to the routers. I'm betting this may have caused the problem. 

Could it also be an issues with the WPS setting?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not sure.. i tend NOT to use WPS since its very insecure..

General security changes shouldnt have.  As you said you factory reset and even exchanged.. its not just a setting.
Something more on the NAT, lower level, is likely causing it.

I run with the CGN3 as a router, just with the wireless off (as i need the ports on it for better network layout), and a 3rd party router running just as an access point... and have not had an issue with things some others have complained with re: the wireless and similar devices.