Windows Vista driver for USB connection to cable modem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Windows Vista driver for USB connection to cable modem

There's a USB hub on the Scientific Atlantis cable modem. Is there a driver available so I can use this as connection to my desktop? or is it for something else? Does it have the same performance as the Ethernet hub? Thanks

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Windows Vista driver for USB connection to cable modem

I know the DSL modems, the USB used to work on them as a connection method.. as it acted really like a true MODEM with PPPOE.

But for the rogers modems, i do not beleive so (i could be wrong though).

In the end, you are better to use the network connection anyways.  Even if out of the modem is a max 100mb/s connection, you are going to get a more consistant speed from it.
While USB can technicaly go higher, its also grouped and will sway greatly based on what other usb devices are connected.

I'm an Advisor

@libra1237:

I don't know what piece of equipment you are posting about.  But just because it has a USB connection on it, I would not assume anything about its functions or usefulness to you the customer.  I know of several Rogers-provided modem/router combinations which have USB connections on them.  But on those devices the documentation for them tells us that these USB connections are basically non-functional as far as you and I the Rogers customer are concerned.

The documentation on the relevant device indicates that the USB connection really has no function currently for us the user.  If the device internally does nothing useful with the USB connection, no Windows driver will improve that situation.

Check your documentation to confirm what the USB port function is for your device.

I know, for example, that on my Ericsson W35 RocketHub the USB connection will actually function as a way to connect either shared printers or shared storage.  But I am also sure that devices from other vendors may not have any obvious useful function at all.

skinorth

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Suprisingly.. i was at my sister in laws, who has one of the older surfboard modems.. which has a USB B port on it..(the squarish-house shaped end).

She actualy has the original setup papers underneith it... one of them being, that you could connect to that modem via USB.

in these cases.. YES you could connect to the modem that way.. BUT weither their are still supported drivers for anything newer than XP is a whole other story.

Again, in the long run, connecting via network cable is your best bet overall.