cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Phone 8 Update 3 Announced

matthieugd
I Plan to Stick Around

A new update has just been announced by Microsoft on the official blog

http://blogs.windows.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2013/10/14/announcing-our-third-window...

No word yet on the release on Rogers but hopefully like Update 2 it will be sooner than later.

Happy Thanksgiving 🙂

Matthieu

***edited labels***

25 REPLIES 25

Windows Phone 8 Update 3 Announced

lumiafan
I've Been Here Awhile

Is there any word when rogers will release gdr3 for the Rogers wp8 phones?

Re: Windows Phone 8 Update 3 Announced

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello lumiafan

No word yet when they will release bit Sadly.

Dos101
I Plan to Stick Around

The update hasn't been officialy releaed yet, just a developer version is out there for developers to test with.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Dos101

Exactly so when its done with, Microsoft will release it to the carriers and then carriers will Release it to us.

JHector
I Plan to Stick Around

Updating as I write.

isadykov
I've Been Around

Are you talking about GDR3?

But I did not get yet GDR2. Every day I am checkin updates but it says "Your phone is up to date".

When Rogers will update my Lumia 920 to GDR2?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello isadykov

No one knows when Rogers will release it. You just have to wait when it pops up or someone else says its out.

GDR3 is rolling out to some selected HTC 8X devices.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/10/30/windows-phone-gdr3-update-reportedly-rolling-out-to-select-htc-8x-...

JHector
I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry, I should have stated the GDR3 update was received on my HTC 8X.  Took about 10 mins.  Some nice new features such as Driving Mode, plus Start screen seems to use more of the display (and remembers the setting).  Ringtones and sounds were temporarily lost after the update, but restored after hard reset.

Glen_B
I Plan to Stick Around

I received GDR2 some time ago.   It is GDR3 that we are waitiing almost patiently for.

matthieugd
I Plan to Stick Around

FWIW you can install the GRD3 today by creating a developer account and installing the update from MSFT. What you will not get is the update part for your device (Nokia Black for example)

http://www.technostop.net/tutorial-install-gdr3-update-windows-phone-8/

Glen_B
I Plan to Stick Around

I think I'll wait for the Rogers release which should be any time now ... I hope.

Glen_B
I Plan to Stick Around

Well here it is the middle of November and I'm still waiting for GDR 3 for my Nokia.   Rogers are you listening?

matthieugd
I Plan to Stick Around
Hello,

The GRD3 will available next week for the Lumia 1520 but for existing devices, the reportedly release date is January 2014. And since Nokia add a lot of stuff along the OS updates is got itself a name : "Nokia Black" (like the GRD2 was called Amber)

Matthieu

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello matthieugd

Can you provide a link or a source to where it says its reported coming " January 2014". This isn't for me but its for others on here that may ask for it. It does seem odd that HTC brought it out a bit time ago and Nokia will bring it out in 2 months.

Thanks! 🙂

matthieugd
I Plan to Stick Around

On wpcentral and the likes (forum). No secret here, it's in the news for quite some time (since Nokia World in Dubai last mont)

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello matthieugd

Thank you for that. Many do not know that site or search so that is why i asked for it.

Tony_YYZ
I Plan to Stick Around
I was at the Microsoft Main Campus in Canada today and got to check out a bunch of Lumia devices. They were pretty nice, Nokia makes quality devices. GDR3 is looking good as well.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Tony_YYZ

Which campus did u go to? They do have amazing phones with Nokia. The problem is that the carriers aren't really taking a good look at the and advertising them properly.

Tony_YYZ
I Plan to Stick Around

@Meowmix

I was at the main campus in Mississauga, the one that has the MTC in it. Microsoft and the carriers both do a horrible job at getting the Windows Phone presence out there. They are very capable devices, albeit with some hurdles to overcome still with things like lack of .wav file supprt (really MS?) lack of copy/paste, etc. But they are getting there.

Nokia has and currently does make amazing hardware but again, hardly anyone is aware.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Tony_YYZ

Nokia does make amazing hardware. The problem is the Microsoft just bought them so Nokia will not be running anything just Windows on it which does suck but we have no other choice.

Microsoft / Nokia & the carriers are NOT showing off the devices / Windows 8 the way it should be. The carriers focus more on Apple & Android & leave Blackberry & Windows out. Sadly i guess it takes customers to make them realize that those OS's are worth a shot.
We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 25 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 10 in conversation