Windows Phone 8 GDR3 and Nokia Bittersweet shimmer

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Windows Phone 8 GDR3 and Nokia Bittersweet shimmer

But why delay it?  In fact why are any of them not yet available?   It's not like their going to discover some major software error that AT & T missed.    I really don't understand the delay at all.   

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

This isn't iOS. Every carrier has a different version of the software. They all test it differently.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Each carrier has a different version of Black? Why on earth for?
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello rrasesma

Wrong. All carriers get the same update.. The problems lays on the carriers when they add their own bloatware on the phone and then do testing. Other then that we all get the same update just each carrier adds their own stuff.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Right. This makes the final software package different.

Adding bloatware and Rogers logos and info isn't as simple as copying and pasting. Every carrier customizes the OS at a very core level and adding one thing, even something as simple as the new Rogers section of the app store that comes with the Black update, could cause a million different things to go wrong. And so, testing.

I agree though that Rogers needs to be faster.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Or Windows needs to say no to changes to the system software.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Android is the exact same way. At least Windows doesn't have dozens of devices that are compatible with dozens of different software versions coupled with dozens of different carrier packages.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello rrasesma

But still the update is the same but just carriers add boot screens and some other stuff.

Exactly Android is the same BUT some devices like the Nexus devices and Moto X don't have bloatware like boot boot screens and carrier apps on then. Just other ones do. So Android manufacturers are getting it now.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

^ That's just not correct. No matter how minor the tweaks are it is still a seperate upgrade file. A Rogers phone cannot be upgraded to ATT's version of Black. Then they'd see the ATT app store and ATT boot screens and the like. It also cannot be updated to the plain, Microsoft/Nokia version of Black, because then there would be NO Rogers app store and NO bootscreen. Therefore, the Rogers OS is ultimately different and is tested by different people, resulting in different timeframes for release

I believe all Android phones (including Nexus and Moto X) are updated over the air and still ultimately rely on carrier approval before being updated. Although it's true that they run stock versions of Android and are therefore much less time-consuming to update, the issue with Android is that each and every Android handset has a version of Android custom-developed for that device, and as a result, lots of phones don't get updated for months after the release of the new version. This timeframe is further extended when manufacturers like Samsung and HTC install their own software and skins on top.

Bottom line: be thankful the WinPho community is so small and the device range so limited - your updates will come within weeks of release, instead of months.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello rrasesma

Even then, the carriers ONLY have a limited say or do on stock updates as they just make sure it works and its out. With other updates they add all their stuff on. So we are both right and wrong in a sense.

In the update, the update will come.. When? No one knows but soon hopefully