Windows Phone 7 Tips: Stream any format video and music to your phone from your PC

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
disolitude
I'm Here A Lot

Windows Phone 7 Tips: Stream any format video and music to your phone from your PC

This is a tip for those with massive movie, TV show or music collections that don't feel like converting everything to supported formats and using SkyDrive to stream to device.

Using an app called PLEX (http://plexapp.com/) and a dedicated media PC, you are able to crate a media server that will stream all of your media content to your Windows Phone on the fly.

How to set up:

1. Download the PLEX media server on to your PC and specify folders where the video and music content is found(has to be the beta 0.9.6 server).

2. Download the PLEX app on to your phone and register an account ($4.99)

3. Once your media library is synced on the PC, sign in with the username and password you registered on your phone. (preferences,myPlex)

4. Under the same section, publish the server to myPlex. You will need to set up and specify a forwarding port if you use a router to split your incoming internet connection to multiple machines.

5. Once server is published, write down the IP and add this IP to your phone's PLEX app as the media server.

6. All done. As long as your PC is on, and the Plex Media server is running, you should be able to connect and stream any video or music file to your phone, no matter what format it is.

I've been using this app for 3 weeks now and it works wonderful. Some bugs do appear from time to time but their forums section is great at troubleshooting the issues and updating the app. (http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/forum/110-plex-for-windows-phone-7/)

The app also has capabilities to stream flash videos off many websites which can be added as channels on the phone which is awesome.

If this sounds like something you may enjoy, definetly try it out.

******* Edit labels ********

Mayoo
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Windows Phone 7 Tips: Stream any format video and music to your phone from your PC

Did u try it on the go ? like can it stream 720p / 1080p on the road on LTE ? also the good thing about WP market place is that u can try all the paid apps for 30days i think .. pretty cool .. 

disolitude
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Windows Phone 7 Tips: Stream any format video and music to your phone from your PC

I did try it on on cellular service but I only have 3G/4G available to me. Despite that, I am able to do 360-480p with a little to no buffering. Anything higher than 480p is a waste because the screen is 480 pixels wide.

If you have 1080p videos it's not a problem as with this app you can take a 1080p video and stream it to your phone in as low as 240p if you want. Your PC converts it on the fly and sends it to your phone... Its really cool.

There is a demo but it lets you watch content for only 1 minute.

Mayoo
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks Bought it and working fine on the road ..