Windows Media Center and Rogers Set Top Box and IR Blaster

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Windows Media Center and Rogers Set Top Box and IR Blaster

I have a TV tuner in my computer that, theoretically, allows me to watch and record TV programs with Windows Media Center. However, I have never been able to get it to work with my Rogers Set Top Box - a Scientific Atlanta 3100 - supplied by Rogers in Canada.

Media Center sends commands to change channels on the STB through a special USB cable and Infra Red emitter (IR Blaster) that sticks on the front of the STB Infra Red receptor. Although I've tried training the computer to recognize the remote control codes dozens of times following the Media Center wizard instructions, the channels fail to change through the Media Center controls.This means, I can't use Media Center to schedule recordings of shows.

The training using the remote control codes is a tedious fallback option used when the Media Center cannot connect with the STB automatically. There seem to be hundreds of listed boxes cited in the Media Center wizard that will connect automatically but the Rogers box is not included.

All of this makes me suspect that it may be Rogers policy and intention to obstruct the use of computer TV tuners with their Set Top Boxes. If it's futile, would someone please tell me so I don't waste any more time.

If it can be done, please suggest a fix.

Thanks,

***Edited labels***

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Windows Media Center and Rogers Set Top Box and IR Blaster

Sadly this sort of technology is made for consumption elsewhere in the world and not in Canada. Due to lack of competition in our country the big 2 have had no reason to not lock down their networks and equipment.

That said you should be able to get something working. In the end it's just IR codes. Does the wizard mention any models that Rogers sells? Either Scientific Atlanta or Cisco ?
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the reply Chris.

I expect that's true but it would be more helpful to hear definitively from Rogers.

Between HP who sold the computer and searching for answers online, I've wasted so much time that it's beyond painful. 

Next step is Rogers support but I dread hours on the phone.

I'll let you know if I learn anything..

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Good luck with it!! I used to have something similar setup with an ir blaster. It worked for a while but then I switched to HD and there wasn't any options to record it so I got a pvr..
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Well I emailed Rogers tech support with a description of my problem and they told me to contact the computer manufacturer. That's HP so they might as well have told me to go to hell. I already spent hours chasing them for an answer on different occasions. Each time I was put on hold for ages while the techie supposedly went to his superior for answers but they never came back.

I've got the signal and I can record - I just can't change the channel with Media Center. I have a niggling feeling that it could just be the USB connector to the IR Blaster.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I have the SA 3200 in my bedroom and have had it hooked up to WMC for years and it works flawlessly.

Just followed the on-screen setup guide with WMC and it just worked without an issue.  I use it every night.  I can view and record anything (other than HD of course as it's not an HD box).  In fact, the guide and search options are miles ahead of Rogers, then again, what isn't?

Not sure if there's a difference between the capabilities of the 3100 and 3200 that is causing you problems, but for the 3200 at least, it is definitely not an issue.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I do have the Cisco Explorer 4290 Personal Video Recoder and I need the color scheme for Rogers' Interactive Program Guide also I need to show you the image of the guide.20160613_200532.jpg

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, thats the standard guide for that series of box.

What are you trying to do with it? Want to change, etc?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

No thanks, I got the channels authorized, while some were not authorized.