cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8.1 for all Lumia devices ( Lumia 920 /1020 /1520) & others.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello everyone!

As of today, Microsoft Announced Windows 8.1. For starters, the lock screen is now fully customizable to your liking. You can set a background image you like. They also added a Action center typical toggles such as WiFI, Bluetooth, Hotspot & others. They are saying that the keyboard on the new Windows 8.1 is the worlds record as the faster keyboard BUT only for virtual keyboards.

As when Microsoft is going to release 8.1 to the carriers? They said & quote " Windows Phone 8.1 will be coming to existing devices “in the next few months,” pending a final GA release from Microsoft and carrier approval."

This means most likely mid summer / end of summer or a bit later as they did say " Next few months which usally means more then 2-3 months"

This should answer all your questions on when they will release 8.1 for your Windows phones. Please post in THIS thread about Windows 8.1 on any devices. I posted Lumia 1520 on the title as some of us on here have a unlocked Lumia 1520 that we bought via online. Rogers however & same with all the Canadian carriers are NOT releasing the 1520.

Thanks.

Source :

http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/04/02/windows-phone-8-1-coming-soon-bringing-action-center-and-cortana-p...

***Edited Labels.***

94 REPLIES 94

Re: Windows 8.1 for all Lumia devices ( Lumia 920 /1020 /1520) & others.

No, the Cyan update was released to Rogers 1020 yesterday. I have the update, and actually got Cortana working. 

Still can't get the live folders to work though. 😞

TheCyberKnight
I Plan to Stick Around

You likely got Cortana running by setting your phone as a USA device since it (she) is not suported in Canada with 8.1.

As our fellow member mentioned before, you need to install Windows Phone 8.1 GDR 1 to have Cortana in Canada as an alpha version. This is also the only way to get access to the new folders.

Yes, sorry, I shouldve clarified. I did set my device to US to get Cortana. But I didn't know that the live folders had an issue as well? 

Bummer.

IainS
I Plan to Stick Around
Live Folders are only available via the Developer preview program, its not on WP8.1. Its the WP8.1 Update.

Aaaaah, that would be my confusion. Thanks for letting me know 😉

DEEP
I've Been Here Awhile

My 1020 was given the Cyan update first followed by the WP8.1 update. All went well during the updates.

About 12 hours later I noticed my Glance screen clock time was off by ~2 hours. It had in fact locked up about 2 hours previously. The wake button was ineffectual. I though it was bricked. I did not try sending a call to it, to see if that would wake up and give me access. I forced it to restart successfully instead.

So I have turned off the Glance feature and enabled double tap. I'll give it another 24 hour test before more monkeying around.

I had previously had problems with this phone repeatedly restarting and locking up but defeated that somewhat by resetting the phone to factory and daily turn-off/turn-on.

Getting a bit frustrated after almost a year.

IainS
I Plan to Stick Around
anytime I do an update I always do a hard reset after the update has been applied. If you do this make sure you backup before the hard reset, you will loose some stuff but it may help with your phone working correctly.

JimC
I've Been Here Awhile

Okay, I’m now well beyond annoyed with Rogers effort in supplying the WP 8.1 update for my Lumia 920.

There simply is no justification for the glacial pace providing this required OS update to all of the Rogers customers who have invested in the both your service and this phone. Particularly when you look at the progress of other wireless providers around the world.

So let me make this as clear as I can. Rogers; I want the WP 8.1 update for my Lumia 920 and I want it now. Get off your duff and send it out. No more delays, no more excuses!

Glen_B
I Plan to Stick Around
JimC I'm as anxious to get 8.1 on my 920 as you are but according to the Nokia site, TELUS is at the same pace as Rogers on this. I'm not trying to defend Rogers, I just saying that the problem seems to be elsewhere.

TheCyberKnight
I Plan to Stick Around

The "problem", as you say, is that Nokia hasn't released the Cyan update bits for the 920 yet. They just confirmed that it's a matter of days now.

Once released by Nokia, the carriers will let the update go out and we'll receive both Windows Phone 8.1 and the Cyan bits together.

Few hours to wait...

Boardwalk
I Plan to Stick Around

Not true.

Cyan for the 920 has been released in Croatia, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom, to name a few.

This seems to be very carrier dependant.

matthieugd
I Plan to Stick Around

Apparently the update is now available for the Lumia 920 in Canada:

http://www.wpcentral.com/lumia-cyan-update-rolling-out-lumia-920-smartphones-canada

ShinraCorp
I Plan to Stick Around

Checked, it says Update for Windows Developer Preview, which is funny since it doesn't say anything firmware related in the description.

It probably is Cyan but still.

Proud Windows Phone Ambassador, got a Windows Phone question? I can probably answer.

Corman
I Plan to Stick Around

People are reporting the update is just for the developers preview. Can anyone actually confirm that Rogers is pushing out Lumia Cyan?

ShinraCorp
I Plan to Stick Around

Yeap http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/GeneralCareSupport/thread-id/355 it is not Cyan nor 8.1

Proud Windows Phone Ambassador, got a Windows Phone question? I can probably answer.

Corman
I Plan to Stick Around
Are you saying the update was for the Developers Preview? Not Cyan?

ShinraCorp
I Plan to Stick Around
Well it makes sense since my 920 is still preforming the same after the update and it did say an Update for Windows Developer Preview instead of Nokia Firmware...

Corman
I Plan to Stick Around

You won't receive the update "Lumia Cyan" if you're enrolled in the Preview for Developers program. You have to use the Nokia Recovery Tool to get Cyan.

I'm looking for someone who's not enrolled in the DP who can confirm Rogers is pushing out Lumia Cyan to the 920. Thanks.

Corman
I Plan to Stick Around

TheCyberKnight
I Plan to Stick Around

The wait is over.

Rogers has released Windows Phone 8.1 and Cyan for the Lumia 920.

What are you doing reading this? On your phones and install...

dmistry
I've Been Here Awhile

I just bought the unlocked Lumia 1020 from the Microsoft store at Yorkdale. It's still windows 8 and no updates available.

RM-877_nam_usa_957

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats