Windows 8.1 for all Lumia devices ( Lumia 920 /1020 /1520) & others.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello everyone!

As of today, Microsoft Announced Windows 8.1. For starters, the lock screen is now fully customizable to your liking. You can set a background image you like. They also added a Action center typical toggles such as WiFI, Bluetooth, Hotspot & others. They are saying that the keyboard on the new Windows 8.1 is the worlds record as the faster keyboard BUT only for virtual keyboards.

As when Microsoft is going to release 8.1 to the carriers? They said & quote " Windows Phone 8.1 will be coming to existing devices “in the next few months,” pending a final GA release from Microsoft and carrier approval."

This means most likely mid summer / end of summer or a bit later as they did say " Next few months which usally means more then 2-3 months"

This should answer all your questions on when they will release 8.1 for your Windows phones. Please post in THIS thread about Windows 8.1 on any devices. I posted Lumia 1520 on the title as some of us on here have a unlocked Lumia 1520 that we bought via online. Rogers however & same with all the Canadian carriers are NOT releasing the 1520.

Thanks.

Source :

http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/04/02/windows-phone-8-1-coming-soon-bringing-action-center-and-cortana-p...

***Edited Labels.***

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Windows 8.1 for all Lumia devices ( Lumia 920 /1020 /1520) & others.

Hello All,

I know Rogers released GDR 3 with Nokia Black not so long ago for the Lumia 920 but anybody know if they are planning to release Windows Phone 8.1 update once available?

Thanks

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello SocietyDweller

8.1 has not even been announced. Once Nokia announces it, the carriers will need to test the update to make sure it works and what not. It may take weeks or a month or so. Depending on when they are done. Rogers wont give you a ETA if that is what your looking for.

Once the update is done via Rogers side, they will post info on the "OS Upgrade Schedule" thread. That is where the info will be.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

You can also downlaod the developer's edtion of Windows 8.1 in April if you sign up thru M/S  @ no cost to you,,It's going to be atleast end of year before the final release to the carriers and the they are gonna take their sweet time pushing it out to us,,So the option is there if you like

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello michael-r4

That is true but at the same time, developer edition should only be used by users that have knowledge & some settings in the developers edition are made for developers only. Jjust pointing that out. Other then that , OP i would say you can do what Micheal -R4 said as well!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

At the end of the keynote Stephen Elop has precised that *all* existing Nokia Lumia Windows Phone devices will be updated to Windows Phone 8.1 inlcluding the 520. And the update will take place during the summer.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Matthieugd

That's why i put "mid summer / end of summer" lol. That is correct tho. We shall see it then BUT remember carriers MAY delay it unless they really listen to customers and release it on time

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

maybe you should remove the Lumia 900 from your tittle as this will not be getting 8.1, All WP8 devices will be updated this summer.

If you want to run it before Rogers pushes this out in 4 months then make you you register for the developer preview program( no cost) and you will recieve WP8.1 on April 14th.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello lainS

When watching the announcements, Stephen Elop did says ALL existing Windows phones will be getting the 8.1 update. He never said the Lumia 900 or older Lumia's will not get it unless you see it somewhere as i do not & never heard it. ? The Lumia 900 will stay on the tittle as it should get the update as from Stephen said for all existing Windows phones. if it does not get the update or info comes out that the Lumia 900 will not get it then i will remove it.

Yes but the developers preview is a good thing but please do remember, it does have some settings that only developers should access & be aware if anything does happen when you have that update on your device, your warranty will be voided via Rogers as the devices must be running the proper OS, not developers or modified OS per say. This is a warning for new users that may come across this & may by accident do something they never meant to do or touch.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Its not possible for the 900 to run anything other than 7.8, Trust me on this.

I am a Windows Phone Developer, and going thru the sdk and emulator wp8.1 is just amazing.

I dont use a Rogers Phone as my developer device.

The Developer preview that MS releases under this program is the final RTM build of Wp8.1. Only thing you dont get at this point would be the Nokia Cyan update that will come later in the year. But yes is does void your warranty.

I will add also if anyone who has a wp device that is bricked or not working, you can get in touch with me here to get you up and running again.