Windows 8.1 crashes RocketHub 3G25W-R wifi

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Windows 8.1 crashes RocketHub 3G25W-R wifi

I've had a Rocket Hub 3G25W-R for quite a while and it has been working fine.  The other day my wife got a new laptop (with windows 8.1) and the oddest thing started happening

The laptop can see the wifi network and I can try to connect.  After I enter the security code it says it can't connect  - every once in a while it will say "limited" connection for a few minutes before it says the network can't be found.  

Here's the weird bit: after the laptop tries to connect any other device using WIFI looses connection as well.  To get it back I have to reboot the Rocket Hub router.

The laptop seems to be fine when hooked up through a wired connection and the wifi crash doesn't seem to effect any other pc's connected by wire (they are running windows 7).

Laptop company's support told us to return the machine (after trying a bunch of things).  When we did, the store tried it with their wifi and it worked fine.  However they did excahnge the laptop for another one.  Its doing the same thing!

I don't see anthing odd while watching the router's web console. But the windows 8.1 machine must be doing something to the router.

Any thoughts?  This is starting to drive me nuts.

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Windows 8.1 crashes RocketHub 3G25W-R wifi

Found it!!!!

After trying your suggestions, I monkeyed around a bit with the other settings.  I started to think about how the adapter could possibly mess up the router which got me thinking about the WLAN Channel.  It was set to auto, so I tried channel 5 and it started working.

It may not be what you suggested, but without your ideas I wouldn't have found the problem.  Thanks very much!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

May not even be specifically 8.1 that is the issue.. more possibly the specific wireless card, etc thats in the laptop..

Ocassionaly i have seen that with specific cards/router combinations.. 
(my inlaws OLD laptop, was wireless G only.. my linksys router, was set up for B/G/N.. should have been able to do ANY of them.  Nope, just wouldnt connect to it.  Connected to my OLD dlink fine though.)

While not 100% familiar with the interface for the Rockethub.. I do know my wireless settings pretty well.

Are you able to POST (image link to screenshot, cut and past, or just re type), what the wireless settings you have set up on it are?

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the help.  I made a presumption that it was Windows 8 because  Windows 7, Mac, iOS and Android devices didn't have a problem.  But, as you say that may be a false assumption.

As you mentioned the B/G/N mixed mode is set

I tried to add a screen shot but I don't seem to have permissions to do that.  Here is the info from the Wireless LAN Settings page:

• Wireless LAN Access Point:  Enabled
  • WLAN Network Name (SSID):  {name of my network}
  • SSID Broadcast: Enabled
  • WLAN Channel:  Auto
  • Wireless Mode: B/G/N mixed
  • Authentication: WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK
  • Encryption: TKIP/AES
  • Preshare key:  {my security key}

And from the status page:

• Link Status: Connected
  • Signal Strength:  -87dBm
  • Network Name: ROGERS
  • Technology Status: HSPA
  • SIM Status: SIM Inserted

Thanks again

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, there are a few things you can TRY.

This is if, you dont have any really OLD legacy devices.. turning off what i sugest, might not allow some much older stuff from connecting.
But should help with potentially newer stuff connecting.

If you dont need any B only devices, drop off the B on wireless mode, and be G/N only.

Same goes for authentication.. put it to WPA2... unless something is old enough that it doesnt support WPA2, the is the most secure anyways.

Lastly, is where i think might MOST fix it though.  TKIP was great for some old stuff.. but i have found at least one device, which would not connect while TKIP was on.
Putting on AES only, it worked fine.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the suggestions.  I tried each one alone, and then all together.  Unfortunatley it didn't help.

I can understand that if the settings weren't right it wouldn't connect to the router.  But the odd thing is that it does try to connect, but when it does it messes up the router.  Once that machine tries to connect, no other wifi devices can connect until I reboot the router.   Its like that adapter is changing some setting on the router.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Found it!!!!

After trying your suggestions, I monkeyed around a bit with the other settings.  I started to think about how the adapter could possibly mess up the router which got me thinking about the WLAN Channel.  It was set to auto, so I tried channel 5 and it started working.

It may not be what you suggested, but without your ideas I wouldn't have found the problem.  Thanks very much!

View solution in original post