Windows 8.1 Developer - issues with the update - Lumia 920

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Windows 8.1 Developer - issues with the update - Lumia 920

Hello!

So I attempted to get the Windows 8.1 developer updates on my phone. I became a developer, downloaded the app on my phone, did the first update with no problem and when my phone attempts to do the 2nd update I keep getting an error that tells me that its probably a temporary problem and to try again. I tried for two days straight even doing hard resets to try to get it to work and nothing worked and kept getting the error. Even tried applying it after doing a factory reset using the nokia software recovery tool and that didn't work either.

I was wondering if anyone else had this issue and how they fixed it? If they fixed it.

Thanks!

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Windows 8.1 Developer - issues with the update - Lumia 920

Update!

I decided to bite the bullet and attempt the developer preview again. It worked! I got both updates and they downloaded and installed without any issue.

If you are thinking of getting the developer preview things may go perfectly, but you may get the 0x80188308 error which will basically tell you there was a temporary error and you should try again later. From the research I have done this error is from a partition where the updates are being saved to not having enough space. Well I got that error for two days straight and I was using a phone that was in between updates and it wasn't performing well at all. So the only option for me was to download the Nokia Recovry Software found here http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/mobile/support/faq/?action=singleTopic&topic=FA142987 and do a factory reinstall of the OS. WARNING this will completely wipe your phone of all your data! I did that a couple of weeks ago and today decided to give it another try and it worked flawlessly!

I've also heard that downloading a new keyboard language onto the device may help the update go through. I don't know how or why, just something I tried (didn't work for me) after something on a forum.

Anwyays got the OS update without any problem today!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @RogersAsif do you think you could take a look at this if possible? Maybe you have an idea for a fix? Thanks!

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @brandonjbarnard !!

I don't really know anyone who is suscribed to Developer updates for the Lumia. I am having a look at your post and it seems you've done the right troubleshooting. It does not seem to be your device acting up as you said you did a factory reset and tested it with the same results. These updates could be server based so Nokia/Microsoft therefore it is possible that they are having issues on their end. Have you tried speaking to Nokia/Microsoft about this? Not sure if they have a developer hotline or anything. Did some research and it leads me to this page where you can provide feedback http://developer.nokia.com/contact. I know they have chat support for their products http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/mobile/support/contact/ Scroll down and you will see Launch Live Chat.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Thank you for the link! I tried the live chat. Person was very polite, however they couldn't do much for me. They did however give me a link to a developers forum. Thanks for the links!

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=wpprevdev
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

No problem @brandonjbarnard !!

And nice ! I'd post the question on there aswell hopefully you get a solution to the problem. Let the community know if you ever got the issue resolved incase someone else ever stumbles upon the same problem Smiley Happy

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

First off is your device updated to Cyan ? This is so important ,,You may need to disable Windows 8.1 Developer and further check for any updates for Windows 8.1 then enable Preview For Developers and see if that helps,,,I"m running Windows 8.1 Developer on my Nokia 920 with zero issues

Highlighted

Update!

I decided to bite the bullet and attempt the developer preview again. It worked! I got both updates and they downloaded and installed without any issue.

If you are thinking of getting the developer preview things may go perfectly, but you may get the 0x80188308 error which will basically tell you there was a temporary error and you should try again later. From the research I have done this error is from a partition where the updates are being saved to not having enough space. Well I got that error for two days straight and I was using a phone that was in between updates and it wasn't performing well at all. So the only option for me was to download the Nokia Recovry Software found here http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/mobile/support/faq/?action=singleTopic&topic=FA142987 and do a factory reinstall of the OS. WARNING this will completely wipe your phone of all your data! I did that a couple of weeks ago and today decided to give it another try and it worked flawlessly!

I've also heard that downloading a new keyboard language onto the device may help the update go through. I don't know how or why, just something I tried (didn't work for me) after something on a forum.

Anwyays got the OS update without any problem today!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Glad you got the issue resolved @brandonjbarnard ! Thanks for providing the solution to the community as well Smiley Happy

Highlighted

You're welcome! I'm always around if anyone has any questions.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

To those who install the Dev Preview, can you update all the way to 8.1u1 (8.10.12400.899)?  

Any glitches or bugs or functions missing?  

thanks