Will we lose Speed, or its replacement, Fox Sports 1?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Will we lose Speed, or its replacement, Fox Sports 1?

It's official now that next Sunday's Wind Tunnel on Speed will be the last episode ever, because Speed will be replaced by Fox Sports 1. But will Rogers subscribers now receiving Speed get Fox Sports 1, or will we lose yet another channel and have to purchase it as part of another package? Any Rogers insiders here know anything?

***Edited labels***

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Will we lose Speed, or its replacement, Fox Sports 1?

There is actually a more up to date thread on this here

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

The short of it.
- Speed, while not removing ALL of its content.. a good 1/2 or more of it has been moved away from the channel as a whole by the channel owner fox, to fox sports 1. (which is not available in canada, it is not CRTC approved at this time).

- Both bell and Rogers, are droping Speed... shaw, etc likely not far behind?

- our understanding is, that rogers/bell, likely have asked to then pay LESS for the channel, since they are receiving less content on it... which hasnt happened.. so they are deciding to drop it instead.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

Chan 999 may have accidentally leaked an answer recently.  Anotjer board said that Sportsnews was advertising the arrival of Rogers-owned MLB network by accident......

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

As I posted in another thread, our "Speed" will be a pale shadow ofits former self.

http://canadiansportsfan.wordpress.com/2013/08/06/what-speed-becomes-in-canada-on-august-17th/

markemark
I've Been Around

Dump Speed Channel, Fox 1 Sports has the races etc and more sports like NCAA football.  Bell and Rogers own the two major Sports channel networks in Canada.Plus Rogers owns the score now,time for some new sports channels in Canada and stop the Monopoly .  Rogers has the rights to their FOX channel FX,so why not bring in FOX Sports 1.  

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

@markemark wrote:

Dump Speed Channel, Fox 1 Sports has the races etc and more sports like NCAA football.  Bell and Rogers own the two major Sports channel networks in Canada.Plus Rogers owns the score now,time for some new sports channels in Canada and stop the Monopoly .  Rogers has the rights to their FOX channel FX,so why not bring in FOX Sports 1.  

1. Rogers has no rights to FS1 and, more importantly, FS1 has no rights no broadcast in Canada.  Even if Rogers wanted to bring in a competitor to its own sports netwrok, the CRTC won't allow it, as they generally don't allow US specialty channels that directly compete with Canadian ones.  The same reasons why ESPN isn't carried up here...

2. The vast majority of stuff that FS 1 is showing would be blacked out anyway, as TSN or Sportsnet already own the Canadian rights to those sports.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@markemark wrote:

I disagree. There is an overabundance of generic sports channels (i.e. mostly stick-and-ball) already. Most motorsports enthusiasts have little use for wrestling, golf, football and all that other stuff watched by The Great Unwashed. I would hate to have any motorsports event, get preempted by a stick-and-ball broadcast.

DION
I've Been Around

I dont know why Rogers dumped Speed Channel? Ive been a Rogers customer for many years, but deleting Speed Channel is a bad move. Seems like they do whatever yhey want at Rogers. Im not impressed lately. Lets make some noise on this issue!

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There is actually a more up to date thread on this here

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

The short of it.
- Speed, while not removing ALL of its content.. a good 1/2 or more of it has been moved away from the channel as a whole by the channel owner fox, to fox sports 1. (which is not available in canada, it is not CRTC approved at this time).

- Both bell and Rogers, are droping Speed... shaw, etc likely not far behind?

- our understanding is, that rogers/bell, likely have asked to then pay LESS for the channel, since they are receiving less content on it... which hasnt happened.. so they are deciding to drop it instead.

View solution in original post