Will the new Hiton Router be better for me ?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Will the new Hiton Router be better for me ?

Well I had an SMC which was by far the best router Rogers has ever given me. I could pickup wi-fi all the way down in the parking lot of my building on the other side from that thing and it was blasing fast.

But when I upgraded to a bundle, they told me to return that router and that they give me a new and "BETTER" one. I got this small paper weight cisco DPC3825 that can bearly give me a single inside my apartment. On top of that it has slow speeds, even with full bars, it has no options or idea how to give piority to devices or even share bandwidth between devices evenly. It complete garbage, I can't even rent a movie on my apple TV and watch it without this router dropping the single after 10 - 15 mins.

So if I take this router back to rogers and ask for another one up from it, which is the hiton I think it called. is that any better for the extra dollar ?

If I could I go back to my SMC but they won't allow me to even rent that one at all.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Will the new Hiton Router be better for me ?

Truthfuly?

All 3 are garbage in general, for the wireless.  Some people have found the hitron OK, many have not.

Your best bet?  Obtain a 3rd party router of your own, and either set it up in bridged mode or as an access point.  These devices will give you much better range that ANY of the gatways.

Interesting that they wont let you rent the SMC anymore.. they are still listing it on the site (they dont list the cisco anymore), along with the hitron. They do seem to be pushing the hitron most of the time now though.. probably not many of the others around anymore.

I Plan to Stick Around

Ya I not sure why, but the SMC had to be returned. I asked if I could switch back as it only costed $7 a month which is the same price as this one. But hey told me no.

SMC one may be garbage but it was way better then this one. The SMC had more range, i never lose wi-fi like I do with this one, as I said this one drops my apple tv and sometimes netflix evey 10 - 15 mins. I also had a better internet rate on the LAN ports of the SMC and data control was alot better where this one doesn't know how to share network speeds with other devices.

Having to buy a good router is a pain as I wont go cheap and that means costly. On top of that I still have to pay a rental fee for this paper wight. Being on the plan I am on 30 MBps download, 10 MBps Upload, and 500 GB of bandwidth. Would they allow me to rent out their cheap modem ?

Or better yet, I got an old Rogers Modem in my room somewhere, and thats what it is too, a modem only from the year 2000. Back when it used to be run runner. Think that still be able to hold my speeds I got ?, if so then I could cancel the rental  of this router, invest in a router and then problem solved.

I'm a Senior Advisor

You will not be able to go back to your old D2 modem. Rogers will no longer provision the D2 modems. Once you switch to one of their POS D3 modems, you are stuck - no two ways about it. Your only real solution is to have the Hitron placed in bridge mode and go out and get your own router. And yes the rental fee for a paper weight is costly considering only half of the paper weight actually works! It really is sad what this company has become - no longer cares whether people have a proper functioning modem!

I Plan to Stick Around

So even tho I own that modem from back then as we were not renting it, they wont allow me to use it ?

Well anyone got any idea of a router I should go with for my paper wight ?

was looking at ASUS RT-N66U.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Based on this, I do not think you could go wrong with that router!

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-wireless-routers/

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That one is a great router, i know a few using it right now.

The Cisco/linksys E series ones are pretty good ones.  Myself (and i beleive IHR) are using the E2500. 
Its a great router (but it only has 10/100 wired ports).

going up to the.. i think its 3500 and 4500, you gain gigabit ports, and some extra functionality as USB ports for media streaming, etc.

I Plan to Stick Around

Ok, just ordered it from amazon for a few bucks cheaper as it's on sale over there for 162.99 instead of being on sale at ncix for 169.99. Plus I got the free ground shipping and airmiles. I think I will be happy with it, but at the same time I am mad about having to drop $200 on a router when I shouldn't have too. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Elochai wrote:

I think I will be happy with it, but at the same time I am mad about having to drop $200 on a router when I shouldn't have too. 

Exactly! I have been making that same point for at least two years now! It galls me that Rogers has the audacity to promote these modems as: 

• Our furthest reaching Wi-Fi modem, delivering maximum signal strength anywhere in the home
  • Virtually NO dead zones in the home

Customers expect that Rogers will deliver what they promise and then find themselves totally frustrated when they get poor range and dropped connections. Not only does Rogers charge more for the D3 modem but customers discover they still need their own router. Rogers needs to make this right. So far, they have not!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

THe issue is that those are such blanket statements.. and not necessarily LYING.. thats how they get away with it 😞

Longest reaching - from some of the reviews i have seen on it, it actualy DOES rate better than many other gateways.  Its still WORSE than a 3rd party one.. but its not lying that its the furthest reaching

Reaches all corners of the home - Doesnt say the SIZE of the home.  A 2 bedroom apartment, 1000sq ft house.. it MIGHT.  Again, so its not lying 😛

DONT take this as defending them.. just explaining likely HOW they get away with it 😛
I do agree, a stand alone modem DOES need to be an option.  Is it for everyone? No, there are some users which likely can be fine with a gateway.. but they need to give the OPTION for either.