Will the Nexus Prime or Galaxy Nexus come to Rogers?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Will the Nexus Prime or Galaxy Nexus come to Rogers?

A) probably not
B) weDon't care about the iPhone 4S in this thread
C) The Galaxy SII will most likely have a locked boot-loader and pre-installed apps just like every other Galaxy SII in the world
If you don't like locked boot-loader and 'crapware', just take the Galaxy Nexus instead of the the Galaxy SII.
This thread is about the Galaxy Nexus, not the Galaxy SII.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

@ Matthieu. He has a right to ask he that if he wants too. Yes it's a thread for something else but also in the thread for the sgs2 lte you will see posts on this phone and others. So calm ur self. I have yet seen any Rogers rep come in and even help them out on the other thread. I thought the hole point of having Rogers reps here has for help. I guess that what I read before was true. Te community helps each other out and Rogers reps don't. Anyways yea the Samsung galaxy nexus will come but we do not know any date. Every rep has their own date to say or say nothing about it.
I Plan to Stick Around

@Meowmix, I don't think that Rogers "doesn't help", or even doesn't want to help. My interpretation of the situation is that they have to be super-careful with what they say, because they know we'll amplify their words in the various forums/websites. So when someone asks a really GOOD question, but which happens to have negative connotations, then they really can't answer that one without people throwing it back in their faces. I have come to think of my questions as semi-rhetorical because if I'm asking about something that frustrates me, it's likely because it's because Rogers is handling it poorly. And if they *know* they're handling it poorly, then it probably means they think they can't do much about it. For this thread: I'm very frustrated by the lack of communication about the SGS2 vs. Nexus. Would I like them to be more forthcoming with information? Oh YES PLEASE. I think it's the #1 thing Rogers could do to improve customer relations. They're so close: They have the reps who interact with customers in forums and on Twitter. Now all they have to do is make use of those reps to communicate with us instead of echoing platitudes. Dial it up a bit.
I Plan to Stick Around

If the S2 LTE is being release by Rogers, and the worldwide release is supposed to be in November... Wouldn't that mean that Rogers won't be getting it. Perhaps Bell will be seeing as Telus just got their new S2 Hercules, and Bell has had the S 2 for so long now. I'd think Bell would be getting the Nexus. If so and they got an LTE Nexus. Would Bells version work on Rogers GSM and LTE?

I'm a Reliable Contributor

It seems to me that the Galaxy Nexus is going to be the phone for iPhone users... the consumer version if you will.

The focus seems to be on "easy" over technical.

Thre camera is 5MP so that the time between clicks can be shorter.  The OS is written from scratch and easier.  The lack of an SD card slot is very iPhone,, less choices means simpler.  The updates coming from Google directly is a blessing for the non-tech.  It is very much like the updates iPhone users get.   Not from Rogers... direct from Apple.

Don't get me wrong this phone blows the iPhone 4S right out of the water.  The screen is bigger and brighter, the speed is higher, the Cloud service is light years ahead.

HOWEVER the Galaxy S II is all that and more.  You can count on it getting ICS, you will not only use the SD card, but you will use the USB dongle as well.  The techy wants the most Mega pixels on the camera, they want the bragging rights.  never mind that the difference is negligable...  8 is more than 5....   Like the 11 on Spinal Tap.... "It's higher".

Despite the Nexus phone being a Samsung phone, it really is designed to be the Google/Android flag ship.  This is the phone they are going to aim at EVERYBODY who wants a great smartphone.

With that said, I think I am the geek, and that I will regret not having LTE (although they don't offer in here in Winnipeg, yet.) I will regret not having the SD card, and I will regret not having the better (Gorilla Glass Corning) screen.

I am going to get the Galaxy S II!   That's it... that is my decision.... until I watch that Hong Kong release video....

@moman wrote:

I'd think Bell would be getting the Nexus. If so and they got an LTE Nexus. Would Bells version work on Rogers GSM and LTE?

On Rogers GSM: YES

On Rogers LTE: maybe.

I Plan to Stick Around

@BuckMacklin wrote:

It seems to me that the Galaxy Nexus is going to be the phone for iPhone users... the consumer version if you will.

The focus seems to be on "easy" over technical.

Thre camera is 5MP so that the time between clicks can be shorter.  The OS is written from scratch and easier.  The lack of an SD card slot is very iPhone,, less choices means simpler.  The updates coming from Google directly is a blessing for the non-tech.  It is very much like the updates iPhone users get.   Not from Rogers... direct from Apple.

Don't get me wrong this phone blows the iPhone 4S right out of the water.  The screen is bigger and brighter, the speed is higher, the Cloud service is light years ahead.

HOWEVER the Galaxy S II is all that and more.  You can count on it getting ICS, you will not only use the SD card, but you will use the USB dongle as well.  The techy wants the most Mega pixels on the camera, they want the bragging rights.  never mind that the difference is negligable...  8 is more than 5....   Like the 11 on Spinal Tap.... "It's higher".

Despite the Nexus phone being a Samsung phone, it really is designed to be the Google/Android flag ship.  This is the phone they are going to aim at EVERYBODY who wants a great smartphone.

With that said, I think I am the geek, and that I will regret not having LTE (although they don't offer in here in Winnipeg, yet.) I will regret not having the SD card, and I will regret not having the better (Gorilla Glass Corning) screen.

I am going to get the Galaxy S II!   That's it... that is my decision.... until I watch that Hong Kong release video....

Like you I'm waffling.  Lately I keep thinking about the fixed buttons on the GS II and what happens with ICS.  Will you be looking at two sets of buttons all the time (fixed and on-screen)?  That would drive me nuts.  Will there be an option to shut off the on-screen buttons if you're running a fixed button device?

Do I just wait for the SGSII HD LTE or the SGSIII and see if it's resolved there?  But then there is the issue of the direct updates from Google and that seems to be where I always come back to the Nexus.  

I don't agree that getting updates direct from Google is for the non-tech.  There have been issues in the past that a non-tech wouldn't have put up with.  Techies put up with it to have the latest and greatest, warts and all. I'd like removeable storage - can't understand why it's missing (Nexus One has it) - but, given enough internal storage, it won't be an issue.

Today I read that, for the first time since its release, my Nexus One won't be getting the latest OS from Google.  It MUST be time for an upgrade.

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm a big camera guy, but don't care about the difference between 8MP and 5MP on the camera. More pixels don't matter. The speed I *do* care about. And the lens. Samsung claims this camera is better than most phones' 8MB cameras. Fingers crossed.

But, on the Nexus...

I Plan to Stick Around

@Mathieu wrote:
Rogers is certainly not going to reveal such news to the world here.

What's almost 100% sure is that the Nexus Prime will be available unlocked and will work on the Rogers network.

(the name is not going to be the Galaxy Nexus, it's going to be the Nexus something, probably the Nexus Prime as rumored).

Looks like it turned out to be the Galaxy Nexus afterall. 😉

Highlighted

KG2011 wrote:

Looks like it turned out to be the Galaxy Nexus afterall. 😉

Yes. Indeed. And I'm really disapointed!

I'm still going to call it the Nexus Prime since it's the name everyone used for months.

(as it turns out, CyanogenMod team is responsible for this false rumor ;))