Will Rogers support iOS Personal Hotspots?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Will Rogers support iOS Personal Hotspots?

As announced yesterday by Verizon in the US, and as seen by many in today's iOS 4.3 beta release, iOS will soon support a personal hotspot feature allowing the phone to create a wifi hotspot to share its internet connection with other devices.  Effectively, this is a wireless version of the tethering feature that Rogers already provides with our plans.  Will Rogers also support Personal Hotspots?  

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Will Rogers support iOS Personal Hotspots?

God I hope so.. and I hope they don't charge anymore than I'm already paying..

From reports it seems that in the beta release of IOS4.3 it is working just fine on Rogers and Fido.. But again this is just the beta release and things can change.. Really Rogers probably just heard about it yesterday when we all did..
Community Manager (Retired) RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

@community

Exciting news for sure.

We'd love to have this officially available in Canada but that's up to Apple to make it available on a Canadian device.

Samsung Galaxy S, Palm Pre II and the Samsung Galaxy Tab all have WiFi HotSpot enabled.

Thanks

Rogers Employee WiseD
Rogers Employee

Also the Samsung Wave ( On the BADA operating system) has Wifi Hotspot enabled. 🙂

Community Manager (Retired) RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

Thanks WiseD!

I'm a Senior Advisor

True and anyone with an Android phone with the latest or 2nd latest version also has this... So there is hope that it will be free with an ios update.

I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersErin, based on the phones you mentioned, would you expect that this feature would be included in the existing free tethering arrangement that we have?

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm a registered member of the Apple Development Network and have installed IOS Beta 4.3 on my iPhone 3GS.  I get a pop-up message stating that I need to contact Rogers to have the Personal Hotspot feature enabled.  I gave Rogers a call and they said that this feature is not currently supported but they are working on it.  I noticed on the web that people managed to get this feature working on their Rogers iPhone.  Not sure how they did it.  Jailbreaking?

I've Been Here Awhile

If personal hotspots are enabled in Canada (which, if Rogers wants to stay competitive, they should support) from the perspective of the carrier, an iPhone personal wifi hotspot is no different from USB or Bluetooth tethering. It only requires a software update to be enabled. We already pay good money to have a good network: let us use it!

I've Been Here Awhile

You need a data plan that at least allows tethering under the old OS.  But even if you did have a plan that allows tethering, the 3Gs seems to be limited to Bluetooth and USB "Personal Hotspots", which is exactly the same as tethering to begin with.  That was my experience on my 3Gs.  But, on the iPhone 4, WiFi Personal Hotspots are enabled.

Just one way Apple is helping us come to the realization that we really don't need money for things other than a new iPhone!

Hope that helps.

Now on PPV
BARE KNUCKLE FC 9: LOBOV VS. KNIGHT 2
LIVE: Saturday, November 16, 2019 9PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $39.99 (HD) | $39.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $39.99
DTV & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship returns with BKFC 9, featuring the rematch of April’s “The Fight of the Year” between former UFC star Artem Lobov and Jason Knight.

Topic Stats
  • 30 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 14 in conversation