Will Rogers Unlock My Lumia 1020 that is locked to Rogers?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Will Rogers Unlock My Lumia 1020 that is locked to Rogers?

You may not have correctly understood how to unlock with a code you purchased online,, I have never had any problems unlocking a carrier locked device,,You cannot use a Rogers sims card to unlock your device,,,It must be another carrier sims like Telus or who ever your provider is,,If you follow the steps correctly it will unlock..Any problems there are lots of online sites with steop bt step instructions,,,Plz make sure you purchase from a Canadian unlocking online service,,,Google it that way and you will find a reputable site that wont charge you an arm or a leg,,,lol

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

You get your point across alright, but it doesn't change my opinion.  If you want to go through the "official" route of unlocking with Rogers, I would escalate further up to Rogers food chain and that your device is "unsubsidized" based on the definition of Wireless Code [F(1)], and that you should be eligible for immediate unlock.

Otherwise, you can either 1) got through the "unofficial" route, or 2) contact your Microsoft DVLUP account rep to see if they have any means of unlocking for you.

BTW - you should have gone with getting the "cute animal" company instead; both models are the same, and "cute animal" corp charges only $35 instead of $50 for official unlocking.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello rgl168

While Telus ( cute animal company) has a $35 charge, they still have the 90 day waiting period. The CRTC made the 90 days not the carriers. So mu guess would be they would have done the same as well. Even if u got the device full price from Microsoft or somewhere else, it doesn't count so Rogers and all carriers would make u wait the 90 days to get it unlocked via them.

That's how i have seen it and know it.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Meomix:

The Wireless Code clearly states that 90-day period applies to subsidized devices.  For unsubsidized devices, there is no 90-day period.

A phone, given outright to a customer (regardless of the actual monetary value exchanged as part of the "consideration") without contractual obligation is - IMO - an unsubsidized device.  If the carriers are making you wait for 90-days for an unsubsidized device, it is clearly a violation of the Wireless Code.

The term "subsidized device" is clearly stated in the Wireless Code:

Subsidized device: A wireless device that is sold to a customer by a service provider at a reduced price as part of a contract. A wireless device that is (i) purchased by the customer at full price; or (ii) not purchased as part of the contract is not a subsidized device.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

What about if I pay full price to buy it from Rogers store, will I be able to get it unlocked right away?

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello hardywang

Yes u will be able to get it unlocked right away but u also need to pay $50 for the unlocking to be done.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Is there any other unlock service to recommend?

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello hardywang

Unfortunately we can't post any links or website names as the rules state but if u look online via Google you can find many that do it or go into your local cellphone store and then can do it for u for a price.
Highlighted
I've Been Around

I spent almost 4 hours going around asking If I can get the nokia 1020 unlocked if I pay full price ( $600 plus tax)

All of the sellers I have met said that I have to wait 90 days before I can get my phone unlocked even if I pay for it upfront.

However, CRTC clearly stated that I can get it unlock if I pay in full.

So can I get the phone unlocked or not?

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello nguyen_ming

If you go into a Rogers location and buy the Lumia 1020 outright ($600 plus tax) they imminently have to unlock it if the customer asks for it. You will need to pay a $50 unlocking fee tho for them to unlock it.

If they refuse to do it, bring them to their online Rogers page and CRTC page. Also ask for a store manager if the normal in store CRS gives u any issues.

The ONLY time you have to wait 90 days is if you buy the device on a contract. Basically getting the device on a discount price but getting a 2 year term.