Wifi problem with DPC3825 and Linksys WRT54G router

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Wifi problem with DPC3825 and Linksys WRT54G router

Hi,

I'm having problems connecting to my wifi.  I have a CISCO DPC3825 and decided to hook up my Linksys WRT54G router because the wifi signal of the DPC was terribly weak.  Here is my config:

• ethernet cable in port1 (DPC) to WAN port (Linksys)
  • ethernet cable from my port1 (Linksys) to my current computer - YES internet connection
  • sister's desktop with linksys wireless adapter - NO internet connection... why?

Under DPC3825 settings, I left DHPC "ON", "Bridged" mode, Firewall "OFF".

Under Linksys WRT54G settings, I have DHCP "OFF".  I didn't touch the other settings, except add in WPA2-Personal security for the wifi.  

I have wired connectivity but no wifi connectivity.  I've tried connecting using an iPhone, android, and wifi on my computer but have had no luck connecting.  If someone could lead me in the right direction that'd be nice!

-Thx.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Wifi problem with DPC3825 and Linksys WRT54G router

I forget to add this message I got when Windows 7 was diagnosing:

"Wireless Network Connection doesn't have Valid IP Configuration"

Not sure if that will help but worth a shot!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I THink i see your issue.

When you have the cisco gateway in bridged mode, it turns pretty much EVERYTHING off, and acts just like the old modems did.

So because of this, on your wireless router, you need to have DHCP turned ON 

I'm Here A Lot

Hey, that seem'd to do the trick.  I can't believe it was that simple.  I read on quite a few forums to turn DHCP ON on the DCP and OFF on the Linksys.  I guess it doesn't work for my configuration.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You would only want to do that, if you are leaving the gateway ON as the router, and essentialy using the other router, as a wireless access point.

I actualy have that setup myself.. as for wiring confirguations, saves me, two extra 50-75 ft runs.