Wifi disconnect on cellphones

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Wifi disconnect on cellphones

Hey Guys,

I have Rogers ignite 250u, CGN3 running in Bridge Mode, connected through Netgear R6250 (gigabit router). I have been experiencing constant disconnection on 2 cell phones in the house, running on the wifi. I have tried both 2.4 / 5G wifi connections, it connects and stays connected i can see the wifi signals, but it disconnects intermittently.

Under Netgear R6250, advanced settings > setup > LAN, i have reserved the ips for these phones as well, still no luck.

PS. wifi link speed is usually between 5mbps - 10 mbps, whereas i'm on ignite 250u, it should be far greater.

Any help would be appreciated.

***Edited Labels***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Wifi disconnect on cellphones

Do you have anything connected via ethernet and if so do you notice any problems with those devices disconnecting?

I assume that this isn't a new problem, or did it start with the 250u service?

Do you have anything else connected via wifi and if so, do they exhibit the same problem?

If you look at the back of the CGN3, the connected port LED should be amber.  That is the port that is connected to the Netgear router.  Can you confirm the LED colour?

Other that the ethernet connection that leaves the cable feed and the wifi environment.  To check the cable signals, you would have to kick the CGN3 back into Gateway mode by pressing the recessed reset button at the back of the modem for 30 seconds and then releasing it.  That will initiate the reboot back into Gateway mode.  After the reboot, both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz wifi LEDs at the front of the modem should be lit, indicating that both networks are active and transmitting.  At the back of the modem are the network names and passphrases.  You can log into the modem using either network or via ethernet.  to log into the modem use the address 192.168.0.1 in your web browser to bring up the login page.  cusadmin and password are the login credentials.  On the STATUS....DOCSIS WAN page are the downstream and upstream tables.  Please copy those tables and paste them into this thread.  They contain the downstream and upstream signal levels and can be easily checked once pasted in.

That leaves the wifi environment.  To check that you would have to load something like inSSIDer on a laptop (dual band if able) so that you can see who else has a router running nearby that could be causing interference.  Here is a link to the last freebie version of inSSIDer.  This doesn't do 802.11ac, which is becoming common these days, so my personal opinion is that its worth buying the next version for the $20 that it costs.  You don't need an 802.11ac capable laptop as the program can read the headers from the 802.11ac transmissions and display the data. 

If you can, load inSSIDer on a laptop and then bring up the network display.  That will show in list form and graphically, the other routers that are running nearby.  If you can post an image somewhere, we can have a look at it to see if there are issues with the wifi environment:

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

Here is the link to Metageek and the latest version (802.11ac capable) of inSSIDer

http://www.inssider.com/inssider4/

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

No problem with any device connected via ethernet, i have my pc, bluray player, and tv connected directly.

It's not a new problem, this problem existed when i was on 150/15 package. 

LED color behind the modem is amber, it was blinking yellow earlier, but i got Netgear R6250 (gigabit router) and it fixed this problem. 

I'll post the downstream and upstream tables and an inSSIDer image later today.

I beleive, the problem is with the router settings or wifi environment. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would guess the wifi environment.

That you can get the speeds on WIRED.. means the modem is working for the speeds it needs.

Even going with some things.. that there are MINIMUMS set up.. you SHOULD be getting speeds faster than that.
(EG, poor wireless receivers in the end devices.. might limit an N connection to only 150 instead of maybe 300, etc)

On your netgear.. what are the wireless settings you have set up?

Connection type? (b/g/n, N only, etc)
Security type? (WEP, WPA, etc)

Encryption type?  (AES, Tkip, both)

And a major thing, would be like datalink sugested.. would be to try INSSIDER if you can.. find out if there is any other interfearance from other wifi nearby.
Things NOT listed on inSSIDer tho, which can effect it.
- Metal - eg a major I Beam between you and the router, etc or near the router

- Anything potentially on the same frequency range:  Cordless phones/bases, microwaves, etc.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Frequent connection disconnect could be related to the inability of your cellphones' wireless adapters to correctly read wireless channel from the router or poor ability of the router to select appropriate channel. What happens is while router is trying to switch channels wireless adapter cannot keep up and drops connection.

To test this go to your router wireless setup page and manually assign the least congested channel. Use the inssdier to determine least congested channel.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

@Gdkitty wrote:

I would guess the wifi environment.

That you can get the speeds on WIRED.. means the modem is working for the speeds it needs.

Even going with some things.. that there are MINIMUMS set up.. you SHOULD be getting speeds faster than that.
(EG, poor wireless receivers in the end devices.. might limit an N connection to only 150 instead of maybe 300, etc)

On your netgear.. what are the wireless settings you have set up?

Connection type? (b/g/n, N only, etc)
Security type? (WEP, WPA, etc)

Encryption type?  (AES, Tkip, both)

And a major thing, would be like datalink sugested.. would be to try INSSIDER if you can.. find out if there is any other interfearance from other wifi nearby.
Things NOT listed on inSSIDer tho, which can effect it.
- Metal - eg a major I Beam between you and the router, etc or near the router

- Anything potentially on the same frequency range:  Cordless phones/bases, microwaves, etc.

No metal or cordless phone nearby the router.

My wifi settings are as follows:

http://tinypic.com/r/2zedr83/8

Inssider network display:

http://tinypic.com/r/34ziz3b/8

PS. under Netgear R6250, advanced settings > setup > LAN, i have reserved the ips for these phones as well, still no luck.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok..

I am not seeing a spot to change it from B/G/N to N only, etc..
SUPRISINGLY that can make a difference.. not to the effect yours is having.. but at least max rates.

Security seems OK.

Channel wise... you are in some overlap there.. not SERIOUS, but some.

I would change the channel from AUTO.. to 7.. would give you the LEAST overlap.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yep, agree with Gdkitty.  To add to his comments, the selection for b,g or n operation is set on that page that you posted by changing the maximum data rate.  This is an unusual presentation as normally a router shows 802.11b, g and / or n as a selection instead of their corresponding data rates.  From the user manual page 26 comes the following quote:

"Mode. For 2.4 GHz, Up to 145 Mbps is the default setting, which allows 802.11n and 802.11g wireless devices to join the network. The other settings are Up to 54 Mbps, and Up to 300 Mbps."

Looking at the router settings, it is set to run at 300 Mb/s which is the highest rate you can run with a dual antenna device such as a laptop.  Looking at the inSSIDer page, you are only seeing something less than 144 Mb/s, most likely due to the fact that you can't run higher co-channels and therefore higher data rates for channel 11.  So, you are only using a single data channel while the router is set to allow the use of two co-channels for 300 Mb/s when it locates a suitable channel.  If you manually set the router to run on channel 6, you might just end up with channel 6 and channel 10 (4 channels up) running as the co-channel giving you 300 Mb/s for the laptop.  It will depend on the level of interference that the remote device or laptop sees for channel 10 with the router and device are communicating. 

It would be worth having a look at the Mode setting to determine if there are settings such as 54 Mb/s Only, 150 (144) Mb/s Only, and 300 Mb/s only.  Selecting 150 (144) Mb/s only, or higher would serve to lock the router to higher data rates, and prevent the router and remote device from running at lower data rates.

Here's the link for the manual:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R6250/R6250_UM_17July2013.pdf

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

No one has asked you what brand the cell phones are yet.  Are they iPhones? Some people have complained that their iPhones have had problems staying connected to wifi.  My iPads used to have that problem also but recent OS updates seem to have fixed it.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

For 2.4 GHz, i changed the channel from Auto to 7.

Mode settings are as follows: 54mbps, 145mbps, 300mbps. I have set this to 145mbps now, i have notice slight improvements, will post later if it disconnects or improves.

Two cellphones are HTC One (M7) and i5s, both had similar problems.