Wifi connection in and out for first few minutes

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Wifi connection in and out for first few minutes

Hello,

I am experiencing a problem where my Rogers wifi connection goes in and out frequently for the first few minutes after booting my laptop, i.e. will boot up a webpage, then clicking on a link will give me an 'unable to connect' message, then I can reload the homepage successfully then drops again, and so forth for 3-5 minutes typically...

I don't have this problem with my iPad. Also, I don't have this problem anywhere else with my laptop.

The router I am using is from Rogers, model Cisco DPC3825

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any ideas what the cause or solution may be?

Please let me know if you need additional information from me.

Thanks in advance.

T

***Edited Labels***

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Wifi connection in and out for first few minutes

Hi @ttttttttfdafdas

Welcome to the Community Forums!

Lets see if we can get to the bottom of your wifi connection.

How many devices are you conencted on wifi? What internet package are you on?

Maybe @Gdkitty or @Datalink, can provide some further assistance?

@RogersPrasana

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just to check things out on both sides of the modem, can you log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS..... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the Downstream and Upstream tables and paste them into this thread.  Those are the cable signal levels which might be of some interest at this point. 

On the wifi side, you can load inSSIDer on your laptop.   This is a wifi monitoring application which will show in graphical and text form, your network as well as the other networks that are running nearby, possibly interfering with your network.  For the graphical display, your network should be seen as the tallest network running.  The scale is a negative scale with zero at the top, and descending as you go down.  Typically your own network should be in the -40 dBmW range with the other networks running in the -85 dBmW range or lower.  If you have less than 40 dBmW separation between your network and someone else's, you can start running into problems.  The application can also be used to determine if you have a possible problem with the modem transmitter or possibly the laptop antenna or receiver card.  Constant low power levels from your network would point to one of those two possibilities.  You would need a third device to determine which one is the correct one. 

The inSSIDer application will monitor 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks, so if you have a dual band laptop, have a look at how many networks are running in the 2.4 Ghz band and how many are running in the 5 Ghz band.  There should be far fewer in the 5 Ghz band.  This might give you some idea that moving up to that band is the best path to take, in terms of solving this issue.  This version, which is the last freebie version doesn't show the 802.11ac networks in the 5 Ghz band, so its not a complete picture.  There is a newer version out which is a pay version which does and which runs on a normal 2.4 / 5 Ghz b/g/n laptop.  It will show the 802.11ac networks by reading the transmit headers and displaying those networks if there are any nearby.  For $20 US, its worth it if you decide that 5 Ghz is the way to go.  Have a go with inSSIDer and let us know what you find.

The application comes in Windows, Mac, and android versions.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi there,

I went through your two suggestions. Firstly, I had a lot of trouble accessing my modem as I don't know the username/password. I read online that cusadmin should be the username for my modem and one of password/serial number/wifi password for the password but none worked.

Second, I installed inSSIDer and found that there may be some issues based on your criteria. Not only is my connection (the starred one) not the strongest, but there are several others that are within '40' of my connection, as you can see by the screenshot below. There are many others too that I didn't caputre as I live in an apartment building. 

Does this help at all? Let me know if you need more info.

Rogers wifi info - Sept 20 2015.JPG

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, haven't seen the graphic yet as the mods have to approve those. If you're in an apartment that will be problematic.  There are normally a large number of 2.4 Ghz modems and routers running, so, depending on your laptop wifi card, usually the best route is to shift everything that you can to a 5 Ghz network.  I'll be able to comment further when I've seen the graphic. 

The password issue can be solved in two ways.  You can call tech support and ask them what the current password is, or have them reset it to something that you can remember easily or keep on record and have at your disposal, or, you can reset the modem completely by depressing the recessed reset button at the back of the modem for 30 seconds and then releasing.  That will reset all of the parameters back to their factory defaults including the password.  At that point you can log into the modem using  cusadmin  as the user name and   password   as the password.  You will also have to reset all of the parameters for the modem.  That should include:

Firewall  -  enabled

UPNP -  disabled.  This should be disabled unless you know that you need it for gaming purposes

WPS  -  disabled.  WPS is not secure and should be disabled.

WEP  -  disabled.  WEP is not secure and should be disabled

Wifi Security mode:  WPA-2    

Wifi Encryption:   AES  only.  Do not use AES/TKIP as TKIP is no longer secure and is not compatible with 802.11n data rates.

Wifi network names and passphrases  -  These should be long strings of random characters, numbers, and symbols.  The longer the better.  As you very rarely have to type in a network name into any device, use the entire string length, which is 32 characters.  The end result of random network names and passphrases will make a network more difficult to hack, to the point where other networks using default names will be better targets for anyone interested in network hacking.  You will have to reconnect your wifi devices to the modem again due to the change in network names and passphrases.

Can you check the product sticker on the back of the modem and let us know what modem you have, DPC-3825, CGN2, CGN3, CGN3AC, or CGN3ACSMR?  

Can you also let us know what internet plan you have, 60/10, 100/10, 250/20?

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@ttttttttfdafdas wrote:

Hello,

I am experiencing a problem where my Rogers wifi connection goes in and out frequently for the first few minutes after booting my laptop, i.e. will boot up a webpage, then clicking on a link will give me an 'unable to connect' message, then I can reload the homepage successfully then drops again, and so forth for 3-5 minutes typically...

I don't have this problem with my iPad. Also, I don't have this problem anywhere else with my laptop.

The router I am using is from Rogers, model Cisco DPC3825

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any ideas what the cause or solution may be?

Please let me know if you need additional information from me.

Thanks in advance.

T

***Edited Labels***

Also, what wireless network card does that laptop have? (Realtek, Intel, Broadcom, etc)

And any Internet security software?