Wifi - Internet usage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Wifi - Internet usage

How will using facetime on my iPhone over wifi affect internet data plan?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Wifi - Internet usage

From what I could find, FaceTime uses aprox 3-5mb per minute. If my math is right in my head, you will get about 3.33 hours for 1gb.

Hopefully that helps work out how much data on your plan it will use up

I'm a Senior Advisor

My understanding though is that if you are using Wi-Fi, it will not impact your Internet data plan, since there is no charge for using Wi-Fi.

I'm an Advisor

The data usage incurred by your smart phone connected to the WiFi on your Rogers Internet connection will be part of data usage for whatever means you use to connect to the Internet.  Therefore  your phone data plan will not be affected by any data transfers done by WiFi.  This is an incentive to connect to WiFi with your smart phone whenever you can.

If you use a cable modem, with minimum data usage plans of 20 - 30 Gbyte a month, for example, this will be a trivial amount.  If you use a RocketHub (as we do) with a 3 Gbyte a month usage plan,  this could be more of an issue.  My wife uses an Android smart phone and her phone connects to our home WiFi  when she is there, for the reasons I stated above.

skinorth

I'm a Senior Advisor

I should of made myself clearer. What I meant to say is that when using Wi-Fi, it will not affect whatever Internet data plan you have on your phone. As skinorth has so clearly pointed out, if you use your home Wi-Fi, it will of course count towards usage on your home Internet plan.